Symphony X's future

He mixed Opeth's Watershed and Ghost Reveries (their best-mixed album ever IMO

I would agree with this. Both of those albums were produced very well. I also wasn't saying Iconoclast's production was bad, but I wasn't blown away by it either.

Production is good, for sure, but it's not my favourite style of production. I prefer more organic qualities.
Maybe I'm just missing dynamics, because Frost* Milliontown has that over-the-top production quality, and I love it.

I prefer more organic qualities.

Same here. But how organic the instruments sound is 95% determined at the recording stage. You can't give your mixing engineer guitar tracks like those of PL and expect him to make it sound organic.

When I said PL and IC's production was no doubt top notch I was only talking about the engineer's work.

MJR's work is still great though considering he's no engineer, but not top notch of course, and I do prefer if he went with more organic sounds especially on PL.

Damn right brother.

Call me old fashioned but I actually like the Marshally guitar tone on V the best, especially that sweet lead tone.

The Line 6'ish guitar tone on PL is too digital and inorganic for me.

The modern, dry and ballsy Engl'ish (no pun intended) tone in IC seems right for that album but still not my favorite type of tone.

V's tone suffers from the lack of sharpness that PL and IC have, but it fits that album due to its heavy keyboard presence. I couldn't imagine a V where the guitar drowned out nearly everything else like it pretty much did on PL.

Yeah that would be a really shitty album. I would like the guitar tone to be a little crispier and the drums tighter too, though.

Mathiäs;10572074 said:
I would like the guitar tone to be a little crispier and the drums tighter too, though.

Oh, I agree. I feel that while PL and IC are mixed fantastically, the guitar is simply too loud. Turn that down about 5-10% and those albums would be golden.

A lot of people think that "metal is all about the guitar" and whatnot, but I disagree. Metal is about power and heaviness, and the guitar is just an ensemble part of that. Without the other parts of the equation, the guitar is nothing.

That's what I loved about Symphony X's earlier works -- aside from the solos, the guitar parts never really took center stage more than the other instruments did. Back then, MJR seemed to know how to write music as a composer instead of just penning riff after riff.

Production is good, for sure, but it's not my favourite style of production. I prefer more organic qualities.
Maybe I'm just missing dynamics, because Frost* Milliontown has that over-the-top production quality, and I love it.

Milliontown is fucking fantastic. Musically AND production. An all-star effort. PL and IC don't get to enter the same bracket as that album.

While everyone's opinion is true, to that person, I can't disagree with Matthias more. I LOVE the direction SX has gone in, and I have listened to Iconoclast at least 100 times. Yes, I said 100, with two zeroes. I said they couldn't top Paradise Lost, but Iconoclast does, by a small margin. They just get better, tighter, and truer to their own selves, and it shows. I bet if you asked them they'd say they are much happier now that they stopped bending to the whims of audiophiles and started doing what they like. I, for one, am ecstatic. I must not be alone, because their sales are higher than ever. I'm a music snob, and it is Symphony X's fault. All other music is "not Symphony X."

While everyone's opinion is true, to that person, I can't disagree with Matthias more. I LOVE the direction SX has gone in, and I have listened to Iconoclast at least 100 times. Yes, I said 100, with two zeroes. I said they couldn't top Paradise Lost, but Iconoclast does, by a small margin. They just get better, tighter, and truer to their own selves, and it shows. I bet if you asked them they'd say they are much happier now that they stopped bending to the whims of audiophiles and started doing what they like. I, for one, am ecstatic. I must not be alone, because their sales are higher than ever. I'm a music snob, and it is Symphony X's fault. All other music is "not Symphony X."

I feel that your point disproves itself.
Audiophiles (usually) would prefer the sound on IC over V or Divine. We're asking for something more real-sounding, not over-produced.
The fact that it's selling more isn't proof that it's better; if anything, it proves that it's more mainstream, which is anti-music snob.

There was a time when SX did the same thing to me as they did to you. They were the only band I listened to for a while because everything else paled in comparison. This was before PL.
Now, I rarely listen to them and I've moved on to what I consider better things.

New SX, although I do enjoy it, is mainly for teenagers.

SX not only somewhat lost me in their new direction, but the fact that they've only had two releases since 2002 is also affecting my interest.
PL was not deep enough to retain interest for 4 years, and neither is IC.