Taking Care of Your Hearing

Can anyone recommend a relatively cheap set of noise canceling headphones that work well? I have a tendency to break my headphones fairly easily, and I can't afford to repeated buy expensive ones?

Though I suppose my cheap ass headphones are probably a large part of my problem.

The ones I use aren't the ones where you can turn a switch to make it cancel out more noise, but my Sennheiser headphones are really cheap and nice. They don't get very loud though.

I worked at Northwest Airlink for a couple months. Wow it sucks when you are in a hurry and dont have time to grab ear protection. Loading bags a foot away from an engine is not cool.

ALWAYS wear earplugs at shows.
NEVER listen to music in any loud area... I only listen to my ipod when there is little or no sound in my house or anywhere else.
Keep the volume low or medium at most in the car or on the computer.
If you do turn it up only do so for a short time.
Try to avoid any noisy areas in your day to day life or use earplugs or ear protection in any loud area.

That's what I do.

I never wear earplugs at concerts, but I'll probably start now. I usually have music in my truck very loud and wondered about the decibel level.

As for suggestions, when I'm traveling I only turn it loud on songs I really enjoy. For others I still have it somewhat loud, just not as loud if that makes sense. About headphones, the way I judged if they were too loud is if I take one earplug off and then if the other hurts with just the one, then its too loud. Kinda dumb suggestions, but bottom line is loud music is going to hurt your hearing regardless.

Too strict for me, I'm of the opinion that I'd prefer to run my body down sooner on a crazy short life than carefully work to keep everything in tact to stay healthy and grow old. But at the rate I'm going, I'll be deaf by 30.

Too strict for me, I'm of the opinion that I'd prefer to run my body down sooner on a crazy short life than carefully work to keep everything in tact to stay healthy and grow old. But at the rate I'm going, I'll be deaf by 30.

well by the time you're 30 you'll probably be mature enough to realize you've been a dumbass for the last 10 years and then it will be too late... the irony

well by the time you're 30 you'll probably be mature enough to realize you've been a dumbass for the last 10 years and then it will be too late... the irony

I realize I'm being a dumbass, thats why I started this thread. I'm aiming to lose my hearing somewhere in the 50+ range, but I doubt I'll give up loud music entirely.

I realize I'm being a dumbass, thats why I started this thread. I'm aiming to lose my hearing somewhere in the 50+ range, but I doubt I'll give up loud music entirely.

you dont have to give it up entirely... wear earplugs to shows (trust me its still pretty fucking loud)... and don't play you music where it's loud... if you have to go beyond 25% of your volume then you are too loud... just turn it off until you can play it where it is more quiet

you dont have to give it up entirely... wear earplugs to shows (trust me its still pretty fucking loud)... and don't play you music where it's loud... if you have to go beyond 25% of your volume then you are too loud... just turn it off until you can play it where it is more quiet

My main issue is I listen to my music mostly on the commute to class. It's basically loud wherever I go in the city. I don't like to sit down and listen to music, I get bored faster.

I make it a point to never have the volume on my iPod above half. Usually I try to keep it so that the volume bar doesn't pass or is equal to the right edge of the album art. I also have in-ear earbuds that kind of act as earplugs and reduce ambient noise a bit, but I do want to get some seriously good headphones so that I can keep the volume lower even when it's noisy around me. I think I may take the advice of not listening to my music on the train. I usually need to crank my music loudest when I'm on the train, and even then it sucks because it's so noisy.

I haven't worn earplugs to concerts yet, but after seeing Sonata Arctica and ending up right next to the fucking speaker for most of the show and then not being able to hear properly the entire following day, I think that will change in the future.

My main issue is I listen to my music mostly on the commute to class. It's basically loud wherever I go in the city. I don't like to sit down and listen to music, I get bored faster.

sometimes i catch myself listening to music where it is too loud... but mostly if it requires me to turn it up really loud to hear it then i just make the sacrifice and turn it off... i figure its worth it... i can always listen to it in the car or at home where its quiet

sometimes i catch myself listening to music where it is too loud... but mostly if it requires me to turn it up really loud to hear it then i just make the sacrifice and turn it off... i figure its worth it... i can always listen to it in the car or at home where its quiet

dot

I'm definitely in the "moderation" camp, particularly because I'm now basically off listening to music on earphones/headphones. (And I'm a hobby musician!).

I was diagnosed with Ménière's Syndrome sometime back, but before I knew, I had terrible episodes of vertigo -- attacks that make movement impossible for hours, and make you vomit should you decide to go ahead and give it a shot anymore -- and my hearing on my right ear, in the lower frequencies, had already gone really bad: in the range of 40dB, which went as high as 60dB in about a month or so (around 60dB is severe hearing loss, although I was affected only in the lower freqs).

While the reasons for why I got Ménière's is not clear (it's idiopathic for now), my loud drumming (sans ear protection) and listening to music through ordinary earphones in busy buses didn't help either.

My hearing has basically come back to normal now in both ears (not very usual, this, I'm lucky), but the only time I put on a headpiece now is when I'm making a call in Skype.

I thought at one point that there should be regulation requiring that every store where musical instruments are sold (drums, especially), should also sell ear protection. I got custom-fitted earplugs some time back, and I carry them with me.

I don't intend to stop drumming, going to live shows or playing -- these are things I love and would like to always get to do -- but I have indeed learned the importance of basic protection.

Get some earplugs; I cannot stress enough how much they're worth it.

I don't listen to loud music all that often. I never have my Ipod above 15-20% with earpieces, and usually not above half with headphones. I'm most concerned about loud bars, actually. I wouldn't worry about trying to talk to people much during a set at a show, but it's hard to be at a loud bar and not communicate. I don't wear earplugs at shows, but I'm usually in the back anyway. I would never think of wearing earplugs at a bar.

I take fairly good care of my ears while playing drums. I can't play my drums at full volume for more than 10 seconds without protection. Cymbals are loud.

I've never worn earplugs at shows because I thought you wouldn't hear anything. You say it actually helps you hear better?

ALWAYS wear earplugs at shows.
NEVER listen to music in any loud area... I only listen to my ipod when there is little or no sound in my house or anywhere else.
Keep the volume low or medium at most in the car or on the computer.
If you do turn it up only do so for a short time.
Try to avoid any noisy areas in your day to day life or use earplugs or ear protection in any loud area.

That's what I do.

I've been very concious about these things as well lately. I always wore earplugs at shows but I stopped listen to stuff on my mp3-player in loud areas. I used to listen all the time at work but I came to realize it was a bad idea. I always cover my ears when trains pass at the train station as well. Just small things to do to protect the hearing.

I dont have tinnitus but I think I have something else. I rather not go out to places with loud music because I just dont hear what people say. I think my hearing has a hard time concentrating on one thing when there is lots of noise. Im not a very social person by nature but not hearing what people say at all totally isolates me and I feel dumd to continuosly ask what they are saying.