Taking Care of Your Hearing

I've never worn earplugs at shows because I thought you wouldn't hear anything. You say it actually helps you hear better?

I've been to well over 250 shows in my life...took me maybe 50 shows before I realised that earplugs were essential. Now I would never go to a show without wearing earplugs.

I also think I hear better with them then without.

1. Listen to music on speakers whenever possible.
2. Use noise cancelling headphones if you need headphones
3. Wear headphones at shows (you don't always have to, but it's a good idea).
4. Keep the volume down as much as possible.
You'll still go deaf in old age, but this should get you to 60-70.

Jet engine? You sure...
Jet is 200.

My main issue is I listen to my music mostly on the commute to class. It's basically loud wherever I go in the city. I don't like to sit down and listen to music, I get bored faster.
Either suck it up or get some hardcore noise cancelling headphones.
I've never worn earplugs at shows because I thought you wouldn't hear anything. You say it actually helps you hear better?
Indeed. For example, when I went to see Vital Remains I wore earplugs and the solos came through beautifully. Took them off and it was just a shitload of noise. Earplugs turn shit down and cut off high end, which means less feedback and shit.

Heh, didn't know they were that sophisticated to differentiate between the actual music and supplementary noise. I'll get some for the next major show.

They're not. I don't really know the technology. But [ame="http://www.amazon.com/ETYMOTIC-RESEARCH-ER20BP-Fidelity-Plugs/dp/B000CC1RPS/ref=pd_bbs_sr_3?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1216044451&sr=8-3"]these[/ame] work fantastically. Don't go for the cheaper ones. $15 really isn't that much.

So I think I'm gonna invest in some noise canceling headphones and I'll give the ear plugs at shows thing a try as well. Thanks for the advice.

Oh and by the way, can anyone recommend a good set of noise canceling headphones, preferably somewhere in the $50-$100 range?

I have some for about $70 or something that fold up. I forget what they are called though.

Yeah earplugs do help to reduce the noise. Especially stuff like guitar solos come through alot better with plugs. Sometime they are inaudible without the plugs because its just noise. However cheap plugs will make the bass frequencies take over which can be annoying in itself so get some good plugs if you want good sound.

The worst thing about plugs is that whenever you scream or sing along you hear ALOT of yourself :p