tattoo question

yllmar said:
"Ah, ok. That explains it, different dialect thing.
Thanks for the post, Blutaar. Saves me from having to look it up with the correct spelling.
Ok, so that leads up to the next question. What is the significance of the sunwheel? It just looked like a Nordic symbol to me..."

Sorry about the spelling thing - I just used the spelling I am most used to... Wasn't thinking. Mea culpa.

Anyhow, the sunwheel... It's a symbol so ancient in the Nordic countries that we don't even know if it is anything to do with the sun at all, but since it's so common we needed a name for it, and it looked like it may have had something to do with the sun, and it does in some other religions. Hence the name. It's inscribed in Scandinavian rock carvings that are about 10 000 years old. The iron age (read vikings), as a contrast, didn't happen until 2000 years ago (roughly), but because of the national romance age of the mid to late 1800's, we've come to connect the sunwheel with vikings, which is actually a fallacy. The sunwheel itself is so common in "nature religions" past and present that it can almost be said to be universal.

Yes. In MExico I visited an ancient native american city on top of a mountain (can't remember if they were Inkas or Aztecs or what they were) and they had lots of swastikas there. Our guide explained it to us, but I can't remember what the explenation was (I was young and he sunded like tony montana) but I think it had something to do with the movement of the sun.

Tyra said:
Sorry about the spelling thing - I just used the spelling I am most used to... Wasn't thinking. Mea culpa.

No need to apologize. I'm learning a lot of good stuff here. :)

Tyra said:
Anyhow, the sunwheel... It's a symbol so ancient in the Nordic countries that we don't even know if it is anything to do with the sun at all, but since it's so common we needed a name for it, and it looked like it may have had something to do with the sun, and it does in some other religions. Hence the name. It's inscribed in Scandinavian rock carvings that are about 10 000 years old. The iron age (read vikings), as a contrast, didn't happen until 2000 years ago (roughly), but because of the national romance age of the mid to late 1800's, we've come to connect the sunwheel with vikings, which is actually a fallacy. The sunwheel itself is so common in "nature religions" past and present that it can almost be said to be universal.

TheLastWithPaganBlood said:
Yes. In Mexico I visited an ancient native american city on top of a mountain (can't remember if they were Inkas or Aztecs or what they were) and they had lots of swastikas there. Our guide explained it to us, but I can't remember what the explenation was (I was young and he sunded like tony montana) but I think it had something to do with the movement of the sun.

Ah, ok. Nobody really knows what it means, then. I'll have to admit, I've never seen it before until I started listening to Amon Amarth.

Now, this leads up to my next question. Tyra, what exactly is the Aegismundr? I thought Aegis was Greek for shield? And isn't the mundr like a dowry? Again, I couldn't find anything on the 'net about what the aegismundr is all about...

well in hindu culture the swastika ´mneans something with protection of the family, therefor they put it on front doors and stuff. But since it looks the same as a sunwheel, these are often reffered to as swastikas in the english language.

TheLastWithPaganBlood said:
well in hindu culture the swastika ´mneans something with protection of the family, therefor they put it on front doors and stuff. But since it looks the same as a sunwheel, these are often reffered to as swastikas in the english language.

Because I am lazy, I have copied this very good description from
http://www.wildspeak.com//vilturr/runes/helm.html

"The Helm of Awe

Helm of Awe
~ the protective bind-rune ~

Also known as: Aegishjelmer, Aegishjalmur

The Helm of Awe is a bind-rune of eight Algiz runes radiating outwards from a central point (usually seen as the entity in need of protection), sometimes portrayed with three horizontal lines underneath each forked form. It is often thought that these three lines can manifest the many threefold aspects of nature, though some tend to think that these are the additional ‘soldiers’ behind the forked cavalry.

The version without the three horizontal lines is the most traditionally used, and the 24 cross lines can come to represent the 24 runes of the Elder Futhark. Some tend to think that it featured as an actual helm in the Sigurd/Fafnir myth. In practice it was tattooed or worn on the brow or on the chest. It could bring berserker powers to those in battle, and made one both invincible and irresistible. Draw your enemies to you, and they do not stand a chance in other words.

The Helm of Awe is not only a defensive symbol, but an offensive one. The forked border represents active offense, and the barrier it forms represents the defense of the inner vulnerable point. It’s most commonly used today during times of protection from questionable people and situations, to protect people, websites and buildings.

There is a sixteen-fold variation, which is the one I use, which is impregnable. It tends to look like an umbrella, and automatically incorporates Teiwaurz also, which additionally brings the protection and power of the war and god of justice; Tyr."

The Aegismundr on this page:
http://www.sunnyway.com/runes/warrior.html is very similar to my tat./T

Dude, there's a cool Swedish site that sells them. Damned if I can remember the name now, though. I know I found it by going into Google Images and searching under either Helm of Awe or Aeigismundr or Aeigishjelmr. I want that top that the New York felag sells. It has that big "traditional" pic of Frey with his big hard-on, and the caption reads "My god is better hung than your god". I just want to see the look on the faces of all the soccer-moms at my kids elementary school when I show up wearing that...They're all mennonites... And my husband needs the one that says "Lokispawn".

Tyra said:
Dude, there's a cool Swedish site that sells them. Damned if I can remember the name now, though. I know I found it by going into Google Images and searching under either Helm of Awe or Aeigismundr or Aeigishjelmr. I want that top that the New York felag sells. It has that big "traditional" pic of Frey with his big hard-on, and the caption reads "My god is better hung than your god". I just want to see the look on the faces of all the soccer-moms at my kids elementary school when I show up wearing that...They're all mennonites... And my husband needs the one that says "Lokispawn".

hahahaha that would be hilarious. mennonites eh....instead we have mormons and jehovas witnesses here, just as bad and they go door to door...but they dare not come to my house anymore muhahaa...

Thanks for the link, Tyra. :)

Tyra said:
It has that big "traditional" pic of Frey with his big hard-on, and the caption reads "My god is better hung than your god". I just want to see the look on the faces of all the soccer-moms at my kids elementary school when I show up wearing that...

Oh wow, I bet that would be great for a few laughs. :D

The Hormones and the Johos just plain don't bother with our house anymore. Apparently they are put off by the swords, battleaxes and the large skeleton that are the first things you see when one of us open the door. Or maybe it's the horg and runestone in the front yard, or maybe the bindrune on the doorjamb. Could also be the annoying skinny blonde (me) or her large husband or the very lagre dog that live in the house that puts them off... I'd like to know which one it is, so I can do it again of we move!

Y'all should come to Berlin - home of agnostics, atheists, nihilists and syndicalists... Not much better that's for sure. As a swede and erudite (somewhat) heathen I'd find it extreemly entertaining with some radical christians.

Tyra, hope you're not offended by this, but I always thought of you as fat. I guess I pictures you as one of those fat, braided viking women with a dress, buckles on their tits and a horned helmet that would sing opera in a Wagner prodiction. Me and my stereotypes...:rolleyes:

Naw, shit! I'm an absolute stick, rake, beanpole kind of a girl. No horns on the helm either! ;-)

And, oh, I've been to Berlin, in the stoneage, when there still was a wall and all. It's still pretty cool.