TECH DEATH MIX FOR YOU TO TRY

Second mix: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/10138888/UMF master.mp3

I toned down the bass end a lot (using some bass-heavy headphones really helped). Better? Still using your drums, sadly I don't have any drum VSTi's on this comp (the other one is broken).

Edit: Oh and I have to say I really apprecieate how you listen to everyones mix and post your opinions, that's awesome.

yeah it's still quite bass heavy in general; could definitely be brighter. the guitars don't really stand out. i mean they have quite a dull tone.

Here's my go at it. It's 5:30am my time btw. My lady needs to come back to our apartment from her family's house so I can start living a normal life again, lol.

I'm not sure if I have the drums sorted perfectly yet, but its so chaotic that it works either way ha. Mixed on headphones (cans for you brits)

Unmastered mix (better sounding, but not as loud, obviously). CRANK THIS SHIT!
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2883818/Meditative.mp3

"Mastered mix." Little t-racks and ozone cocktail. Shit, but loud as shit, haha. I hate what this did to my drums, but I didn't spend on time on the chain/settings.
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2883818/Meditative2.mp3

i think i can hear a reverb on the vocals that im not keen on.

what are you using for the guitars? like i've said to other people i think they sound a bit thin.

the drums also sound thin to me. the snare especially. but you said you hadn't got them sorted yet anyway...

i'm being mean today. maybe it's the weather.

Kinda not for me ... especially the on and off cupping is really annoying.
I'm also used to way lower pitch in Songs like these, there where no real "lows" in the song and I just happen to really dislike highs in most cases (well, except for Job For a Cowboy maybe :D).

in the band we decided that mega low singing wasn't right for our music and none of us could do it well anyway. i agree of course that the cupping business is annoying though.

your mix is sounding good, i would like that kick sample if you would be so kind as to share it. and maybe i will incorporate it into my own mix in the new year.

My first Mix in this forum... :)

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/7625817/Nevchrist_-_Meditative_RedPhoenix_Mix01.mp3

Amp: 5150 and massive post-eq.
The mix could be more transparent.. but i don't know how to achieve that. especially in the lows..

Alrighty, I'm sure everyone's plenty tired of listening so FWIW here's my mix and 5150 reamp.

5150 reamp

OD: OD808
Amp: 5150 Ch 3
Cab: Mesa 2x12
Speaker: V30
Mics: Trion 7000 & SM57

would it be possible for either of you guys to be so awesome as to share the reamped 5150 guitar tracks with us? pretty please?

Alright, here is some details about my mix.
Guitars: [TSE 808+Nick Crow's 8505]+LeCto (Orange channel)+Burny Mesa OS 6505 BR Center impulse
Drums: Metal Foundry argumented with 3 kick samples+5 snare samples :) [VC-64 and Transient Monster on drum bus]
Vocals: Voxengo Voxformer+some EQ

And here is the alternative version (changed LeCto channel to Red and some other stuff):
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2309705/UMF_6.mp3

I did a mix of this, but its over a long period of time when ever I had the time.
Now I dont have any reamp oppotunitys and only have amp sims that comes with pro tools.
So the guitar sound isnt all that cool! I think.
But it was good fun to try out, as im new to Superior drummer aswell which I used in this allso. Its not mastered as allways
anyways here it is.

UMF.mp3

Yesterday i got another Preamp. A Mesa Boogie Studio. So i try it out with this song.

I think it kills my 5150 :D

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/7625817/Meditative_MesaPre.mp3

And here are the seperated Guitarfiles you asked for:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/7625817/MeditativeGuitars.zip

I want to know what Guitar (and PU's) you used and what tuning? It sounds so... m/

A few people have asked me that. It was recorded a few years ago now but as i recall I used my Ibanez RG7321 with Seymour Duncan SH-1 59 (7 string) through an MBOX 2 mini and planetwaves cables. i used jazz III picks and elixir .11 strings.

fairly cheap guitar but good pickups and if i may say so myself-good playing. I may sound like a douche now but when recording metal im holding my pick with thumb and 2 fingers and playing as hard as i can (within reason) inspired by Dimebag, otherwise you end up with a clean but bland sounding recording like dream theater or something which may as well be a midi instrument.

Thank you for the guitar files, i will put them to good use. And i will listen to your new mix properly in a few days when i get home to my monitors.

Oh sorry, I remember that you mentioned your gear already. I guess i overlooked it after searching it on the last pages.
I've got an old Esp Ltd F-207..i want to replace the emg pickup, but it seems to be impossible because of the "block" form...a normal pickup fit not in :/ and i guess i need a tremolo version of the seymour duncon pickup..and for 7-string they don't exist...

Oh sorry, I remember that you mentioned your gear already. I guess i overlooked it after searching it on the last pages.
I've got an old Esp Ltd F-207..i want to replace the emg pickup, but it seems to be impossible because of the "block" form...a normal pickup fit not in :/ and i guess i need a tremolo version of the seymour duncon pickup..and for 7-string they don't exist...

tremolo version? do you mean single coil?

tremolo version? do you mean single coil?

No, he thinks that he needs a vibrato pickup because his guitar has a floyd or a kahler - a new marketing gag by EMG.
They now try to make people believe that the string spacing would alter the sound and that you would have to buy there leet-ass vibrato pickups inorder to sound good, as if floyds werend used with active PU's since 20 years ...

You totally don't need to.
Just go with the blackouts in whatever form they fit your cavitys and strings, I'm having them in a Floyd 7-string V guitar too and they sound awesome as they are.

Seymour Duncan sells their pickups as normal Humbuckers and "Trembuckers" a version for Floyd Rose Guitars e.g. the normal "SH-4 JB Modell" for fixed bridges and the "TB-4 Trembucker" for floydrose systems.
I don't know if it's really important..

In my 7-string there is an emg 81-7 (i don't like it) and i hold a normal duncan pickup besides the emg and i see that the magnets from the duncun aren't at the same point as the strings. In the middle of the pickup they are. But the magnets at the edge don't. And i have to shape the hole bigger for a normal pickup. the metal brackets for the screws fit not into the hole..
I want to try a "SH7-6 Duncan Distortion" ..or now a "SH7-1 '59 Modell" :D ..i like passive pickups ..but in consideration of the emg block form i can only build in a "SAHB-1 Phase II" (Blackout?)

zircon said:
No, he thinks that he needs a vibrato pickup because his guitar has a floyd or a kahler - a new marketing gag by EMG.
They now try to make people believe that the string spacing would alter the sound and that you would have to buy there leet-ass vibrato pickups inorder to sound good, as if floyds werend used with active PU's since 20 years ...

Seymour Duncan sells their pickups as normal Humbuckers and "Trembuckers" a version for Floyd Rose Guitars e.g. the normal "SH-4 JB Modell" for fixed bridges and the "TB-4 Trembucker" for floydrose systems.
I don't know if it's really important..

In my 7-string there is an emg 81-7 (i don't like it) and i hold a normal duncan pickup besides the emg and i see that the magnets from the duncun aren't at the same point as the strings. In the middle of the pickup they are. But the magnets at the edge don't. And i have to shape the hole bigger for a normal pickup. the metal brackets for the screws fit not into the hole..
I want to try a "SH7-6 Duncan Distortion" ..or now a "SH7-1 '59 Modell" :D ..i like passive pickups ..but in consideration of the emg block form i can only build in a "SAHB-1 Phase II" (Blackout?)

Trembuckers are nothing more than F Spaced pickups...While Duncan uses the Trembucker name, most pickup companies call their pickups "F Spaced" for use with trem equipped guitars. The string spacing on trems in general is wider than regular non-trem guitars. When you buy F Spaced pickups (or trembuckers if SD's), the polepieces will more than likely line up with the strings better than if you used non-F spaced p/ups.

Here is a non F spaced pickup on a trem equipped guitar. Notice how the polepieces don't line up. A trembucker or F spaced p/up will line up with the strings:
cycloneJBbridge.jpg

Also, generally most pickups that use bar magnets will not offer an f spaced variant simplay because the magnet reaches across all the strings as is, there are no individual pole pieces. Maybe I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure EMG's use bar magnets and do not offer F spaced variants. F spaced pickups have been around a loooong time, it's not a new thing at all.

OK people, I've heard what you can do and I'm impressed. Now it's your turn to rate my latest mix.

Guitars are PODFarm, the tone i posted on page 1.
Bass is Ampeg SVX, default setting, EQ cuts around 200-500hz
Drums are Superior Drummer 2.0 default kit but the snare is the Ludwig snare from Metal foundry and the kick is the DW kick from metal foundry as well. The original XLN Audio Addictive drums are blended in also.
Vocals are treated with some presets from Izotope Ozone 4 and some high end boosts for certain parts, i had to treat the cupped section differently.
Mastered with Ozone.

I think this is the best I've done so far. Stole a few ideas from you guys. Tell me what you think and be as mean as you like please.

Thanks for everything you guys have done.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5831187/Meditative 2011.mp3

the guitar tone is alright, but i'm finding the drums a bit raw.

you really need some more compression on the vocals, they sound pretty uneven.

the drums sound a bit raw and unprocessed too, which i don't think fits the style of music that much.

i'm finally sat infront of my new rig, and i've done a mix of this.

drums are S2 and slate, guitars are lecto, with some.. interesting EQing going on. this is my final mix, i think it turned out OK!

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/726501/Mixes/meditative.mp3

thanks,