Tech Death

GrayRain

Jun 12, 2010
Seattle
Been really digging tech death lately, but I need to expand my repertoire. I really like Individual Thought Patterns by Death and Darkthrone's one tech death album, Soulside Journey. I checked out Unquestionable Presence by Atheist, but I didn't really like it that much. Wouldn't be terribly surprised if it grew on me though. So, have at it! What's your favorite tech death band/album?

Hey, we get to name all the tech bands again!

Anyway, bands similar to Death (I think there was a thread on that recently too...): Illogicist and (the already named) Martyr are two of the most similar. You can try the Disincarnate album as well; it's not in the same vein but is very riffy and has great solos. Oh and Gory Blister, they even do a Death cover.

I love Gorod, really like Martyr, and Decapitated is alright but I couldn't get into it as much. Haven't checked out the others, but I will soon. Good suggestions, keep 'em coming

The only tech death band I listen to (and I'm going to get bitched at by someone, because they're not "technically" tech death) is Augury, and they're pretty fucking sick.

A friend of mine just recently started playing Gorod for me. Really awesome stuff.

Anata - Dreams of Death and Dismay
Mithras - Worlds Behind the Veil
Carcariass - E-xtinction
Cerebrum - Spectral Extravagance
Gory Blister - Skymorphosis
Decrepit Birth (they have alot of Death moments, so you'll probably enjoy)
Theory in Practice - Colonizing the Sun
Trauma - DetermiNation
Quo Vadis - Day Into Night
Psycroptic - Scepter of the Ancients
Scrambled Defuncts - Souls Despising the God

Gory Blister, later Death, Carcariass, and Augury are all good recs.

Traumu - Determination is a great album but I don't really consider it Tech Death.

Probably Atrocity's Todessehnsucht, since Elements and Focus are both quite light on the death metal.

Man Must Die
The Chasm
The Faceless
Beneath the Massacre
Brain Drill
Viraemia
Necrophagist
Visceral Bleeding
Ulcerate
Gorguts
Suffocation
Theory in Practice
Revocation
Insidious Decrepency
Psycroptic
Prostitute Disfigurement
Pavor
Obscura
Odious Mortem
Severed Savior
Nile
Mithras
The Monolith Deathcult
Cryptopsy
Martyr
Augury
Gorod
Krisiun
Hour of Penance
Fractal Point
Fleshgod Apocalypse
Exmortus
Dying Fetus
Drewsif Stalin's Musical Endeavors
Disavowed
Demilich
Decrepit Birth
Deeds of Flesh
Defeated Sanity
Cynic
R.U. Dead?
Anata
Arsis

Man Must Die, The Faceless, and The Chasm are my favorites of the genre. And ignore the stupid name of R.U. Dead?. Their music pretty much laid the foundation for bands like The Chasm.

Don't listen to a lot of tech death but Cynic and Obscura are pretty good.
Also I'm not sure if it's "technical" but Behemoth is pretty ace.

Man Must Die? you're fucking joking...they are boring as shit and more death metal/fagcore than anything....

prostitute disfigurement is fucking ace...i dunno if it's that technical though

What? Have you heard their No Tolerance for Imperfection album? The first three tracks especially are killer, and I see no deathcore in them.

But Descendants of Depravity seems like tech death to me...

i dunno i only have the new one whatever that is

and i've been listening to the new decrepit birth..i've always had mixed feelings about them, honestly i hate the guitar work it's really lame death style riffs but way faster, and the delayed up the ass cheap sweeps get annoying as fuck...it just seems a guitar fixated band, nothing else stands out