Technicality or stupidity?

Mercy/Severity said:
I have input. A metal magazine claimed Trivium to be a technical band. What the fuck.

I enjoy Nile a lot, and also Suffocation who have been deemed to be a tech death band
This is what i was getting. Bands that are hailed as technical, but clearly aren't.

I expected to be dissagreed with but i must say that i am rather disappointed. The guitar wanker kings, being Petrucci, Vai, etc. are terrible because they heartlessly jack off their guitar necks in chromatic scales 13-14-15-16 all up and down the neck. It is passionless nonsense that gets hailed as technical but is simple and as i see it fucking stupid. Nile and Between the Buried and Me are successful technical because they are not capable of playing fast and heavy, but slowing things down every once and while, and incorporate good solid solos while staying in key. That's real talent, that's real technicality.

instead of just discrediting my opinion because I said that a band you like isn't what I consider good technicality, think about what i'm trying to say. So many of you are just calling me stupid instead of actually trying to express a real opinion. Maybe list some bands that you think are good technical instead of trying to insult me.

For example, I like Meshuggah, iu just thinnk that they are radically overrated, specifically their new stuff. Every song is a collection of a whole two notes that are praised as technical just because thjey hit arbitrary eitghth notes. THAT'S NOT TECHNICAL! THAT'S BORING!

Instead of calling me names use your brain and try to express an actual opinion. If you don't think Nile, Golem, or Between the Buried and Me aren't good then tell me who are instead of just bitching. I'm not saying that they're the only technical metal bands, they are just the best examples i can think of.

Guitar wank is stupid.:yuk:

The Greys said:
Nile is just middle eastern scale single notes & palm muting. Nile do a hell of a job making sure to fit as much of both in every song & album. The band not use any interesting chords,etc...

Boring & monotonous.

They don't conjure images of vast, desert landscapes in your mind, or darkened temples and unspeakable sacrifices? I find their musical compositions very interesting, but moreover they manage to paint evokative images in my mind.

But hey, to each their own eh?:headbang:

Idunnonuten said:
This is what i was getting. Bands that are hailed as technical, but clearly aren't.

I expected to be dissagreed with but i must say that i am rather disappointed. The guitar wanker kings, being Petrucci, Vai, etc. are terrible because they heartlessly jack off their guitar necks in chromatic scales 13-14-15-16 all up and down the neck. It is passionless nonsense that gets hailed as technical but is simple and as i see it fucking stupid. Nile and Between the Buried and Me are successful technical because they are not capable of playing fast and heavy, but slowing things down every once and while, and incorporate good solid solos while staying in key. That's real talent, that's real technicality.

instead of just discrediting my opinion because I said that a band you like isn't what I consider good technicality, think about what i'm trying to say. So many of you are just calling me stupid instead of actually trying to express a real opinion. Maybe list some bands that you think are good technical instead of trying to insult me.

For example, I like Meshuggah, iu just thinnk that they are radically overrated, specifically their new stuff. Every song is a collection of a whole two notes that are praised as technical just because thjey hit arbitrary eitghth notes. THAT'S NOT TECHNICAL! THAT'S BORING!

Instead of calling me names use your brain and try to express an actual opinion. If you don't think Nile, Golem, or Between the Buried and Me aren't good then tell me who are instead of just bitching. I'm not saying that they're the only technical metal bands, they are just the best examples i can think of.

I kind of agree with you, to some extent. I would say that technicality in music is all well and good, but if it doesn't fit into a well constructed and enjoyable song, then really, what's the point?

Technical aspects can make the music more interesting, though conversely, some of my favourite metal tracks have been relatively simple compositions. For me, unless I'm doing the whole muso thing, it's really the visceral enjoyment of songs that appeals to me, rather than the careful dissection of musical technique. A case in point for me would be Yattering. I can appreciate the technical ability, but most of their stuff just flies past me in an uber-technical whirl. "Morbid Tales", by contrast, is by comparison so simple even a neophyte guitar player with sausages for fingers (i.e. me) can play the songs, and yet I don't seem to get bored of it at all.

I think, in summary, it all depends on the song writing. A stool made out of individually crafted pieces of wrought iron might be nice to look at, but often a plain wooden stool is better to sit on.

Yes, I am aware that the last analogy was shit. :p

Idunnonuten said:

Your opinion kicks ass! :rolleyes:

Carcassian said:
They don't conjure images of vast, desert landscapes in your mind, or darkened temples and unspeakable sacrifices? I find their musical compositions very interesting, but moreover they manage to paint evokative images in my mind.

But hey, to each their own eh?:headbang:

They don't conjure up anything like that in me, but I still like them okay. Nothing special though I haven't listened to them in a year or so.

The guitar wanker kings, being Petrucci, Vai, etc. are terrible because they heartlessly jack off their guitar necks in chromatic scales 13-14-15-16 all up and down the neck. It is passionless nonsense that gets hailed as technical but is simple and as i see it fucking stupid. Nile and Between the Buried and Me are successful technical because they are not capable of playing fast and heavy, but slowing things down every once and while, and incorporate good solid solos while staying in key. That's real talent, that's real technicality.

you haven't listened to much Dream Theater, have you?

Carcassian said:
I kind of agree with you, to some extent. I would say that technicality in music is all well and good, but if it doesn't fit into a well constructed and enjoyable song, then really, what's the point?

Technical aspects can make the music more interesting, though conversely, some of my favourite metal tracks have been relatively simple compositions. For me, unless I'm doing the whole muso thing, it's really the visceral enjoyment of songs that appeals to me, rather than the careful dissection of musical technique. A case in point for me would be Yattering. I can appreciate the technical ability, but most of their stuff just flies past me in an uber-technical whirl. "Morbid Tales", by contrast, is by comparison so simple even a neophyte guitar player with sausages for fingers (i.e. me) can play the songs, and yet I don't seem to get bored of it at all.

I think, in summary, it all depends on the song writing. A stool made out of individually crafted pieces of wrought iron might be nice to look at, but often a plain wooden stool is better to sit on.

Yes, I am aware that the last analogy was shit. :p
I agree. I don't think that all music has to be technical to be good. I own a Rob Zombie CD for fuck's sake.

Idunnonuten said:
I agree. I don't think that all music has to be technical to be good. I own a Rob Zombie CD for fuck's sake.

Dude you have to be the panziest metalhead in the world if you like that shit. I wouldnt recommend saying that again people might think your gay.

Krigloch the Furious said:
Your opinion kicks ass! :rolleyes:

a few posts later...

Krigloch the Furious said:
umm, Im not agreeing with you...

Contradiction???

Well, I will have to say, I understand the thread starter's post and agree.

Between the Buried and Me is very technical, as is Nile.
The Dillenger Escape Plan, even though I am not a big fan of them, are the epitomy of technical. There is no shredding or crazy solos, but I guarentee that if any of you Patrucci-heads tried to learn a Dillener Escape Plan song, it would be challenging. If any of you guys actually play guitar and are as good as I am, then you would agree that shred is easy shit. Now shred may be fun to listen to and sound technical as far as guitar is concerned, but when it comes to the band as a whole, there is very little technicality. I admire bands that spend hours on one phrase in a song just to make it come out technical. The threadstarter is talking about technical BANDS not technical GUITAR PLAYERS. I know that most of you are going to reply and say, "well Mike Portnoy is technical as fuck and he makes Dream Theater the most technical band ever, go die bitch!", but I am not impressed by him. Dream Theater may be good and fun to listen to, but they are the most overatted band in history in my opinion. Now I have not heard Necrophagist and therefore cannot compare them to Nile, but Nile IS technical period. There is no arguement. I believe Death to be the most succesful technical band, because The Sound of Preserverance is soooo impossibly technical to learn. I learned the solo to Dream Theater's As I Am in about one minute and thirty seconds, but songs off of The Sound of Preserverance take at least an hour.
Another technical band that no one has brought up so far is Cephalic Carnage. Their music is sooo technical and they play with 100% precission live it is truely amazing. Their guitar player plays half of their songs with his guitar in constant motion around his head (if you have seen them live, you know what I am talking about). Their drummer can kick Portnoy's ass with one hand. A gigantic drum set does not make a drummer the best drummer ever. Just look at the true greats and their drum sets, Bonham and Moon. They keep it small and simple and get their point across.

Vital Remains said:
Dude you have to be the panziest metalhead in the world if you like that shit. I wouldnt recommend saying that again people might think your gay.

I like Punk rock and cheezy metal like Danzig, but are you going to call me a panzy for it?

I own every Death albumn, I know Chuck's writing style, they are my favorite band, am I a panzy now?

I own every Emperor albumn, I know Samoth's writing style, they are my favorite black metal band, am I still a panzy.

I sat down and learned how to play Nile's User-Maat-Re on a Takamine acoustic guitar. Just because you listen to bands that may have no talent, doesn't mean you are a panzy. It should be about the feel. If you had any fucking sense, you would have read the first post and learned that the threadstarter likes bands like Golem, Nile, and BTBAM. Maybe you should try something called diversity and take that "I only talk about bands that other people talk about, because I am too much of a pussy to talk about the bands that I really like" dildo out of your ass and grow up.