Thales Track With Vocals!

Orchid

Nonchalant Onlooker
May 5, 2001
www.thalesband.com
Hello World.

We finally got some vocals recorded! The track is the same one we have up on mp3.com ("Song1"), but now it has a name. ;)

Thales - Torn (right-click, save as)

And the stalking horses..
The vocals were recorded on one take, and Marko got his throat dry at one point. We also recorded another take on the clean vocals, but some mysterious static buzz ruined them.

Here are the lyrics for you to read while listening to it: :p

"Torn"

Overlooking the gilded moonscape
enfolded in the thickening haze
I cherish your memory.

Your graceful features
etched in my eyes
still parch my soul.
We were so beautiful once
rivalling the gods.

On the brink of that winter you breathed your last
clutching at my arms, begging me to stay.
The torrent of my tears betokened goodbye.

I hid away, away from life, and to the darkest of hollows I kept, devoid of reason.
Like a nightly whisper I skulked the wintry trails.
My mind fogbound I followed the echoes of my own voice.

Is there no redemption from this dismal world?

One springlike dawn, a zephyr in my hair
the rustle of swaying leaves
the homelike fragrance of moorland.

I open my eyes to see your scarf on a bough.
In confounded joy I scan the skyline
in the sun's warmth I bathe.

The gentle beckoning of home.

Sighing I push aside the branches of vallenwood trees,
unlock the gate and leave behind the shackles of past.
Weeping I rush through the corridors looking for you
and in desperation I call out your name.

Climbing to the top of the hill I catch sight of a standing off sail.
My heart seeps blood, on the slithery stones I falter.
I can't fathom why you have left me.
I won't accept this bitter fate.

The dismay repatriates me, my gaunt being.
The burning trees fold down upon me.

I plunge aloft and hurl towards the waters.
This is my escape, I'm finally free.

Music sounds great, death vox are SUPERB...clean vocals need more practice, but have much potential and a unique charm about them and are almost on key.....maybe add some reverb to them, to give them some more "space" in sound? Excellent song guys! - cheers!

*Downloading*

Yesss, I'm totally in love with the growls!!! The clean
needs some work, but the growls alone "covers" all
the errors. I'm in love with this voice....

Oh yeah, this one's going on repeat!

I WANT MORE!!!

GOOD STUFF! The Singer's death vox are really awesome... some of the best i've heard even! and really cool song structure and such... impressive... Clean Vocals as Sadistik said are on their way :p Can see them getting good, for now they are just ok. Anyway good work boys!! HOORJ FOR THALES!

Okay, sure, some of the clean vocals are (very) slightly off-key, but the purpose of this recording wasn't to present you people with a top-notch studio-quality song. It is, after all, nothing but a "demo song" (recorded at rehearsal pad) with crappy guitar sounds and programmed drums.

when I said "almost on key" I meant to type "almost always on key"....they ahve promise, and I'd like to hear his cleans in a few more months!

Originally posted by Orchid
Okay, sure, some of the clean vocals are (very) slightly off-key, but the purpose of this recording wasn't to present you people with a top-notch studio-quality song. It is, after all, nothing but a "demo song" (recorded at rehearsal pad) with crappy guitar sounds and programmed drums.

Are you guys planning do a put the song on a CD? My progressive
metal band recorded with Goat studio program three of our songs
and we made a CD awhile ago. There are no singing yet, nor bass, but the guitars are surprisingly sharp. Both distorted, clean
and acoustics. I wish you could hear the CD and give me your comment, as we live near of each other...
Have you heard about goat studio?

Originally posted by StorTroll
Are you guys planning do a put the song on a CD?

Most likely we'll burn the .wav on a couple of CDs and give them around in case someone wants a copy. We'll re-record everything properly in the studio once we sign.

I wish you could hear the CD and give me your comment, as we live near of each other...

I can smell a meeting taking place in Corner Bar.. :p

Have you heard about goat studio?

No, I haven't.
We used SoundForge to record all the wavs, ModPlugTracker to assemble all the spliced guitar & bass wavs into a seamless stream of noises, along with the programmed drums. Then we did some compressing, EQing and added effects (delay, mostly) in SoundForge. I used CoolEdit Pro to mix the vocals into the previous "final mix".

A little less opeth influence this time around ( it sounds very similar at times but is because of your growler that sounds a lot like mikael but with john tardy elements to it ). I think you guys are getting closer to finding your own sound, the only opinion i could give is that you need to focus more on finding custom sounds and mixes of riffs rather than focus the song so much on songstructure wich will make all prog/opeth fans trow their panties around, but could lead into cloneband attacks. You guys have some great riffs going on for yourselves on that song with a great deal of styles, but i feel the song tries to go to too many places on the same song, perhaps it should concentrate on certain ideas only and expand on them, so it doesnt sounds so much like opeth.

I will expand with an indepth review later.