That rare album

Spiff

I have the power
Apr 14, 2001
Brisbane, Australia
Apologies if this sounds like an infomercial.

Anyone know of an album where you have no inclination whatsoever of skipping a track while listening to it, where you're more than happy to just let it keep going, where you actually like each and every song on it?

Some of my favourite albums still have songs which I don't like listening to. For example, I think Bruce's "The Chemical Wedding" is one of the best of the nineties, if not the best, yet I tend to skip "Killing Floor" and "Trumpets of Jericho" "Machine Men".

Turns out, though, that "Songs in the Key of Rock" by Glenn Hughes is an album which is chock full of great songs. Whenever I listen to this album it never even occurs to me to skip to the next track. Hell, more often than not I'll immediately go back and give it another listen once it's finished.

So yeah. Had to say that. Are there any albums in YOUR collection which fit the bill?

My favourite four albums, Master Of Puppets, Painkiller, Burnt Offerings, and Train Of Thought are all consistent throughout and don't require any skipping. The only time I skip is if I am keen for a particular song.

The Number Of The Beast is probably the closest Maiden album to being skip proof. Great solid album, especially the remaster with Total Eclipse.

Dungeon's original Resurrection comes to mind as well.

Nevermore's Dead Heart would almost be a winner if not for Evolution 169. Enemies Of Reality has no tracks I would skip, but it isn't as strong as Dead Heart.

Demons & Wizards' Crimson King is almost another, if it wasn't for The Gunslinger, which isn't a bad song, but I am not a great fan of. Also, Immigrant Song shouldn't have been tacked on the end with Lunar Lament being on the bonus disc...it should have been the other way around.

That is all from the top of my head.

I can't recall any album without a skippable track (although Serpent (UK)'s "The Serpent Cometh" is about the closest). I'm hard to please, I guess :(

Maiden-wise I'd lean towards their debut as being the closest to unskippable.

"The Serpent Cometh" rules, but I never did like "On Your Knees (With a Forked Tongue)" very much.

AC/DC Back in Black
the songs on that album seem to be in the perfect order and to skip a song would be wrong.

I rarely, if ever, even listen to Side B of Seventh Son. That's everything from the title track onwards for those who only ever heard the CD. :)

Metallica - Master of Puppets
Metallica - Ride the Lightning
(I would list all Metallica albums (except St. Anger with "Shoot me Again"), but those two are on another level entirely)

My Dying Bride - The Dreadful Hours (probably my most listened to album ever... it still gives me the same feeling I got when I first listened to it)
Led Zeppelin - IV (GREATEST ALBUM EVER.)
Type O Negative - October Rust (I read a review that fitted the album perfectly - they said there are albums that capture the feelings of summer, spring and winter in their music, but this is the first album to truly capture Autumn).

They're the first ones that come to my head.

Love that album, one of my top five or perhaps seven, but I just don't like Mudkicker or that other song on that I don't like. Can't remember which one it is.

W.A.S.P. the debut...

the godz you worship are steel,at the altar of rock n roll you kneel, a slave who forever rocks is chained in the devils locks, enslaved by the bloody axe I weild!

Spawn would have mentioned Slave To The Grind. I miss Spawn and his ways.

Only The Good Die Young is awesome Maiden, and a shame to miss out on.

Yeah, Metallica are one consistent as hell band. Master Of Puppets REALLY takes the cake though.

Megadeth's So Far, So Good...So What! rounds out my top 5 albums with the other four I mentioned, and I no longer skip on that either. I didn't used to be a fan of the Anarchy cover, but I have come to really like it now, so I really dig the album entirely.