THE 2003 METAL GODS TOUR: Lineup Announced!

ScottG

Apr 29, 2001
Long Island
THE 2003 METAL GODS TOUR: Lineup Announced! - Mar. 14, 2003
Former JUDAS PRIEST frontman Rob Halford's forthcoming U.S. tour, The 2003 Metal Gods Tour, will be a multi-band package featuring Rob's blazing quintet HALFORD, co-headliners TESTAMENT, IMMORTAL, SYMPHONY X, DARK TRANQUILITY, AMON AMARTH, CARNAL FORGE and more.

The 2003 Metal Gods Tour is set to kick off April 25 in Chicago, and will wrap up on the west coast by mid-June. This will be Rob's first full-length tour of North America in nearly three years.

"The tour is quite remarkable," Halford said. "Over the last decade, hard rock and heavy metal have fragmented into all these unique sub-genres, so we felt it would be ideal to put some of the best metal bands from the various genres together on the road. Today's Gods of Metal, if you will.”

The Metal Gods Tour will feature U.S. Bay Area thrash metal kings TESTAMENT. Also, New York-based progressive metal act SYMPHONY X. Rob Halford has often professed his affinity for bands of a darker nature, so the inclusion of black and death metal bands were an obvious way to round out a lineup.

Norway's black metal kings IMMORTAL are sensational, with their current release sitting solidly as the best in the genre. And it's no coincidence that three acts from Sweden have been asked to take part in the unique tour, as DARK TRANQUILLITY, AMON AMARTH and CARNAL FORGE are among the best from this Scandinavian hotbed of metal.

"It will be enjoyable to watch Metal fans of all types mix together with their enormous enthusiasm," said Halford. "Often fans of death and black metal bands won't go see some of the other acts co-headlining The Metal Gods and vice versa. We're accomplishing a lot together. I'm certain the bands are going to enjoy themselves as we roll around the U.S. and Canada, so the fans are certainly going to experience the best each act has to give. When done, the tour will be remembered as something rare."

The Metal Gods will take nothing for granted. They'll move briefly around the Midwest and then into Canada by early May. The Metal Gods will then visit the Northeast section of the U.S. and head down the coast into Florida and across Texas, hitting many western U.S. cities before surveying the landscape.

Tour dates, ticket and band information, etc. will be available shortly. Doors will open approximately 5 p.m. with performances beginning at 6 p.m. All venue times and band on-stage times will be available online just prior to the commencement of the tour.

I know I know!!!, im so there!

The Line-up is really weird yet it is so good at the same time. Can't wait to see SX again, and to see Halford (one of my fav singers), Testament (one of my fav thrash band), Immortal (never seen a black metal band live before, but these guys are good), and Amon Amarth/Dark Tranquility will be a treat as well!... I won't have to see AA on their NA tour, so thus I can save money up for this Metal Gods tour!

Probably be the best tour I'll see this year for sure, so exicted for this! :headbang:

I saw SymX in concert last night and this tour was mentioned, along with "we don't know if we're going to do it or not". I am trying to see if SymX is indeed confirmed for this.

markgugs said:
Man, the VAST majority of SymX fans won't know what to do with the likes of Immortal, Carnal Forge, Amon Amarth or Dark Tranquillity. This ought to be fun, :lol:

Heh, I was thinking the same thing. Although, based on what Metal Ages said, they might not be doing the tour, which I could understand, since they're sorta the odd band out on this lineup. I hope they do the tour though.

markgugs said:
Man, the VAST majority of SymX fans won't know what to do with the likes of Immortal, Carnal Forge, Amon Amarth or Dark Tranquillity. This ought to be fun, :lol:

:lol: Agreed! but they should do it, this tour should be good for their fan base.

Ultimate_Symphony said:
:lol: Agreed! but they should do it, this tour should be good for their fan base.

Yeah it would be good for their fanbase, since they're the only progmetal band playing, they will thus stand out from the rest of the bands. And their new stuff is heavy, the crowd will love it.

I'm not a fan of a lot of bands I've seen, yet when they play live it's still worthwhile to watch most of the time. I cite the recent seven witches show. Enjoyed them a lot despite not being a big fan of the album versions.

They should do it because of the large amount of exposure they get. I'm a symphony X fan, but I'm also a big Carnal Forge, Dark Tranquility, and Recently Amon amarth fan too. Seeing Halford and Testament will be pretty unique too since they are from the previous generations metal hey-day.

Having already seen a blistering set from Halford just a smidgen over 2 weeks ago, he'll definitely be great to see again.

Getting to see Carnal Forge for a 2nd time, Dark Tranquillity for a 2nd time, and Amon Amarth for a 3rd time will just absolutely destroy! \m/

And I've never seen either of the legendary Immortal or Testament, so my excitement is perhaps highest for them!

What an incredible tour lineup!

I'm a bit concerned about the potential for polarization between the individual band's audiences, but since bills like this are commonplace at European metal festivals, I'm sure there will be converts in both directions...after all, I've seen Amon Amarth shirts at Symphony X shows before. :)

Hey , what some people complains about the joining or not of SymX , but for me it would be glad to have variety , after all , all the bands have one thing in common. It's metal.