The Ancestry thread

Dec 5, 2002
Dallas
Not sure if this has been done here before, but Im bored and I figured I'd post something.

Im always curious about peoples heritage, and I've always thought it's interesting to know where you come from. So, if you know anything about yours, share it here if you wish. My family, specifically my mother started taking a serious interest in it several years ago, we've traced very far back, as follows:

Father- this was very easy to trace, you go back two generations of New Yorkers, and the whole family is right off the boat from Ireland. We have traced the lineage back to about the end of the 13th century in the Drumlich area of Ireland so far.

Mother- much more difficult and has required years of serious effort and research. The family lived in the west-mid west for several centuries, and has roots back to the civil war, revolutionary war, and original colonists in the Mass./VA area. Before that the family emigrated from Scotland, specifically the Aberdeen/Aberdeenshire area. The family is fairly concentrated in the area and the roots go back several centuries in this area. Around the ninth/tenth century the lineage actually goes back Iceland, from Iceland we see the family move from sweden for about a century. At this point the data becomes more and more sparce, but at the current time, we trace the family back to Norway, possibly to the year 292! The main data we are using are historically archives and Ancestry.com.

Here is where it gets nuts. The historians that hace traced the family from sweden since around the year 650-700 actually trace the roots back to Turkey, Syria, and eventually an area simply labeled Mesopotamia. This line of family roots is supposedly one of the oldest on Ancestry.com, the timeline goes back to 234 B.C. Now granted, the last 700-800 years are very very difficult to verify, and the chances of our family tree going back to ancient Mesopotamia are more than very slim. Even so, I think its pretty fucking cool thats there even a chance this could be our family tree.

Damn that was long. Anyone else?

Adopted and have absolutly no idea, except part native which I milk during arguments when really I don't even know how much % I am, haha.

My gramma is fron finland, rest Swedes.

Norsemen often travelled to the mesopotamian area, though a bit later usually but it's not entirely impossible. Will try ancestry.com, maybe there's some related folks here!!!!!!

Mom's maiden name = Hoey, from Ireland
her mom was Schueler, from Glaucau, Germany

Dad's mother's maiden name = Blanchard, our last name was originally spelled de Bures, and we can directly trace our line back to
Bures_Robert_de_(s).jpg

Robert de Bures, 1302

beyond that is educated conjecture, but with that name and as Robert was a landowner and knight, he was undoubtedly norman. There was a de Bures who came over in the 1066 invasion. Soooo....go far enough back and that would take me to Sweden or Danemark.

Personally, I have no problem with admitting Im American, especially since half of my family has been here for centuries. Im not ashamed of any of my ancestry really, I mean, unless I found out I was related to Jesus or something :loco:

lizard said:
I'm one hundred and fucking percent american. but we all came from somewhere, even your landbridge walking ancestors.

Yea I know, but same goes for the Germans, Irish, etc. etc. and whoever else people are always saying they are 1124355234 PERCENT ____.

Ohh yea I forgot to mention, before mesopotamia, the earliest record says 243 B.C. in....Canada. Im guessing the only way they could have migrated from Canada to Mesopotamia is the long gone pacific landbridge. To be totally honest though, im not putting any real stock in anything before Sweden/Iceland, as its probably like 3% verifiable or something silly.

My grandparents on my mothers side are both from scotland. And the family there has stayed in scotland.

On my Dad's side, he was adopted so no clue. We just roll with where his adopted (as far as he's concerned, real) parents were from, which is Wales.

Mother - 50/50 English and Scottish
+
Father - 50/50 German and English
=
Me - 25 German / 25 Scottish / 50 English

the end, as I've recently figured out.