The Ancestry thread

Henrik: that is an interesting one right there!

thought: America is not the first culture to arise from a combination of distinct backgrounds, nor is it the last. In time, the disparate parts will blend together. (barring unforseen circumstances) This is an ongoing process which has already been happening for quite some time hasn't it?

Oy, I could write a short thesis on the various immigrants that make up both sides of my family, suffice to say as far back as the late 18th century on both my mother's and father's side we've been American citizens. The most recent immigrant is my mother's grandfather who moved here from eastern Russia and married a woman who was of Iriquois and Scottish descent.

For the argument tull was brining up, Australians seem to have that also.. although i say i have scottish etc. background my mums side has been here since the early 1800's not sure on my dads. What im trying to say is im a dman Australians as simple as that.

I just remembered why I didnt make this thread before, because I knew you jews would raise hell and declare that no one is proud of there American heritage. Totally missing the point of this thread. If you dont care about your lineage before America, then dont post it, or dont post in the thread at all. I dont think my heritage or anyone else's really makes them "cooler" or of better quality than anyone else, I just think it's interesting to know your past and your heritage. I am NOT saying that Im a fucking viking or that Im a scottish higlander because of my ancestry. I think its pretty fucking cool that I've had relatives in the civil war, revolutionary, california gold rush etfuckingcetera. Hell, we even had Chikasaw natives marry into the family.

K, all this shit about 'I'm curious/interested in my heritage' is A LOT different then the people I'm talking about. Come on now. I'm curious about heritage and such as well, TRUST me, because I have no idea where my ancestors are from.

This is still a lot different then the attitude I was posting against.

EXAMPLE: People claiming that America has no Culture or Heritage and desperatly search around for some other culture they can latch onto, then search there family tree for a realitive with some of this blood, then wear that 'culture' on their shoulder for everyone to see. Many Black Metal kids do this with scandinavian heritage, for example.

heritage is fine, but people saying there is no such thing as a person being "american" is bullshit. everyone has ancestors from somewhere other than the country they were born. FACT. (except maybe africans)

lizard said:
That's crazy, america has a super rich culture. Frinstance, w/o america, no blues, country (although bluegrass is celtic in origin), no rock and roll or jazz... And...no mcdonalds, which now rules the world.

Exactly. I do think our lack of ancient buildings and the boring archtecture that makes up most of America is what a lot of non-american folk look at. Not to mention America is vastly younger than European countries.

vinland.gif
= Seriously, how much of a poser can you be? Give me a break.

Okay I understand the position you guys are taking, I just dont think anyone in this thread has presented that attitude, and it seems like anytime I try to bring this up (at least with people in the area I live it seems) I get accused of being ashamed of being American or some nonsense.

Krigloch the Furry-ass said:

Vinland, dude. You know, the settlement found in what is now Canada, which has evidence of Vikings. Why Americans cling to this, I do not know.

Dick Sirloin said:
I thought it was the Type O Negative flag... :confused:

it is. Steele made up the flag to symbolize Vinland (now Newfoundland), which is where Norse peoples made a settlement. some idiots though have taken t to heart. another one of TON's great jokes.