The Ancestry thread

b_5188-0.jpg

+

_41344233_santaafp300.jpg

Would be interesting to research this. Sounds like too much work to me though. I simply don't know how any of it prior to the 1850s is even remotely verifiable.

dorian gray said:
Would be interesting to research this. Sounds like too much work to me though. I simply don't know how any of it prior to the 1850s is even remotely verifiable.

you might be pleasantly surprised. what with online sites and whatnot, alot of the work may already be done for you. I have a cousin in the DC area who had spent a small fortune traveling to England, translating documents in various languages, etc.

Father = English
Mother = Scottish

Don't know about anything before that.

It only ever seem to be Americans who care about this stuff.

I'm Canadian/Italian, half and half. My mother's ancestors came to Canada in the 1700s and though I'm not sure of the details, my grandfather has studied our lineage extensively and has even had a book published on the subject. We have a copy, I should really read it.

My father's family were poor Italian post-WW2 immigrants. In the early 20th century, his mother's family operated some kind of travelling game thing and moved all around Europe (thusly gathering a really nice coin collection which my great grandmother passed on to me when she died at the age of 91. When my grandfather came here he was completely illiterate and had to have a priest write him a letter to send back to my grandmother in Italy. His friend did this at the same time, sending for his girlfriend, and they were married in a double ceremony once the ladies arrived. He went on to work as a farmer, miner, foreman, etc. and somehow saved up enough to leave my dad and his brother each over $300,000. Kind of a cool story actually... the two sides of my family seem to be polar opposites!

edit: funny story. My girlfriend is Irish. Her godfather has made derogatory jokes about Irish people for as long as she can remember. He recently began researching his ancestry and discovered... well, do I even have to say it?

Well, maybe some Americans care a lot about this kind of stuff because they don't want to be labeled as "full-blooded Texan" or "full-blooded Floridian" or "American". :Smug:

MFJ said:
Well, maybe some Americans care a lot about this kind of stuff because they don't want to be labeled as "full-blooded Texan" or "full-blooded Floridian" or "American". :Smug:

Well of course thats WHY they care, but it still doesn't make it any less true.

It's easy for a German to say "I am German" because their heritage is made of up people from Germany. I think it's weird to just say "I'm American" or texan blah blah blah just because my ancestors came to this weird-ass melting pot from somewhere else, it's just where they lived. I'm not native...*

*yes I know the natives didn't call this place "America"

i don't give a fuck for the right reasons. like what difference does it make that my dad's grandfather's grandfather was from England and banged a broad from Germany then came to sit his fat ass in Texas.

I'm Texan. End of story. i hope generations from now, assuming America is still on the map and not infested with billions of spics, that the people who live here wont go hunting to find out that some long lost dead ancestor was 3% antarctican. talk about identity crisis

MFJ said:
It's easy for a German to say "I am German" because their heritage is made of up people from Germany. I think it's weird to just say "I'm American" or texan blah blah blah just because my ancestors came to this weird-ass melting pot from somewhere else, it's just where they lived. I'm not native...

I'm sure there are PLENTY of Black, Asian, etc. people that are very proud to call themselves Germans, just as there are many that are proud to call themselves Americans. People wonder why America lacks heritage and culture (which it doesn't), but its people that put up a wall around the fact that they ARE Americans, and not Irish, German, Itallian, African, or watever else, that are lessening the growth of our extremely unique and interesting heritage.

OH NOES we don't have Vikings, woe-is-us.

J. said:
i don't give a fuck for the right reasons. like what difference does it make that my dad's grandfather's grandfather was from England and banged a broad from Germany then came to sit his fat ass in Texas.

The difference is that you know about it and care about it so your fucking history doesn't go back only 300 years to the holy constitution.

J said:
I'm Texan. End of story. i hope generations from now, assuming America is still on the map and not infested with billions of spics, that the people who live here wont go hunting to find out that some long lost dead ancestor was 3% antarctican. talk about identity crisis

Uh... I didn't say I like to know this stuff so I can tell people that "Those who aren't of European blood are fucking degenerate whelps", just refer to what I said above. If I was Antarctican, that would be cool... who the fuck else is?

My father's father side came from Germany to Bergen, Norway in the 1600s (we have some neat, original German documents and stuff from the 1500s, pretty kool). My father's mother side came from Scotland about the same time, I think.

My mother's ancestors are 100% Norwegian as far as I know.