The bass on Watershed

Black Session

Heretic Misanthrope
Oct 5, 2005
Brugge, Belgium
Just an aspect that hasn't gotten enough attention according to me. I listened to the album intensely last night, and the amazingness of this album totally hit me ...
There was some idiot on this forum earlier claiming the bass doesn't get enough space in Opeth, well he hasn't listened to Watershed in the right way then! Mendez does an amazing job on this one. It very rarely just follows the guitars, instead it's being used very creatively, has many improvised variations throughout all the songs, has it's own basslines to play, and is a vital part of the basic structure of all songs on the album.

Great work Mendez! :kickass:

I totally agree. His work on this album is marvelous, especially Coil and Hessian Peel. Hex Omega also has some very noticeable bass. Great work on Mendez's side indeed.

I absolutely loved the bass on watershed, I hope mendez continues like this, and I hope opeth gives him the space to do so!

Yeah the bass work does'nt get enough attention - it adds alot to watershed - I especially love it in the "Heir Apparent" outro.... *drool*

Ever since Damnation (obviously), Mendez has been getting more presence.

He did have great moments on Blackwater Park and Deliverance, too (outro to "The Leper Affinity" comes to mind), but he's always doing something cool on the latest albums.

I hope he continues to be given opportunities to shine on future records.

Actually I've never listened carefully his bass in Watershed.
I'll have a check FOR SURE.

I loved his bass lines in BW Park. Just check the one of "The Drapery Falls". :)

Indeed. Mendez has an awesome, very original style. I heard somewhere that Mikael writes his parts, but that's probably bs.

Since I purchased my new headphones (Grado sr-225's) I can really clearly and loudly distinguish his bass lines, and they are nothing short of phenomenal.

What do you need to do to hear the bass lines clearly and loudly then buying a new set of headphones ? Would it be helpful to increase the bass settings of the equalizer in my mp3 player ?

I heard somewhere that Mikael writes his parts, but that's probably bs.

Yeah, I doubt Mike would always be referring to Mendez as a 'legend' of the bass if all he did was play what Mike wrote for him. I mean, I'm sure Mike writes some bass parts, but probably not the majority of them.

And I, for one, can hear the bass clearly on Watershed. It never hurts to put the bass up in the mix, though, so maybe next album? But then, I'm a bass fanatic.

I agree with the OP, I actually wanted to make a post about this very subject some time ago. But then I thought, nahhh..
Anyway, my AKG K701's are doing Mendez some real justice. It does help increasing the bass settings, but it really depends on how good of an equalizer it is, and all that. My favourite Mendez-part is the Mario-craziness on The Lotus Eater.

I think Mike writes some basic bass lines, but Mendez has his way with it obviously ... I don't think Mike would want anyone in the band who isn't capable of adding to the music (the plug-in guitarist mention in another thread comes to mind).
Also Burden, in which the guitars only get finishing touches roles, was composed/written solely by Mike, so he really does compose with all the instruments in mind ... the eternal discussion on this thread of how much is written by Mike, and how much is a result of the other members input :)

Mendez's bass is just amazing on nearly everything, you just have to have an ear out there to catch it. Sometimes I find myself hearing it and not actually thinking it's bass, only then realizing. I love his bass, which I've noticed is getting higher in the mix, I just hope they bring it up a little more because they are great to hear.

I agree, on all albums Mendez is really amazing. He's one of the best and most underrated in my book.

He is awesome...except for the fact that I can't hear it as well as some of his other works. The bass on Ghost Reveries and Blackwater Park are loud and the lines are amazing. I will try to pay more attention in Watershed. I guess I was too in awe with the guitars, drums, keys and vocals.
I wish the bass was a little louder live.If I had one minor gripe about the show in Dallas, the bass wasn't loud enough. Then again when you go to a show that has more then 3 instruments the bass is always toned down, drowned out or not loud enough.

It's nice though to hear a band where someone actually knows how to play the bass guitar. I swear there is too many bands out there that just mimic the guitar and do nothing interesting except provide bottom feed.