The bass on Watershed

Mendez's part is not as distinguishable on poor speakers. Make sure you're using a nice system or decent headphones or something, and you absolutely can't miss it.

you guys also agree that his bass has a really really nice sound? ... i wonder what his contribution in the set-up and engineering of the bass sound is. it is such a full warm sound, i love it!

you guys also agree that his bass has a really really nice sound? ... i wonder what his contribution in the set-up and engineering of the bass sound is. it is such a full warm sound, i love it!

Jens Bogren said:
The bass on Ghost Reveries is a few different basses, in to an Ampeg SVT amp and a 8x10 cab. Sounded beautiful. Neumann U87, MD421, SM57 and a Di.

Watershed was recorded with a Mesa Rectifier in to a 4x10 Ampeg Cab, mixed with the Di. Several mic's, don't remember.

Yeah, I doubt Mike would always be referring to Mendez as a 'legend' of the bass if all he did was play what Mike wrote for him. I mean, I'm sure Mike writes some bass parts, but probably not the majority of them.

And I, for one, can hear the bass clearly on Watershed. It never hurts to put the bass up in the mix, though, so maybe next album? But then, I'm a bass fanatic.

I'm pretty sure Mike writes most of the bass parts.

Eh, did he tell you or something?

Besides, in the GR session diary, Mike says something like "Mendez bass work is awesome, his best work so far"

I don't think he would praise Mendez's work like that if he wrote his parts, it would be stupid.

Mike is of course going to write the basic basslines, because it has to follow the guitars in some parts to sound thicker. But Mike's not going to write the fills and such, nor would he turn down an idea for an interesting bass part under the guitars (ie the end of TGC where the bass is going nuts, the slap solo in BWP etc).