The best album of 2003 (so far...)

am I the only one here that doesn't like Recreation Day? I mean theres some cool stuff on it (the title track rocks) but it bores me pretty fast. I don't think its ever held my interest long enough to listen to the whole album :p.

Yngvai X said:
am I the only one here that doesn't like Recreation Day? I mean theres some cool stuff on it (the title track rocks) but it bores me pretty fast. I don't think its ever held my interest long enough to listen to the whole album :p.

I was disappointed by it. I thought In Search of Truth was much better.

it was the one album in late 2002/early 2003 that really captured my attention. i was somewhat disappointed by the odyssey, deliverance, and epica when i first heard them (three of the four i had been looking forward to for months) though i love them all now (except epica... still having a hard time with that one). Evergrey was the one that i had been looking forward to that i felt delivered the goods 100%.

by the way, the odyssey was awesome, i just had unrealistic expectations. *shrugs*

Yngvai X said:

We're all quite familiar with your dislike of Evergrey. now run along...

Recreation Day was definitely high up on my list, until recently. I'll have to go with the new Balance of Power, "Heathen Machine." You'll all agree when it comes out. :)

Those of you going to ProgPower USA this year may get to agree with me sooner. :D

--Mike

theodyssey said:
it was the one album in late 2002/early 2003 that really captured my attention. i was somewhat disappointed by the odyssey, deliverance, and epica when i first heard them (three of the four i had been looking forward to for months) though i love them all now (except epica... still having a hard time with that one). Evergrey was the one that i had been looking forward to that i felt delivered the goods 100%.

by the way, the odyssey was awesome, i just had unrealistic expectations. *shrugs*

I have to agree... "Recreation Day" is one of the very few that has lived up to or exceeded my expectations in late 2002/early 2003. There have been so many disappointing albums for me. Three incredibly disappointing albums for me just came out... the new ones by Enchant, Nevermore and Secret Sphere. Even the "Odyssey" was a very slight disappointment... but I guess that's because when I think of Symphony X, I think of "V" instead of their more standard metal stuff... I still love "Odyssey", but I guess I was expecting more. But that's probably my fault for wanting another "V"!

is the odyssey a 2003 release? I thought its a 2002.. but..2003 isnt finished yet so i dont know, Star One was great, there were some others people mentioned that i thought were good (cant remember which now, i'd have to go back to the first page) others i havent heard yet.

Bow youe head in shame Yngvai X! Tisk Tisk Tisk, Shame!!:)
No seriously, Why? I thought it was amazing.

I refuse to post only one... So here goes...

O.S.I - Office of strategic influence
Evergrey - Recreation Day
Opeth - Damnation
Masterplan - Masterplan
Pagans Mind - Celestial Entrance
Andromeda - Two is one
Kamelot - Epica
That's all for now...

Evergrey-Recreation Day
O.S.I.-Office of Strategic Influence
Andromeda-II=I

I'm hoping the iced earth album kicks unprecedented levels of ass. I have yet to listen to Adagio-Underworld as well, that might have been on my list.

Surprised Neither of these were mentioned

to me it is a toss up between Anthrax "We've Come for You All" or Devin Townsend's "Accelerated Evolution"

but the year is still young!!!

Yngvai X said:

No you are not alone and I agree a few songs grab my attention but the whole disc doesn't.

I gotta say Evergrey is not THE absolute best IMO.. its cool, but i get bored of it quickly and find it all a bit monotonous.. i like it, but have a hard time rating it 'up there' with the best

I'm with ProgMetalFan on this one about Evergrey. They're my favorite band behind Symphony X.

Although, Recreation Day isn't my favorite album by them, they're definitley my fav.

I am sure my pick will be Adagio's new one (I haven't received it yet)
I was not knocked out by much of anything for the year (so far). My biggest dissapointment was "Epica" probably because my expectations were so high....it did nothing for me, really. Same with "Redemption"....I was excited about it, but couldn't get into it at all after I listened to it.