The best gig you've ever been to?

Iron Maiden on the Somewhere Back In Time tour at Heavy MTL was amazing. Loved Roger Waters' The Wall on the Plains of Abraham last year too.

Was pretty stoked finally seeing SOAD live too!

Tool in 96.

Dropped acid. Maynard was painted blue. First song was Third Eye. Will never forget it.

First Gorgoroth concert I went to. The atmosphere was insane. A part of the bathrooms was covered in blood.. very 'Helvete' vibe.
My first metal concert ever (with Cathedral), well it was my first. I heard there was some vandalism at a nearby cemetery afterwards, missed it though.

Good times.

First time I saw Dimmu Borgir was special, too. Metallica, the first (and only) time I saw them. And the sound from Joe Satriani is the best I've ever been to.

Behemoth were great, loved Visceral Bleeding in Roskilde a few years ago, but I am still unsure.
Probably Devin Townsend 2010(?) and Bolt Thrower (can't remember the fucking year), pretty
different, Devin Townsend was more like a big party while Bolt Thrower was one of the most
intense things I ever experienced...

would have loved to see Pantera, but I wasn't even 14 when they played in my area the last
time.

I'd say its between Behemoth and Devildriver '09 in Newcastle UK, or when I flew over to Florida to catch Gojira,Machine head,Trivium and Lamb of God on the Sacrament tour of '07...

Seems like an appropriate thread to ask whether anyone else feels the same way I do about black metal in a live context.
When it comes to "proper" black metal (not stuff like Behemoth or Dimmu) it just doesn't work in a live context.
It just doesn't make sense to me. Even some of my favorite bands, Gorgoroth for example, who play their shit well and are alright showmen just fall flat in that context.

Seems like an appropriate thread to ask whether anyone else feels the same way I do about black metal in a live context.
When it comes to "proper" black metal (not stuff like Behemoth or Dimmu) it just doesn't work in a live context.
It just doesn't make sense to me. Even some of my favorite bands, Gorgoroth for example, who play their shit well and are alright showmen just fall flat in that context.

I just saw GodSeed (the guys from Gorgoroth) a couple months ago and to me it worked great in a live context, I agree it's not easy for a band to make it work, but these guys sure did. I saw Marduk a few years ago (2006 maybe) and they were good, but as you say the whole "atmosphere" didn't really work.

I really really wanted to love Metallica when I finally saw them last year at Sonisphere, doing the Black Album thing, but I left halfway through the Black Album, I just wasn't feeling it at all, and Gojira was about to start in the smaller stage, now THAT was worth ditching Metallica for.

My favorites have to be Maiden Somewhere Back in Time in Caracas, Venezuela, Carcass in Caracas, Mago de Oz in Caracas the first time they went (Gaia II is a ridiculously brilliant and underrated album by haters of the Spanish band who criticize everything they do because they have violins and stand up for gay rights), probably Opeth in Madrid in their Heritage tour (my first time seeing my favorite band, even if there were no songs with growling, it was mind blowing, those guys can fucking play). I'm probably forgetting a few great concerts, choosing only one is ridiculous. Oh yeah Nine Inch Nails, Lights in the Sky over Venezuela, awesome.

I'll break it down into a few catagories:

Colosseum type venue: Iron Maiden - World Slavery Tour (Hartford Civic Center - January 14th, 1985) I was in a my senior year of high school and I went with about 10 friends piled into two cars and had a great time - we still talk about that show (having Live After Death documenting that tour helps keep it alive in our memories).

Club venue: This is more difficult because I saw a lot of bands that made it big later on, in smaller venues back in the 80's. Two of my favorites and memorable shows:

Metallica - Damage Inc. Tour (The Agora Ballroom, West Hartford CT - November 30th, 1986). This was after they had gotten off the road with Ozzy and was not in the arena atmosphere many had seen them in after they really broke into the big time with Master of Puppets. It was in a room that held maybe 300 in the smaller stage side of the warehouse (it was a large room, but they would close off the large stage side for smaller acts and it would limit capacity to between 250 and 300 if memory recalls - when the whole place was open it held about a 1000). I was 19 and much more rowdy than this 45 year old now find himself - my friends and I got front row - pressed up against the 4 foot stage by the crowd behind - this was before moshing really existed, a year before Anthrax revved it up with it's release Among the Living and "Caught in a Mosh" (which I saw at least four times around the same period at the same venue, they seemed to open for everyone on east coast legs back in the early/mid 80's. Side note: I also saw Megadeth probably three times there as well) somewhere between Jason (this was one of Jason's earliest shows with Metallica after Cliff's death a little over two months before) and James. The setlist was great, the band tore it up that night even with Cliff's absence ever present - all made it a very memorable night.

The setlist was:

Battery
Master of Puppets
For Whom the Bell Tolls
Welcome Home (Sanitarium)
Ride the Lightning
Bass Solo
Whiplash
The Thing That Should Not Be
Fade to Black
Seek & Destroy
Creeping Death
The Four Horsemen
Guitar Solo
Am I Evil?
Damage, Inc.
Fight Fire with Fire

This video from earlier that month reminds me of that experience - minus the technical difficulties around Master of Puppets from this show (however the crowd singing the song with Lars drumming is great in this video when it appears power problems took out the amps and PA).

Another great club show (same venue as Metallica - same small room side) - still the loudest show I've ever been to, also at the same venue was Motorhead in support of Orgasmatron on April 9th, 1987. Another of my younger - fight your way to the front of the stage moments where I setup right in front of Phil Campbell stacks of Marshall amps and all of those right next to Lemmy's bass amps - I suspect this concert played a key role in hearing issues for quite a while afterwards. I had never seen Motorhead before and it was something to behold.

I have a ton of great concert experiences, but these three hold a special place in my brain as truly excellent evenings.

Last edited by a moderator:
Summer Sanitarium 2003 - Chicago, IL

Here's why...
http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1474912/durst-gets-booed-walks-offstage.jhtml

I've seen Dez from Devildriver beat up a Neo-Nazi, Gwar 8 times, AND PLAYED DRUMS ONSTAGE WITH ALICE IN CHAINS ;) Also, once while arguing about a concert we saw at a festival in Wisconsin, my buddy thought we saw Phil Collins, I thought we saw Eric Clapton. We bet each other $100 on it.

...We had apparently seen Peter Frampton. Remember kids, weed does affect memory.

Also, once while arguing about a concert we saw at a festival in Wisconsin, my buddy thought we saw Phil Collins, I thought we saw Eric Clapton. We bet each other $100 on it.

...We had apparently seen Peter Frampton. Remember kids, weed does affect memory.

Two of those artists listed are pretty much bald and have been for a while now. I can see possibly mistaking Collins for Frampton from afar, but Clapton? Really? :loco: :)

Summer Sanitarium 2003 was a great show - saw it at the second show of the tour up in Foxborough Mass at the old stadium, but I still count seeing them in a small venue crammed full of crazed thrash fans in 86 as high Metallica high point.

I saw them in a small but packed venue, in a really shitty part of town, more an abandoned warehouse than anything else, in between dark alleys with prostitutes and the like, the broken bathroom was splattered in blood as if someone would have been hit or shot against some urinal, and more than a few of the attendants were screaming incoherently, intoxicated maybe (Satan, my lord, Belial, etc). There was no ventilation or anything, so the place eventually got really REALLY hot, even though it was around midnight.

If that's not an atmosphere, I don't know what is :Spin:

I actually didn't like their music on the cds all that much, before that concert that is.. however, I don't think I can do justice to that show with just words.

Also been to Dark Funeral twice, they played at a military base's theater the first time, so the 'security staff' in there happened to be G.I.s with AK-47s and threatening faces up on the stage, by the sides -I think they were ready to open fire on anyone who'd go up to them or cause too much riot.. well, I wanna think so :p

I was so close to Ahriman I could touch his boots, and Caligula was about just two-three meters away. I almost gave birth to my liver, though.

I liked Mayhem when I saw them on the Grand Declaration tour. So imo BM can work live very well, especially with Hellhammer on drums.

Megadeth Feb 9 1991

Wake Up Dead
Hook in Mouth
Hangar 18
Tornado of Souls
Lucretia
The Conjuring
In My Darkest Hour
These Boots
Devil's Island
Good Mourning/Black Friday
Liar
Holy Wars... The Punishment Due
Peace Sells
Encore:
Anarchy in the U.K

Wake up Dead, The Conjuring, Good Mourning/Black Friday and Liar when Dave could still belt them out hard blew my mind. :headbang: As well as the rest of this awesome setlist. Also, In My Darkest Hour with the Jackson Flying "W" guitar. :worship:

I was one person off the barrier smack in between Dave and Marty. :cool:

Rage Against the Machine on the Evil Empire Tour, Nine Inch Nails and David Bowie. Pantera and Slayer. All amazing huge arena style concerts that changed me forever.

On a smaller level Fantomas on the Delirium Cordia tour was breathtaking and so well executed in terms of sound, performance, and being just plain unique. Those four guys are so bizzare and dynamic together the recordings cant convey how amazing some of that material is.

I also used up some scene points a while back and got to see Dillinger Escape Plan in a small local studio live room with about 20 other people, right before Penne left, probably the heaviest, most caustic shit Ive ever heard in person. Because it wasnt a concert performance in the normal sense they just kind of mildly rocked out and actually played the tunes real tight. Very nice guys too.

Honerable mentions, Hatebreed and Poison the Well back in the mid 2000's, Candiria on one of the only headlining tours they ever did, probably around 04, Marilyn Manson on the first tour for Antichrist Superstar, Zao in some random VFW hall for Blood and Fire, Living Sacrafice in a skatepark for the Reborn record. Ive seen so much cool shit it makes alot of the newer breed of metal bands seem downright lazy or at best redundant.