The best mix will be the chosen one

Hello. I know I'm little late to the party, but here's my mix from this kickass tune! Didn't really take the ABR route, but instead tried to achieve sound heard on some A7X albums mixed by Andy Wallace: Somewhat natural, yet as punchy as possible.

Only drum samples used is a snare sample provided with the actual tracks and a small ambience snare sample from my own library. Kick is fully original.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/75970009/Olihen_SpedeMix.m4a

Let's take a round of comments for the last couple of mixes posted:

Right from the start it feels that there's way too much reverb on the kick and therefore no definition in it. I think a kick drum works best as a very short click with some bottom end in it,since most of the kick playing is rapid bursts in this kind of music. The compression in the drums is quite trashy overall. If you want to achieve impact with compression, use slower attacks to let the onsets come through.

Despite the overcooking (whether that's intentional or not), you've good job keeping the vocals above the music at all times.

Rechecked the mix, cleared out some issues on the low end, and referenced to the ABR track the OP suggested! ^__^

The transition to the fast part is amazing! That was a daring move to keep the intro as breathing as possible. Rewarding would be an adequate word for this.

The bass is overall somewhat uneven. There feels to be a major bump somewhere ~110 Hz, which gives the bass a little ringing quality to it. Especially the Bb note is sticking out.

Overall I think this is a strong mix. All the little additions you did here sound really, really good! Good Job!

My version! :)

Drums are no replaced

I feel the drums' balance is little off impact-wise. The cymbals sound great in this mix, but are overpowering the relatively weak snare and kick. I suggest that you double check you polarities of the snare again against everything else (especially overheads!). In general all the meters show me that there's plenty of low end in this mix, but I'm not "feeling" any of it. For me that usually implies underlying phase issues.

I honestly think huge amounts of reverb in a fuzz guitar just doesn't work; everything becomes so mushy.

Last edited by a moderator: