the best

At playing guitar. Batio can play fast, but does that mean he's the best? Not really. It all comes down to personal preference and definition of how you define 'best' anyway

I enjoy listening to fast shredding. And if said shredder doesn't "put to emotion into it" or "just a robot shredder" I couldn't give less of a shit.

It's like the new form of rick-rolling!
I actually like Sonic Firestorm a lot. But he said he loves shredding of all kinds, and who shreds more than the mighty Dragonforce?

Are we clear on what gravity blasting is?

Quite, been playing black metal for 16 years. I think I am a little familar with it. lol

then we have a non-sequitur (I spelled that wrong, I know) here, because I said that gravity blasting precludes groove and you responded to that by saying that shredding doesn't mean a song won't have good riffs...
also, I'm impressed. been playing black metal since you were nine? that's fucking hardcore.

then we have a non-sequitur (I spelled that wrong, I know) here, because I said that gravity blasting precludes groove and you responded to that by saying that shredding doesn't mean a song won't have good riffs...
also, I'm impressed. been playing black metal since you were nine? that's fucking hardcore.

LOL I started with Painkiller at nine, I was into BM by about 13 or 14 being the I had my a friend's older brother to pass music and skill on to me. (In other words I picked up a guitar when you were still shitting on yourself.)

However beyond your exellent math skills, and spelling as well.....

I will state this once again, because there is shread does not mean there will not be good riffs anymore than Blasting means there won't be any kool groves, for example Derek Roddy on Aurora Borealis' Sky Burial.

Why don't people see Harris as a great bassist? It's really fucking obvious that he is just by hearing him play and learning his bass parts.

Steve Harris may have been great for his time, but he's been far surpassed. Ever heard of Bill Dickens? Steve DiGiorgio? Tyr?

His level of skill has become almost commonplace as far as quality bassists go in metal. He's good. He's not the best.

Lars Norberg, the bassist Ihsahn featured on his new album... blew my mind.

Steve Harris may have been great for his time, but he's been far surpassed. Ever heard of Bill Dickens? Steve DiGiorgio? Tyr?

His level of skill has become almost commonplace as far as quality bassists go in metal. He's good. He's not the best.

Lars Norberg, the bassist Ihsahn featured on his new album... blew my mind.

Absolutely, they also believes if the original Iron Maiden albums were released today that they'd be accepted. I am sorry but this is not in anyway correct. Not even if they didn't wear spandex this time around.

LOL I started with Painkiller at nine, I was into BM by about 13 or 14 being the I had my a friend's older brother to pass music and skill on to me. (In other words I picked up a guitar when you were still shitting on yourself.)

However beyond your exellent math skills, and spelling as well.....

I will state this once again, because there is shread does not mean there will not be good riffs anymore than Blasting means there won't be any kool groves, for example Derek Roddy on Aurora Borealis' Sky Burial.
ok, my math skills are fine. You said you'd been playing BM for 16 years, your profile says you're 25, and that would mean you started at 9.
As far as the "shitting myself" comment, it was both unwarranted (What's with the hostility? oh, and congratulations for having been born earlier, it couldn't have been easy, but you somehow did it), and also untrue. If you started BM 11 or 12 years ago, that'd be when I was 4 or 5. I was toilet trained by then :cool:.
Anyhow, now that we're done with that, we can get back to the discussion
Right, you can have shred over cool riffs. My point is that while you're blasting it's hard to have a cool groove. I understand what you were saying, but your response seemed like you were responding to something other than the post you quoted.

Whatever. I agree with you, pretty much.

It's not about technicality so much as writing really fun and interesting basslines, though. I guess that becomes a matter of opinion.

ok, my math skills are fine. You said you'd been playing BM for 16 years, your profile says you're 25, and that would mean you started at 9.
As far as the "shitting myself" comment, it was both unwarranted (What's with the hostility? oh, and congratulations for having been born earlier, it couldn't have been easy, but you somehow did it), and also untrue. If you started BM 11 or 12 years ago, that'd be when I was 4 or 5. I was toilet trained by then :cool:.
Anyhow, now that we're done with that, we can get back to the discussion
Right, you can have shred over cool riffs. My point is that while you're blasting it's hard to have a cool groove. I understand what you were saying, but your response seemed like you were responding to something other than the post you quoted.

Whatever. I agree with you, pretty much.

It's not about technicality so much as writing really fun and interesting basslines, though. I guess that becomes a matter of opinion.

Hostile? Nah, I was just going for a laugh, don't crap yourself! :cool:

Also didn't mean in the same riff, but more so back to back riffs, from a groove to blasting.

Sure it's important to have kool basslines, but I think technical ability figures far into "the best" I do find Steve's Basslines.....catchy, but not difficult.

Steve Harris may have been great for his time, but he's been far surpassed.

Steve DiGiorgio is definitely a virtuoso on the bass. I haven't heard the other two, but I'm not doubting their talent at all.

You make a good point about being surpassed. I suppose it's because Harris was an influence to all of them and they strove to have the skills he did at an early age, etc. Alex Webster is up there as well.

I'd make the argument though that, for that specific style of metal, he is the best

Hostile? Nah, I was just going for a laugh, don't crap yourself! :cool:

Also didn't mean in the same riff, but more so back to back riffs, from a groove to blasting.

Sure it's important to have kool basslines, but I think technical ability figures far into "the best" I do find Steve's Basslines.....catchy, but not difficult.
Ok, yeah, totally. Like pretty much all slam death ever.
As for basslines, I think writing a bassline that fits into the song is the most important thing. I've found that any bassist who does more than hammer the low e will develop a following and be hailed as a virtuoso.

I never understood people thinking Harris was special at bass, doesnt he just play parallel to the guitars and lots of pedals? I dont pay much attention to bass unless it stands out and I never heard that with Maiden. I understand he was a major driving force and song writter to Maiden but. So I would sooner pick Getty Lee or Flea or Claypool or any of the jazz players to any metal players. Someone that plays outside of the guitar parts. Hard to do in metal I suppose but thats what makes the bass stand out rather than behind.

I never understood people thinking Harris was special at bass, doesnt he just play parallel to the guitars and lots of pedals? I dont pay much attention to bass unless it stands out and I never heard that with Maiden. I understand he was a major driving force and song writter to Maiden but. So I would sooner pick Getty Lee or Flea or Claypool or any of the jazz players to any metal players. Someone that plays outside of the guitar parts. Hard to do in metal I suppose but thats what makes the bass stand out rather than behind.
Flea is cool, but Harris doesn't use pedals much and doesn't play along to the guitars at all. Also, with Maiden the bass is quite high in the mix, you might want to take your head out of your ass next time you listen. :p

Ya know, I might be an asshole but you two are like hemorrhoids. Not my favorite band but I have my time in, little recently. Maiden is all about pedals, the Kings of triplet trot pedals, the only thing I noticed that stood out bass wise above the pedals was the slapping sound he got by fretting out. A technique I grew to dislike because my bass player used it ALL the time. He was a Harris/Dickenson nut. But yes, as I said I rarely listen to anything but the guitars, most lyrics even excape me. However there have been bass parts over the years that stand out from the music and I dont hear that in Maiden. I'll put some on now if it makes you happy, then maybe my ass will stop itching.... :heh: