The Body

Dak

mentat
Aug 9, 2008
Among the Horrors
Not that this hasn't been an issue, especially in America, for while. We've all seen the problems with airlines and the obese, and this article is just another example:

275lb Woman told to use ZOO MRI

More Americans now Obese than Overweight

60+% of Americans weigh too much, and even those who don't are generally unhealthy. What is it going to take wake people up to the fact that taking care of your body is important?

Being obese (with exceptions to those with rare disorders) is selfish on multiple levels and lowers personal quality of life as well. This is a much more important issue imo than things like cellphone bans or drug bans etc, all cited for "health/wellness dangers".

I am technically obese due to my BMI levels, but I do cardio 5 times a week and don't look at all like 99% of obese people. I would consider myself healthy except for the weight I have

I am technically obese due to my BMI levels, but I do cardio 5 times a week and don't look at all like 99% of obese people. I would consider myself healthy except for the weight I have

Yes, weight isn't the only determinent. I am "overweight" for my height but the majority of it is muscle weight. Those weight guidelines are generally for the non-exercisers, which at this point encompasses the majority of Americans I would imagine.

You don't need a study to tell you America is out of shape though. Just go out in public at look at the fat rolls and bulging bellies everywhere. I've passed people in Walmart parking lots who were getting out of breath walking from their car to the store. It's pathetic.

I would rank them this way:

1. Obesity
2. Drug problems
3. Cellphones.. :lol:

Another thing is that obesity is a deeper pit than most things, where can we start? We know a lot of Americans are apathetic or depressed and when it comes down to it just don't care that much in a lot of ways, for various reasons - not all of which are that selfish. Then we have to look at education on the subject, can we accurately gauge who is receiving what information they need, and if so, do they care or not? Then there is our supply and demand eating lifestyle....make more money now or be swept under, stress out our bodies, pinch pennies and eat McDonalds, buy the food now, eat it too fast in 10 minutes, go to the grocery store and see how a lot of money can unfortunately be saved by buying junk...et al. The manufacturers, chemicals and additives are in everything.. again, the education question - is it there, and do we care? And that's only getting started. There's just such a huge mound to dig through. :erk: I don't know how to fix it.

I think one of the root problems is the mentality that what feels(tastes) good at the moment is more important than the long term ramifications, not to mention an inability for moderation in general.

I think that if genetically speaking, I was more prone to gain weight, then I would be heavier. But then, I am not sure how I would react to that, so maybe I would change my eating habits. As it is I am about 6' tall and weigh 203. I have a muscular build, but am not currently working out or really doing any regular exercise. People don't think I have extra weight by looking at me (fully dressed), but I probably need to lose about 15-20 lbs.

People don't think I have extra weight by looking at me (fully dressed), but I probably need to lose about 15-20 lbs.

I remember prior to joining the Marine Corp, I didn't think that I, or the majority of the people around me were "in bad shape" because everyone was.
Once I was in a more fit environment it kind of opened my eyes to how bad it was. I could easily lose 5lbs of fat still and be in a healthy fat range but whenever I mention that to the average "civilian", I get looked at like I have a image disorder.
Perception is usually based on the average, and is warped when it comes to fitness in the US.

I think one of the root problems is the mentality that what feels(tastes) good at the moment is more important than the long term ramifications, not to mention an inability for moderation in general.

More and more everything in this society is about instant gratification. From food to sex to entertainment to stuff.

Also I think poor family eating habits (worsened by modern busyness and the whole breakdown of the family unit in this society) can lead to poor eating habits which people carry through life.

I freely admit I love to eat, and I typically choose to eat too much. I can go through that half a bag of Doritos because every time I stuff some of them in my face, I get that salty reward! Also I have a problem with not finishing a meal. I just seem to need to finish everything I get in a meal. This is bad when you eat out. In the US they load you up with food, and if they didn't, we would all be upset.

I'd like the other extremes to be cleared also...for example it would be nice to see women look like women again and not think being size 10-12 is 'fat'... and thinking that most of their diet being iceberg lettuce is 'healthy'..

I love walking past people going while going up stairs and hearing how out of breath they are. :rofl:

I'd like the other extremes to be cleared also...for example it would be nice to see women look like women again and not think being size 10-12 is 'fat'... and thinking that most of their diet being iceberg lettuce is 'healthy'..

This is true too. 90+% of "diets" people do to lose weight are unhealthy and only result in increased weight gain later because it kills the little bit of muscle they have which leads to less caloric burn once they go off the diet.
You don't have to eat like a bird to lose weight. Too many people want the immediate fix as opposed to changing to an overall healthy lifestyle. And the whole anorexic thing is an extreme that is nearly as bad as obesity.

I eat a lot, whenever I am hungry I eat, but I try to eat healthy, as well as shifting my larger portions to the beginning of the day. It blows my fucking mind that people dieting always try to skip breakfast. lot's of Americans skip breakfast anyway, and that is bad.
That's the most self-defeating thing they could do besides chug soda and eat fudge. Skip dinner if you're gonna skip a meal.

I don't think this is a problem which can be solved, quite the opposite. In 20 years the obesity most likely will have doubled all over the world. People aren't lumberjacks any longer, physical work decreases more and more due to technology. In their free time people spend more and more time in front of screens of various kinds instead of being out and moving. I don't think food is as important as physical activity.

Yeah, society is becoming more service oriented than manufacturing oriented. It causes people to sit on their ass all day and do nothing. At least you were on your feet and moving around in manufacturing or textile work.

That too. It seems like modern life is more or less made up of being 'protected' from the outside in one way, then stepping outside to be 'protected' a different way, in something that takes you to a location where you're 'protected' in that way too, and no matter what, there's a screen of some sort. Well, at least people are reading more..maybe..

That too. It seems like modern life is more or less made up of being 'protected' from the outside in one way, then stepping outside to be 'protected' a different way, in something that takes you to a location where you're 'protected' in that way too, and no matter what, there's a screen of some sort. Well, at least people are reading more..maybe..

Reading more text speak maybe..

“So he suggested the Kansas City Zoo,” Ragan said. “I thought, I know I’m big, but I’m not as big as an elephant. And my husband got mad.”

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Not sure how much can be done about the issue, really, other than better fitness education. If people don't give a shit about their health, it's their own problem.

Let's just hope that if universal health care ever gets implemented here, the government will be smart enough to make a distinction between normal health issues and obesity/smoking/etc related issues when determining what gets covered by tax money. It's not going to help any of us if overweight people think they can just rely on the system to fix their health issues instead of taking some responsibility of their own.

iirc Australia is worse off than American in terms of obese people. lol at them.

I've never had a problem with obesity or even close to it. I have a healthy BMI (a bit over minimum required to not be thin enough to die :p) but my diet consists of anything I want. High metabolism runs in the family. I don't care much about being in shape, though I guess one day I may put forth the effort to work out a little.

I've never had a problem with obesity or even close to it. I have a healthy BMI (a bit over minimum required to not be thin enough to die :p) but my diet consists of anything I want. High metabolism runs in the family. I don't care much about being in shape, though I guess one day I may put forth the effort to work out a little.

Die