The Books/Reading Thread

1711220675265.jpeg

love the way this author totally acknowledges that Starfire is the most ridiculous character in DC comics and the whole book is just bending the fourth-wall with it

Are those Harry Dresden books worth reading?
the Anita Blake books are written in First-person, because they need to be
the first-person is used as a super-short, short-cut to world-building, and the Harry Dresden novels do the same
this is actually an really awesome thing because Jim Butcher uses first-person, as opposed to third-person, as a way of enabling each Harry Dresden novel to be a self-contained(enough) story where you can read the Harry Dresden novels in what-ever-the-fuck-order you want, (like episodes of Law-and-Order or CSI, you don't really need to watch the episodes in any specific order for each episode to make sense) even though Dresden lives in an Urban-Fantasy setting that's complex enough that making each novel a self-contained story would kinda be kinda impossible in do in third-person
Dresden being the narrator is way more snarky, way more sarcastic, and way more self-deprecating than Anita Blake and there's a whole-hell-of-a-lot more pop-culture references
this newest Dresden book is called "skin game" and doesn't even try to hide the fact that it's totally stealing it's plot from the 1971 movie with the same name, and in just the first few chapters there's a reference to Superman, he calls somebody "Alfred" in reference to Batman's butler, and when he shows up to prevent this demon woman https://villains.fandom.com/wiki/Polonius_Lartessa from killing somebody, Dresden actually says "Come with me if you want to live" and just a couple dozen pages later a reference e to "the Orkin Man"
IMO
the humor is hilarious

yes
i know i just made this post sound like a freaking commercial for this book series
but only because i'm trying to trying to explain the series enough for you to figure out for yourself the answer to your question instead of just answering your question with a "yes" or a "no"

Last edited: