The Books/Reading Thread

Recently picked up a few history books. The History of Europe (huge book-, like 2 inches thick), history of Scotland, history of the vikings, and another huge book that goes from as far back as we know through the fall of the roman empire. Now I just need to find time to read them...

I finished M. John Harrison's Light and started the sequal, Nova Swing. I love this guy's writing style; it makes me think of something along the lines of Ginsberg or Kerouac writing science fiction. Fans of Gibson, Gaiman, and Mieville would definitely enjoy Harrison; his prose is dark, brutal, and has an almost crime-noir feel.

400000000000000069387_s4.jpg

just finished reading Algernon Blackwood's Four Weird Tales. They were pretty good and were my first real introduction to Blackwood's writing. I really like it. I find him more approachable than Lovecraft, but not as pessimistic. I can see they share a lot of the same beliefs (that the world of man is a veil hiding another world which ancient cultures once knew), but I don't quite get the human-race-is-fucked feeling like I get from Lovecraft

Blackwood's writing is, unlike Lovecraft's, enlightened by genuine beliefs, I think, which is why there is somewhat of a different feel overall. Whereas Dunsany dealt chiefly in awe and whimsy and Lovecraft was more focused on horror, Blackwood's fell somewhere in between. By the way, which four tales were included in that book? I find that his work is not as of universal quality as Lovecraft (though part of that would be due to his prolificacy).

Well, that's certainly an interesting variety of tales. His "The Willows" is essential reading before passing final judgment though.

Now reading H.P. Lovecraft's The Complete Fiction.

Trouble with Lovecraft is there are too damn many editions of his work on the market. They all claim to be the "definite" or the "complete", but it turns out they're not, or they're riddled with typos, anachronisms and assorted errors.

The one you have, is it good? Could you post a pic of it, or maybe the ISBN number? Would be a great help.

Trouble with Lovecraft is there are too damn many editions of his work on the market. They all claim to be the "definite" or the "complete", but it turns out they're not, or they're riddled with typos, anachronisms and assorted errors.

The one you have, is it good? Could you post a pic of it, or maybe the ISBN number? Would be a great help.

For Lovecraft's fiction, get the Penguin editions (there are 3 volumes) edited by S.T. Joshi. These are the definitive editions, or as close to one as there is. Joshi's commentary and notes are very illuminating in addition. They are called The Call of Cthulhu and Other Weird Stories, The Thing on the Doorstep and Other Weird Stories, and The Dreams in the Witch House and Other Weird Stories. Each volume is not chronologically consistent with the previous, however; every novel is a series of selected stories that progress from his early writing to his late writing, so if you want to read them in order, you will have to piece them together yourself.

I'm personally a fan of the Barnes & Noble collection. For one, it's a bigass single hardcopy volume that looks sexy as hell. Two, it has all of his stories plus his essay on weird fiction, and the stories are in chronological order.

My only complaint is I have found several typos. Other than that it's fantastic. And it was only $20!

I'm reading At The Mountains of Madness and some others now. Fantastic stuff.

I bought Red Mars so I could finish it. Hope it turns out to be as good through the second half...

I'm personally a fan of the Barnes & Noble collection. For one, it's a bigass single hardcopy volume that looks sexy as hell. Two, it has all of his stories plus his essay on weird fiction, and the stories are in chronological order.

My only complaint is I have found several typos. Other than that it's fantastic. And it was only $20!

This is the one I was referring to and yeah, it's excellent. I've found a few typos myself, though but that's hardly a big deal as far as I'm concerned. I also own the Necronomicon compilation which is also cool but not as comprehensive. I may have to invest in the Penguin editions.

I've been meaning to look into more weird fiction. Any suggestions on where to start? I know of Algernon Blackwood, Arthur Machen, and Clark Ashton Smith but have yet to delve into their material. Any suggestions on specific compilations from those authors or other authors to check out would be welcome.

Well, to be frank, I would again advise to seek out S.T. Joshi's work with Penguin. He has edited informative and annotated anthologies of both Blackwood and Machen under the names Ancient Sorceries and Other Weird Stories and The White People and Other Weird Stories, respectively. For Smith, there are 5 comprehensive anthologies of his works that follow a chronological order, but the first two are hopelessly out of print. For a varied selection of his tales, try The Return of the Sorcerer released by Prime Books. It's pretty much also the only widely available and affordable edition of any of his works right now, in addition. There is a website, however, that contains all of his works in an orderly fashion called Eldritch Dark.