The Books/Reading Thread

Man, i really thought this would be one of the few multi-page debates on this forum worth reading. I want my time back :(

zabu of nΩd;10199706 said:
Man, i really thought this would be one of the few multi-page debates on this forum worth reading. I want my time back :(

I think both Pat and I were trying to prevent it from derailing the thread.

They are already making box sets for a series that isn't finished?

I hope Martin turns the ship around. I did not like Dance with Dragons much.

I just found this book while looking through r/atheism.

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Early-History-God-Biblical-Resource/dp/080283972X/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1331091655&sr=1-1[/ame]

If my library doesn't have it, I'm going to buy it. I've been looking for a comprehensive guide for the transition of the polytheism to monotheism amongst the people that would eventually be the origin of Abrahamic religion.

I'm always suspicious of books that claim "textual analysis". I read "The Dying God" and was quite unimpressed with the hopping around, stretching, and pulling single verses completely out of context to mash them with other verses out of context. It only works for someone who isn't already quite familiar with the text/context.

I'm looking to get a book on physics; specifically quantum and string/M-theory. Books that deal explicitly with the effects of black holes and the characteristics of event horizons are a plus. I know Stephen Hawking is considered the resident expert on this stuff, but I was hoping for a good work from another author.

I've been looking at texts like The Elegant Universe by Brian Greene, but I was hoping someone on this forum with maybe a bit more experience in the subject could offer some advice. This is not my area of study, and I would like to find something relatively accessible to a layman. Of course, I would love to get my hands on The Large Scale Structure of Space-Time (which is authored in part by Hawking, actually), but I have a feeling this might be out of my intellectual range.

So, any tips?

Writers such ad Michio Kaku and Neil DeGrasse Tyson strive to make complex science accessible to the layman. The only work I've read from either though is Visions from Kaku, and even that was 11-12 years ago, so it's far from the most recent work on the matter.

Well, I figured I'd post an update for myself.

I've made way too many purchases in literature lately, but I guess I'll get to them all eventually.

I finished Robert Charles Wilson's Spin and immediately bought the next two books in the trilogy. It was a fantastic story, and well-written. Furthermore, I think there's plenty in it to potentially study come graduate courses...

So, I'll begin the second book soon, hopefully. In addition, I've added these to my repertoire:

41v17Ve8EVL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

bicameral.jpg

I just ordered Murray Rothbard's Conceived in Liberty, I'm looking forward to learning the details of the American colonial history that were skimmed over in my history course.

ConceivedInLiberty4in1.jpg