The Books/Reading Thread

Fixed my last post to make more sense. I know what I want to do, I was just saying that I don't think I'm going to be qualified to teach any classes after I get my undergrad degree. I suppose there are other things I can do for experience though.

I'd still apply for adjunct positions. Lots of community colleges will likely be looking for cheap adjunct labor to teach entry-level composition classes and possibly even an entry-level literature class (e.g. American literature until 1860, or something like that). And I know some people who land jobs like that with only a bachelor's. Just be aware that you may have to go on food stamps to survive, or get a second job.

Lots of community colleges will likely be looking for cheap adjunct labor to teach entry-level composition classes and possibly even an entry-level literature class (e.g. American literature until 1860, or something like that). And I know some people who land jobs like that with only a bachelor's. Just be aware that you may have to go on food stamps to survive, or get a second job.

Not to be debbie downer, but since I am the person described above, I will tell you it's incredibly hard. Community Colleges are incredibly difficult to get into because, at least in California, they pay a LOT better and have better benefits than most universities. Also, most universities have applicant pools which means you're one of a few hundred fresh faced graduates looking for an adjunct teaching gig. And they will be entry level classes (Freshman Composition, Intro to Lit, etc.).

Also, from what I've seen, you need a minimum of a master's. I haven't seen any place that hires BAs to teach. I've even seen ads requesting PhDs for adjunct positions (which is a bunch of horseshit). That's why I focused on Rhetoric & Composition for my master's, thinking it'd be easier to land a job. While there are far more Composition teaching jobs out there, it's still very difficult. My advice is when you're in grad school or even as an undergrad, get any experience tutoring, TAing, or teaching a class or two like I did (and Jeremy did too). It's all about the experience on the resume.

Not to be debbie downer, but since I am the person described above, I will tell you it's incredibly hard. Community Colleges are incredibly difficult to get into because, at least in California, they pay a LOT better and have better benefits than most universities.

Even for adjuncts? I'm an adjunct now (with a Master's) and I get shit. From my experience, adjuncts have to work potentially as much as tenure-track professors/instructors, and get paid less than half what they make and get no benefits.

I agree with what Mike said about experience though. I was fortunate enough to land a teaching job after my graduate experience at UChicago, and I'm going to have to teach for Boston as part of my fellowship. Here's hoping that collective experience works wonders in my post-doc career.

However... don't worry about teaching experience as much for grad school. If you're able to get a teaching position, then by all means put it in your statement of purpose; but if not, focus on what you want to study and why, and zero in on specific professors in each department that you apply to. Schools want to know why you want to attend their program. A big part of my statement was that I wanted to teach, and BU picked up on that. But it's not imperative that you teach before doing a doctorate in English, and some programs reject those who say they want to teach because they're looking for researchers. Research is great, but I feel like it's much harder to land a job afterwards, since there are way more positions in English departments that emphasize teaching. If you want to do research, then you basically need to pray you land a job at UChicago, UMichigan, Stanford, Johns Hopkins, etc. (i.e. the toughest schools to get into for graduate work, let alone a tenure-track position). I felt like BU was a good mix of research possibility and teaching experience, which is one of the reasons I went with it.

I ordered "The Framework" from Mises.org the other day and I officially have more to read than I could possible digest within the near future.

2012-06-15_09-56-08_677.jpg

2012-06-15_09-55-31_314.jpg

I purchased Stranger in a Strange Land recently as well. I'm looking forward to picking that up too.

That's actually something I think about a lot; I tend to focus on non-fiction too much.

However, I prefer to be reading one fiction and one non-fiction work at all times. Right now, these are what's on my plate:

(Fiction)
blindsight-peter-watts.jpg

(Non-fiction)
tragedyfarce.jpg

Nice! Let me know how it is, since I haven't read that one. Also, I'd suggest you check out that Žižek book if you get the chance, although I don't expect you to agree with him. I'd be interested in your reaction, though. It's a very short book, about 150 pages.

For those who already despise Žižek, here's a great little article that will make you hate him even more:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/culture/2012/jun/10/slavoj-zizek-humanity-ok-people-boring

"For me, the idea of hell is the American type of parties. Or, when they ask me to give a talk, and they say something like, 'After the talk there will just be a small reception' – I know this is hell. This means all the frustrated idiots, who are not able to ask you a question at the end of the talk, come to you and, usually, they start: 'Professor Žižek, I know you must be tired, but …' Well, fuck you. If you know that I am tired, why are you asking me? I'm really more and more becoming Stalinist. Liberals always say about totalitarians that they like humanity, as such, but they have no empathy for concrete people, no? OK, that fits me perfectly. Humanity? Yes, it's OK – some great talks, some great arts. Concrete people? No, 99% are boring idiots."

Nice! Let me know how it is, since I haven't read that one. Also, I'd suggest you check out that Žižek book if you get the chance, although I don't expect you to agree with him. I'd be interested in your reaction, though. It's a very short book, about 150 pages.

For those who already despise Žižek, here's a great little article that will make you hate him even more:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/culture/2012/jun/10/slavoj-zizek-humanity-ok-people-boring

I don't mind reading things I disagree with, as long as it shines some new light on whatever the subject may be.

Every time I read Zizek I can not help but read it in his voice! lol and on top of it, in my head, he's touching his face and sniffling etc.

I really do enjoy reading the guy. I check his subreddit almost every week.

Every time I read Zizek I can not help but read it in his voice! lol and on top of it, in my head, he's touching his face and sniffling etc.

I do the same thing. Unlike many writers, he actually writes in the same tone that he speaks in, so it's easy to transpose his voice onto his texts.

ps if you ever get a chance watch his doc The Pervert's Guide to Cinema. It's damn good.

I've tried, but haven't been able to track it down. I only have Netflix Instant Video, so my choices are limited. Eventually I'll buy it if I can find it cheap and/or used.

yeah I'm trying to work my way through some "classics". I've always been more of a weird fiction, bizarro and horror guy, but I figure I should try and get some of the classics down (since I only took a handful of literature courses during college)