The Books/Reading Thread

Frankenstein is fantastic. I'm reading it in a Gothic seminar I'm taking this semester.

Not sure about McCarthy. I'm personally of the opinion that Blood Meridian should be mandatory reading for 20th-century American Lit courses, but lots of people would probably disagree with me. You may actually enjoy Blood Meridian somewhat; I situate it in a tradition that begins with Homer, continues through Dante, finds its manifestation in prose with the novels of Herman Melville, and most recently manifests in his novels. He's one of the most well-read and knowledgeable fiction writers still working today, and I think he'll be considered an "American Classic" before the end of the next century.

Blood Meridian is essentially a scathing rebuttal of American exceptionalism and of traditional Enlightenment thought. Nothing is left untouched in that novel. And he uses punctuation, he just doesn't use quotation marks, which isn't anything new, and occasionally omits apostrophes and, of course, writes in dialect. His sentences all end in periods though, although he has some ridiculously long sentences; like the scene where the Judge teaches everyone how to make gunpowder with their own piss:

"We hauled forth our members and at it we went and the judge on his knees kneadin the mass with his naked arms and the piss was splashin about and he was cryin out to us to piss, man, piss for your very souls for cant you see the redskins yonder, and laughin the while and workin up this great mass in a foul black dough, a devil's batter by the stink of it and him not a bloody dark pastryman himself I dont suppose and he pulls out his knife and he commences to trowel it across the southfacin rocks, spreadin it out thin with the knifeblade and watchin the sun with one eye and him smeared with blacking and reekin of piss and sulphur and grinnin and wieldin the knife with a dexterity that was wondrous like he did it every day of his life."

Behold, the syntactical prowess of Cormac McCarthy. :cool:

Frankenstein is fantastic. I'm reading it in a Gothic seminar I'm taking this semester.

Not sure about McCarthy. I'm personally of the opinion that Blood Meridian should be mandatory reading for 20th-century American Lit courses, but lots of people would probably disagree with me. You may actually enjoy Blood Meridian somewhat; I situate it in a tradition that begins with Homer, continues through Dante, finds its manifestation in prose with the novels of Herman Melville, and most recently manifests in his novels. He's one of the most well-read and knowledgeable fiction writers still working today, and I think he'll be considered an "American Classic" before the end of the next century.

Blood Meridian is essentially a scathing rebuttal of American exceptionalism and of traditional Enlightenment thought. Nothing is left untouched in that novel. And he uses punctuation, he just doesn't use quotation marks, which isn't anything new, and occasionally omits apostrophes and, of course, writes in dialect. His sentences all end in periods though, although he has some ridiculously long sentences; like the scene where the Judge teaches everyone how to make gunpowder with their own piss:

"We hauled forth our members and at it we went and the judge on his knees kneadin the mass with his naked arms and the piss was splashin about and he was cryin out to us to piss, man, piss for your very souls for cant you see the redskins yonder, and laughin the while and workin up this great mass in a foul black dough, a devil's batter by the stink of it and him not a bloody dark pastryman himself I dont suppose and he pulls out his knife and he commences to trowel it across the southfacin rocks, spreadin it out thin with the knifeblade and watchin the sun with one eye and him smeared with blacking and reekin of piss and sulphur and grinnin and wieldin the knife with a dexterity that was wondrous like he did it every day of his life."

Behold, the syntactical prowess of Cormac McCarthy. :cool:

My only question is why...

The only reason I ask is because I've recently read "Sailing to Byzantium" by Yeats and was fucking amazed. I thought I hated modern literature.

I would add Glamorama to the list for Bret Easton Ellis.

I haven't read Glamorama, I'll add it to the list!

My only question is why...

The only reason I ask is because I've recently read "Sailing to Byzantium" by Yeats and was fucking amazed. I thought I hated modern literature.

Yeats is one of my favorite poets. I'm not the biggest critic of poetry; I usually avoid it in seminars and papers because I have trouble analyzing it. That said, Yeats is one of the best out there, in my opinion; and it makes sense that you'd find him appealing. In his youth he was a Romantic; heavily influenced by the Classics and epic poetry. As he grew older, he turned to a more Modernist style and tone, growing more pessimistic and disillusioned; "Sailing to Byzantium" is a poem from later in his life. In case you didn't pick it up (although you probably did), that's where McCarthy got the title for his novel No Country for Old Men.

My favorite Yeats poem is "The Second Coming"; it's terrifying. "Leda and the Swan" is great too.

The thing with the overtly violent scenes in American Psycho is that, when "consumed" at a rapid pace, they dull the mind. They're just another form of consumerism, just like the endless lists of products and clothes Bateman et consortes use. Same goes for the chapters where he goes on and on about shallow 80's pop music (those segments are brilliant, by the way).

Not that any of this is mindbreaking, but to me, when I "got" it the first time, it was kind of an eye opener.

the music chapters are some of my favorites. They really illustrate how out of touch with reality Patrick Bateman was. The phrase, "There is an idea of a Patrick Bateman...something illusory..." is really key. He's just pretending to be Bateman and is trying really hard to be this guy, but his identity is interchangeable (hence why he's often mistaken for other people and vice versa). And so he tries to assert himself in different ways...through the (imagined) killing of people as an act of destroying and reconstructing himself.

fuck now I have to re-read the book

Definitely agree with both posts above.

When researching my paper for American Psycho, I actually toyed with the idea of trying to locate specific passages from the "music" chapters in popular music reviews from when those albums came out. You're right that he's totally out of touch; those chapters read as though they were cut and pasted right out of a music magazine.

The part of that novel that always sticks with me is when he encounters the real estate agent in Paul Owen's apartment. He describes the real estate agent's nose as "distressingly real looking"; he might even emphasize the word "real" in the original text, I can't remember. But this passage, in my opinion, expresses a moment where Bateman's umwelt comes dangerously close to being shattered. I conceive the whole novel as working within a careful conceptual and diegetic "frame-within-a-frame." There's the frame of reality that Bateman constructs, and the frame of a more objective "reality" that threatens to puncture the boundary of Bateman's world.

I conceive the whole novel as working within a careful conceptual and diegetic "frame-within-a-frame." There's the frame of reality that Bateman constructs, and the frame of a more objective "reality" that threatens to puncture the boundary of Bateman's world.

I can see that

So since I have a bit of free time this semester (at least this half of it), I'm going to hop on the bandwagon and try to power through the first three Game of Thrones books before Season 3 starts on HBO.

You wouldn't have thought I'd be a slow reader, but I am (though it can be a good quality in a classicist). Should be better recreation for my brain than marathoning Dragonball Z as I have the past couple weeks.

I thought it was time for me to complete reading the Weird Tales triumvirate, so I just downloaded a big load of Clark Ashton Smith stories in audio.

Does anyone know if you have to read C.A. Smith in any particular order in parts?

Just started reading this; Peter Watts is so fucking good it's scary:

9780765315960.jpg

It's great so far, although I haven't been able to get much farther due to work for school.

In the meantime, I'm really enjoying this gem, somehow managed to never read it before:

invisiblemancover1.jpg