The Books/Reading Thread

Guess I'll have to read the books then (not high on my priority list). I've already read and agreed with criticism of Rand's work that her vision of capitalism was looking through a glass twisted to make it more akin to Stalinism. I agree with a individualist perspective, but as CF pointed out: Why doesn't that apply across the board? She not only does it to women, but to men who are not "titans of industry", a position inconceivable outside of government or "party" monopoly grants.

Finished Wilde's The Picture of Dorian Gray; second time reading it, much more interesting this time around. :cool:

For next week:

ChildhoodsEnd.jpg

The+Monk.jpg

Go%20tell%20it%20on%20the%20mountain.jpg

Thanks for the advice guys. Crimson, I picked up the book you mentioned and will probably run through it some this weekend. I'm not entirely sold as to whether I should integrate Hegel into this, but if I catch something pertinent then I may as well throw it in.

Just received my copy of "Also Sprach Zarathustra" that I will be working with for the paper. Walter Kaufmann is the translator. One of my buddies is a big fan of Neitzsche and prefers his translations. Any thoughts on Kaufmann?

Yeah that sounds like the right approach to take.

As for Kaufmann, I like his translations. Overall, he's very detialed and careful to try and stay as close to Nietzsche's actual meanings and where his translation choice is questionable, he's usually careful to point it out. Sometimes he can be a little overbearing with his footnotes, but you can kind of take them or leave them. They do help give cultural context and elucidate a lot of Nietzsche's more obscure references. I'm not sure he's the best at translating the poetry, but my German isn't really good enough to judge.

Einherjar, let me know what you think of the Baldwin. Just read that a few months ago.

You post 3 novels/shit to read, I'm still reading the same chapter of the Silmarillion. What the fuck?

Clarke is amazing for his 2001 serious (obviously). I've only read 2001, and bits of 2010, so I'm curious to see how this novel is. I'm too busy with stupid shit like The Children of Hurin and non-stupid shit like the Divine Comedy to read any other Clarke.

Einherjar, let me know what you think of the Baldwin. Just read that a few months ago.

Will do. Finished Ellison's Invisible Man a week ago, fantastic book. I haven't read much African American literature, so this seminar has been great for that.

You post 3 novels/shit to read, I'm still reading the same chapter of the Silmarillion. What the fuck?

It helps when you have deadlines.

I actually like Kubrick's movie better than Clarke's book; not sure how many people know, but Clarke actually collaborated with Kubrick on the film and then released the novelization after the movie was released.

My favorite Clarke book is Rendezvous with Rama; it's a first contact narrative.

I hated The Kite Runner so much.

i didn't read the Kite Runner, or see the movie, but several people that i know face-to-face says A thousand Splendid Suns is a much, much better book

i already got to chapter 19 and it's interesting enough that i think i might actually finish it

Damn you Emily Bronte
i think the enduring popularity of Wurthering Heights is responsible for the existance of "soap operas"

Will do. Finished Ellison's Invisible Man a week ago, fantastic book. I haven't read much African American literature, so this seminar has been great for that.

It helps when you have deadlines.

I actually like Kubrick's movie better than Clarke's book; not sure how many people know, but Clarke actually collaborated with Kubrick on the film and then released the novelization after the movie was released.

My favorite Clarke book is Rendezvous with Rama; it's a first contact narrative.

Yeah, Clarke made the 2001 sequels to follow the plot of the movie, because even he saw that it was superior. My favorite movie of all time.

It's a good favorite. :cool: Definitely in my top five.

It's also rated "G", and yet it's one of the scariest films I've ever seen. The shot when they're walking toward the monolith on the moon, and that terrifying soundtrack is playing in the background; that shot always gives me chills.

I have a book from the Library by dean koontz, but I have not even touched it. I'm not sure why because have always wanted to read a thriller by dean koontz. And 2 other books a woman let me borrow. I'm just going to eventually make myself start reading. I have plenty of time.

It's a good favorite. :cool: Definitely in my top five.

It's also rated "G", and yet it's one of the scariest films I've ever seen. The shot when they're walking toward the monolith on the moon, and that terrifying soundtrack is playing in the background; that shot always gives me chills.

I know. That, and the scene where Dave goes through the void and the camera flashes Dave's face. It looks like he's being tortured and terrified at what he is seeing. Amazing.