The Books/Reading Thread

One of my favorite quotes:

"To be no more; sad cure; for who would loose,
Though full of pain, this intellectual being,
Those thoughts that wander through Eternity,
To perish rather, swallowd up and lost
In the wide womb of uncreated night..."

My favorite is when Satan gets to Eden and he looks over the beautiful land. Or maybe one of Satan's laments.

1238801_10201244154643305_1255644148_n.jpg

Don't jerk off too violently guys.

I'm actually not going to read any of these stories for the time being due to having to read a lot of stuff for school. But, several of these stories (like the Moorcock and Howard collections) are very short, Lovecraft-style-in-length short stories. Others are more novels. You could easily crush some of those Moorcock stories in one day, if not just one sitting really.

I go on big book binges like that if I find enough of them for super cheap. It doesn't matter if I don't read them for years, I may never find them for that cheap again.

I've had less than zero laying around for awhile and haven't made it past the 100th page, not as intriguing as American Psycho..

Read Book One last night for Paradise, fucking lost.

I'm halfway through Blood Meridian right now. The violence in the book is so disturbing because it's not highlighted but rather presented like another part of reality, like it doesn't affect the narrative more than someone cooking dinner or having a drink. Subconsciously you tend to feel that violence always has to be cathartic to people but that's probably a defense mechanism, and the book kind of snatches the rug from under your feet there.

Been working through George Saunders lately. He sure does love his dystopian theme parks. There's less of that in Tenth of December, but there are just as many stories that end just about when something interesting is going to happen. Enjoyable books, but frustrating because it often seems that he's on the verge of going somewhere and he just cops out. Reviews mention the humor pretty often, but I feel that's only a part of a handful of the stories. More often it's just depressing tales of bad decisions that spiral into disaster (except the story ends before the disaster).

I've been reading Mother Nature by Sarah Hrdy. It's really informative as to how mammals (and specifically primates) evolved socially as a result of evolution in mothers, and I'm really enjoying it.

My only problem with it is when she uses the data to back up a stance on a modern social issue. I don't even disagree with the stances she implicitly takes, but I find it a waste of time to read about them.

Do any of you guys read contemporary fiction? Not interested in classics or academic nonfiction or sci-fi/fantasy.

I try to read contemporary fiction in between my assignments for class.

I recently finished Mark Danielewski's The Fifty-Year Sword and Don DeLillo's Point Omega. Before that, I read David Mitchell's Cloud Atlas.