The Books/Reading Thread

Why do you respond in that way? Read Washington's book; he actually insinuates that there are essential differences between races, and he does so in a way that it disgustingly ingratiating to whites. He implies that slavery taught slaves a good work ethnic, even going so far as to suggest (implicitly) that slavery was necessary in formulating the ideal, hard-working black; he envisions a teleological path by which African Americans must be enslaved, then workers (specifically not intellectuals), and then possibly begin to form an "upper" class.

I suppose Walter Williams and Thomas Sowell are then also merely racist Uncle Toms while JayZ and Chris Brown and LilWayne are positive role models? Since obviously white people could never have any positive relation with blacks and neither can any black people in suits who have received respect from suit wearing whiteys. Speaking of perpetuating underclassism......

I get the mentions of Lil Wayne and Chris Brown, but Jay Z? If anything I would imagine he would be a shining example of black success.

This seems somewhat contradictory itself. But allowing for that, the "you just need to know how to look at it" is precisely what I am referring to in making the comparison.

The majority of symbols or codes are "on the surface", and are left in plain view for those who "know how to look at it".

I just had to circle back to this and cite a quote I came across today in a Fredric Jameson essay. This entirely grasps the stakes and process of literary analysis, and explains - in turn - what some see as simple projection of meaning and others see as the attempt to discern a hidden, objective meaning:

Our first task as critics, therefore, is to project a contradiction, in other words a set of binary terms, a conceptual opposition, such that the literary or figurative text before us may be grasped or reread as the "resolution" (myth) or the "neutralization" (Utopia) of the hypothetical opposition thus posited. Obviously, described in this way, the interpretive process seems to break into two separate steps or stages; and it is clearly artificial and unrealistic to suppose that the interpreter has no idea where he or she is going, no preliminary intuition of the form such a reconstructed contradiction is likely to take.

Still, it is useful to stress the process of reconstruction itself, as a corrective to the naive idea that the analyst or the historian can gaze into some "objective" realm of social or national or political ideology and there empirically discover the solution to his or her structural problem. Ideology does exist objectively, but not in the form of a text; like the unconscious, it is therefore not directly accessible to us, but only insofar as we have reconstructed it in what has today come to be called "textual" form, with which the literary text can then be placed in an active relationship of reaction, transformation, reflection, repression, whatever.

To omit the description of this stage - the reconstruction of the referential subtext, the hypothetical textualization of ideology - is to perpetuate the illusion that "sociological" analysis is something one can add on to a structural analysis of texts or not, as one's own temperament dictates.

Why do you respond in that way? Read Washington's book; he actually insinuates that there are essential differences between races, and he does so in a way that it disgustingly ingratiating to whites. He implies that slavery taught slaves a good work ethnic, even going so far as to suggest (implicitly) that slavery was necessary in formulating the ideal, hard-working black; he envisions a teleological path by which African Americans must be enslaved, then workers (specifically not intellectuals), and then possibly begin to form an "upper" class.

I'm responding in this way because it was almost a cookie cutter critique compared to the sort of attacks Sowell and Williams get. A black, educated intellectual in a position of some influence, who has pulled themselves up from the bottom to some degree, writes a book or books directed at helping those of his or her "race" replicate the feat and climb out of the perpetual underclass the dark skinned people in America are a substantial portion of. Immediately, such books are condemned as the racist peddlings of Uncle Toms for daring to suggest that A. There are problems (???) and/or B. The actionable solution is hard work on an individual basis.

In comparison, actual "Uncle Toms" such as rappers (Yes Mort, most especially JayZ) make a fortune enriching the industry by perpetuating, reinforcing, and creating new forms of ghetto consumerist underclassmen/women. The same voices that decry a black man in a suit with a message of power for his people readily applaud any rapper or other lowbrow consumerist stooge not named Chris Brown. Cause, you know, he has broken the code and hurt another one of his ilk.

If anything I would imagine he would be a shining example of black success.

Shining example of an Uncle Tom. Of course, I thought you didn't believe in races. Which leads me to my next point:

All this "Washington implicitly states x or "implies y" sounds like an interpretation through a faulty lens. We're going to ignore the whole race thing for a second because if it's racial, why mention the French vs "blacks"? Blacks are no more a homogeneous suite than "whites". It is a question of culture for particular groups which may or may not possess similar phenotypical characteristics in a given area. The French and the Germans are not very similar in culture despite both being "white" and neighbors.

The "slave" culture was not something that could be immediately shed like a piece of clothing, much less so given the overall environment. But as the Booker T.s, MLKs, Malcolm Xs, Sowells, and Williams did/do their best to chart a path forward, other forces were hard at work to prevent this rise. And they have been wildly successful. Sanger started Planned Parenthood, LBJ dramatically increased the welfare state, Reagan/Bush Sr dramatically expanded the "Drug War", and hiphop/rap were co-opted to become the ghetto consumerist propaganda machine of today.

But no, Booker T was a horrible racist and the mere suggestion that a black man or woman can do anything for themselves is horrifyingly ignorant or even worse, knowingly bigoted. :rolleyes:

____

Regarding Literary Analysis: The way I interpret that is to suggest that literary analysis is little more than approaching a text with a preconceived template or framework of interpretation and then attempting to either "make it fit" or to destroy it in the process.

Yeah I agree. Washington basically proposes that blacks are best suited to be an underclass. Perhaps it was for pragmatic rather than ideological reasons (to help his people find employment) but ultimately that is the message of his work.

I'm responding in this way because it was almost a cookie cutter critique compared to the sort of attacks Sowell and Williams get. A black, educated intellectual in a position of some influence, who has pulled themselves up from the bottom to some degree, writes a book or books directed at helping those of his or her "race" replicate the feat and climb out of the perpetual underclass the dark skinned people in America are a substantial portion of. Immediately, such books are condemned as the racist peddlings of Uncle Toms for daring to suggest that A. There are problems (???) and/or B. The actionable solution is hard work on an individual basis.

In comparison, actual "Uncle Toms" such as rappers (Yes Mort, most especially JayZ) make a fortune enriching the industry by perpetuating, reinforcing, and creating new forms of ghetto consumerist underclassmen/women. The same voices that decry a black man in a suit with a message of power for his people readily applaud any rapper or other lowbrow consumerist stooge not named Chris Brown. Cause, you know, he has broken the code and hurt another one of his ilk.

Wait... how did Jay Z enter a conversation about Booker T. Washington? That's ludicrous. One is an intellectual and social activist. The other is an entertainer. What's next, comparing Benjamin Franklin and Kid Rock?

Wait... how did Jay Z enter a conversation about Booker T. Washington? That's ludicrous. One is an intellectual and social activist. The other is an entertainer. What's next, comparing Benjamin Franklin and Kid Rock?

Making a charge of racist and Uncle Tom. You do make a good point though. Leveling these charges at Washington is akin to charging Franklin with doing harm to the "white race" and "perpetuating negative stereotypes" while Kid Rock is held up as a paragon of achievement.

I'm not dumb enough to deny that races exist, and that racism is still one of the most serious issues around today.

For some reason I thought it was you who was making the argument at one point that race is merely a social construct.

Making a charge of racist and Uncle Tom. You do make a good point though. Leveling these charges at Washington is akin to charging Franklin with doing harm to the "white race" and "perpetuating negative stereotypes" while Kid Rock is held up as a paragon of achievement.

My point is just to compare apples to apples. If you want to parallel or oppose Washington to a contemporary, choose someone in politics or academia, not a rapper.

My point is just to compare apples to apples. If you want to parallel or oppose Washington to a contemporary, choose someone in politics or academia, not a rapper.

Ridiculous charges of racism or Uncle Tom-ing create these otherwise "Apple and Orange" comparisons. He's being bashed both intellectually and ethically and subsequently as "failing his people". I'm merely redirecting this absurd criticism. Also, I did parallel him to two other men of his stature, men you obviously haven't heard of or you would have noticed. But why would you know who they are? They have done the same sort of work as Booker T.

Edit:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Sowell

Thomas Sowell (/soʊl/; born June 30, 1930) is an American economist, social theorist, political philosopher, and author. He is currently the Rose and Milton Friedman Senior Fellow on Public Policy at the Hoover Institution, Stanford University. According to Larry D. Nachman in Commentary magazine, he is considered a leading representative of the Chicago school of economics.[1]
Sowell was born in North Carolina, but grew up in Harlem, New York. He dropped out of high school, and served in the United States Marine Corps during the Korean War. He received a bachelor's degree from Harvard University in 1958 and a master's degree from Columbia University in 1959. In 1968, he earned his Doctorate in Economics from the University of Chicago.
Sowell has served on the faculties of several universities, including Cornell University and University of California, Los Angeles, and worked for think tanks such as the Urban Institute. Since 1980 he has worked at the Hoover Institution at Stanford University. He is the author of more than 30 books. A National Humanities Medal winner, he advocates laissez-faire economics and writes from a conservative and libertarian perspective.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walter_E._Williams

Walter Edward Williams (born March 31, 1936) is an American economist, commentator, and academic. He is the John M. Olin Distinguished Professor of Economics at George Mason University, as well as a syndicated columnist and author known for his libertarian views.

Williams has been a Professor of Economics at George Mason University since 1980, and was chairman of the University's Economics department from 1995 to 2001.

He has previously been on the faculty of Los Angeles City College, California State University – Los Angeles, Temple University, and Grove City College. Williams was awarded an honorary degree at Universidad Francisco Marroquin.

Williams has written ten books and hundreds of articles. His syndicated column is published weekly in approximately 140 newspapers across the United States, as well as on several web sites by Creators Syndicate.[10] He also wrote and hosted documentaries for PBS in 1985. The "Good Intentions" documentary was based on his book The State Against Blacks.[11]

Ridiculous charges of racism or Uncle Tom-ing create these otherwise "Apple and Orange" comparisons.

I don't see how they're ridiculous. Debatable? Sure. Rediclous? Not at all. His theory puts a limit on what black people could achieve and in many people's eyes that idea is fundamentally racist, regardless of whose mouth it comes from. If you think that historical context changes the picture I understand and to some degree even emphasis with that stance, but to suggest the other argument is ridiculous is well... ridiculous.

He's being bashed both intellectually and ethically and subsequently as "failing his people". I'm merely redirecting this absurd criticism.

Why are you redirecting it instead of responding to it directly? Bringing up stuff like Jay Z is just a red herring.

Also, I did parallel him to two other men of his stature, men you obviously haven't heard of or you would have noticed. But why would you know who they are? They have done the same sort of work as Booker T.

I'm far from an expert on them, but I know who they are generally. I didn't respond that part because the comparison generally seemed fine, but I don't know enough about them to provide a response with substance.

I don't see how they're ridiculous. Debatable? Sure. Rediclous? Not at all. His theory puts a limit on what black people could achieve and in many people's eyes that idea is fundamentally racist, regardless of whose mouth it comes from. If you think that historical context changes the picture I understand and to some degree even emphasis with that stance, but to suggest the other argument is ridiculous is well... ridiculous.

Is it a real limit or is it unthinkable suggestion that one cannot get to the moon without first building a spaceship, learning to fly the thing, etc?

Like I said, I haven't read that book, but I have read some of Sowell and Williams and the criticism they face is identical, and so it's not unreasonable to assume the same mistake is being made.

Why are you redirecting it instead of responding to it directly? Bringing up stuff like Jay Z is just a red herring.

Racism is just about the ultimate Red Herring in modern times. If mentioning rappers is a red herring, maybe sometimes it's necessary to fight fire with fire.

I'm far from an expert on them, but I know who they are generally. I didn't respond that part because the comparison generally seemed fine, but I don't know enough about them to provide a response with substance.

Ok. I admit surprise because many have never heard of them (and of course, many who do don't like them precisely for smashing the propagated "necessary" stereotypes).

Is it a real limit or is it unthinkable suggestion that one cannot get to the moon without first building a spaceship, learning to fly the thing, etc?

The problem is Washington proposed a one-size fits all education for blacks that basically streamlined them into low paying industrial jobs with no opportunity for upward mobility. You can argue that it was necessary at the time and perhaps it was, but there is also case to be made that these schools were designed to produce a class subservient individuals who were not given opportunities to hone their higher intellectual faculties or the knowledge to defend themselves against their disenfranchisement.

Racism is just about the ultimate Red Herring in modern times. If mentioning rappers is a red herring, maybe sometimes it's necessary to fight fire with fire.

I know what you're saying, but I don't see how racism is a red herring in this context. As I defined it above it's a perfectly valid criticism of Washington's views on education and labor. If you don't agree with it, that's fine, but I certainly think the critique is relevant and relates directly to the content and consequences of Washington's argument.

The problem is Washington proposed a one-size fits all education for blacks that basically streamlined them into low paying industrial jobs with no opportunity for upward mobility. You can argue that it was necessary at the time and perhaps it was, but there is also case to be made that these schools were designed to produce a class subservient individuals who were not given opportunities to hone their higher intellectual faculties or the knowledge to defend themselves against their disenfranchisement.

I don't know about that. This sounds very similar to whats being pushed now: "Technical degrees/certifications" to get people employed. I don't see the problem with this on the surface. Jobs need doing. Getting an education that makes one productive is the first step to future greatness. Just because one has a Bachelors in Arts in X doesn't make one necessarily any more useful to society than someone with a welding certification. Regarding the first step thing - not everyone can be management. Making that step from line worker, sales or service associate, mechanic, etc etc to management and further up requires more education and drive and proficiency. Like I was saying, you can't get Affirmative Actioned to the moon, and if you do, you'll just suffocate.

There is no magic bullet. The answer is hard work.

That's true today, it was true one hundred years ago.

I don't know about that. This sounds very similar to whats being pushed now: "Technical degrees/certifications" to get people employed. I don't see the problem with this on the surface. Jobs need doing. Getting an education that makes one productive is the first step to future greatness. Just because one has a Bachelors in Arts in X doesn't make one necessarily any more useful to society than someone with a welding certification. Regarding the first step thing - not everyone can be management. Making that step from line worker, sales or service associate, mechanic, etc etc to management and further up requires more education and drive and proficiency. Like I was saying, you can't get Affirmative Actioned to the moon, and if you do, you'll just suffocate.

There is no magic bullet. The answer is hard work.

That's true today, it was true one hundred years ago.

I think your missing the point and your mixing things up by comparing to modern society. This isn't a critique of industrial labor or blue collar jobs in themselves. It's a critique of limiting opportunities for people from one race to one specific type of job and moreover, only to the lowest strata within those fields. The education system proposed by Washington (and many others) offered blacks one path, a path to an industrial job in which they had no hope of true upward mobility. In the vast majority of the situations the bosses were white and the owners were white and no mater how hard a black person worked, they were never going to gain those positions. In my eyes that that's a fundamentally racist system because opportunities are not equal and the system reproduces power inequalities.

What the fuck is going through your head, Dak?

All this "Washington implicitly states x or "implies y" sounds like an interpretation through a faulty lens. We're going to ignore the whole race thing for a second because if it's racial, why mention the French vs "blacks"? Blacks are no more a homogeneous suite than "whites". It is a question of culture for particular groups which may or may not possess similar phenotypical characteristics in a given area. The French and the Germans are not very similar in culture despite both being "white" and neighbors.

The "slave" culture was not something that could be immediately shed like a piece of clothing, much less so given the overall environment. But as the Booker T.s, MLKs, Malcolm Xs, Sowells, and Williams did/do their best to chart a path forward, other forces were hard at work to prevent this rise. And they have been wildly successful. Sanger started Planned Parenthood, LBJ dramatically increased the welfare state, Reagan/Bush Sr dramatically expanded the "Drug War", and hiphop/rap were co-opted to become the ghetto consumerist propaganda machine of today.

But no, Booker T was a horrible racist and the mere suggestion that a black man or woman can do anything for themselves is horrifyingly ignorant or even worse, knowingly bigoted. :rolleyes:

____

Regarding Literary Analysis: The way I interpret that is to suggest that literary analysis is little more than approaching a text with a preconceived template or framework of interpretation and then attempting to either "make it fit" or to destroy it in the process.

First of all, go back and read my original post. I didn't come out saying that Booker T. was a flagrant racist. I said that despite his best efforts, he comes out propagating the language and hierarchy of hegemonic racism. Someone doesn't have to be a racist to be racist.

Second, I would never say that modern rap culture doesn't perpetuate racial stereotypes; you introduced that binary. And I agree with it! Instead, try to look at how actual African American critics like Ken Warren, or Gene Jarrett, or Cynthia Nixon have worked to better understand pervasive racism. People who actually make room for Booker T. Washington as a writer, but who still acknowledge that racial elements cling to the branches like Spanish moss. People can actively try to move past institutions such as slavery while still perpetuating stereotypes. You're not thinking very critically about this at all, and it's one of your shortcomings, in my opinion.

You attribute all these presumptuous claims to what I've said, calling it a "faculty lens," and it's utter bullshit. Step back for a second and use your brain.

Finally, I knew you would critique Jameson's post in that way. It just goes to show how utterly simplistically you understand literary studies, and perhaps you don't desire to think beyond that point. I can very well say that psychology is nothing more than approaching a text (i.e. person) with a preconceived notion of how a human being is supposed to think and behave; but I don't think it's that simple. You can at least try and redirect your misguided hostility against something other than literary studies.

Anyone know anything I can read on the psychology behind philosophy? I found speculating the psychological processes of Ayn Rand pretty fun while reading Atlas Shrugged and Anthem. I was wondering if there was a psychologist who went in-depth on this kind of thing.

I think your missing the point and your mixing things up by comparing to modern society. This isn't a critique of industrial labor or blue collar jobs in themselves. It's a critique of limiting opportunities for people from one race to one specific type of job and moreover, only to the lowest strata within those fields. The education system proposed by Washington (and many others) offered blacks one path, a path to an industrial job in which they had no hope of true upward mobility. In the vast majority of the situations the bosses were white and the owners were white and no mater how hard a black person worked, they were never going to gain those positions. In my eyes that that's a fundamentally racist system because opportunities are not equal and the system reproduces power inequalities.

Limiting or creating? This was what I said initially. This is very similar to the critique of Williams (and Sowells) findings that minimum wage laws and welfare act negatively against the economic interests and welfare of minorities. Rather than increasing higher level opportunity, the bar for entry is raised in actuality.

I don't buy the "white boss will never let a black person do X", regardless of era. I've seen the opposite too many times, even from overtly racist people (overtly as in, white people who will call black person a my pals to their face, complain about lazy my pals this and worthless my pals that, etc.). Regardless of racial prejudice, when X black man is a superior technician/driver/worker/etc, guess who gets the job. Very rarely do people "cut off their nose to spite their face".

You have to start somewhere, and you can't start at the top.

What the fuck is going through your head, Dak?

First of all, go back and read my original post. I didn't come out saying that Booker T. was a flagrant racist. I said that despite his best efforts, he comes out propagating the language and hierarchy of hegemonic racism. Someone doesn't have to be a racist to be racist.

I know what you are trying to say but I find this formulation problematic. There's overt and covert. Most of the charges I find of "knowingly/unknowingly propagating X" are in issue in interpretation - like the aforementioned work on minimum wages and welfare. In this case, a very questionable standard for application of the "Racist" labels exists.

Second, I would never say that modern rap culture doesn't perpetuate racial stereotypes; you introduced that binary. And I agree with it! Instead, try to look at how actual African American critics like Ken Warren, or Gene Jarrett, or Cynthia Nixon have worked to better understand pervasive racism. People who actually make room for Booker T. Washington as a writer, but who still acknowledge that racial elements cling to the branches like Spanish moss. People can actively try to move past institutions such as slavery while still perpetuating stereotypes. You're not thinking very critically about this at all, and it's one of your shortcomings, in my opinion.

I didn't bring up hiphop and rap only for perpetuating racial stereotypes - in fact that wasn't why I brought them up. It was for essentially crafting a new underculture of ghetto consumerism to resubmerge a rising minority working middle class into fruitless or counterproductive "endeavors". If all rap did was perpetuate a stereotype it would be a massive improvement.

You attribute all these presumptuous claims to what I've said, calling it a "faculty lens," and it's utter bullshit. Step back for a second and use your brain.

I probably said "faulty" lens at some point, but I like "Faculty Lens" :D.

Finally, I knew you would critique Jameson's post in that way. It just goes to show how utterly simplistically you understand literary studies, and perhaps you don't desire to think beyond that point. I can very well say that psychology is nothing more than approaching a text (i.e. person) with a preconceived notion of how a human being is supposed to think and behave; but I don't think it's that simple. You can at least try and redirect your misguided hostility against something other than literary studies.

To some degree psychology does necessarily act on and take a normative expectation of human behavior. But that's not the entire scope of the field. So I could say "yes but it's more than that". On the other hand, it appears you are suggesting that Jameson said something quite other than my interpretation, when I was indeed wondering why you would post something that appeared to fall right in line with what I had already speculated based on other explanations of the current model, or theory, of applied literary analysis. So it's not a "yes but" but a "Completely wrong" response.

I don't have any desire to become a literary analyst as a profession, so in that sense I "don't want to think deeper about it". However, I don't have any hostility towards a profession that is, or at least should be, heavily invested in the preservation of the written word.

I do have a thusfar perpetual question mark over how literary analysis as it stands is something other than what it continues to appear to defend itself as: A deconstruction of texts for the purpose of a completely unrelated reconstruction....to what end? A teleological process of reconfigurement for it's own sake? I doubt it - and so inquiring minds want to know.

It is not necessarily a lack of critical thought that leads to a different conclusion, and "face value" or a "superficial critique" is often quite different depending on perspective.

Anyone know anything I can read on the psychology behind philosophy? I found speculating the psychological processes of Ayn Rand pretty fun while reading Atlas Shrugged and Anthem. I was wondering if there was a psychologist who went in-depth on this kind of thing.

This would be interesting; not necessarily applied to Ayn Rand but in general. I don't buy Freud's idea of literal "penis envy", but Ayn Rand existed as a strong case for it.

I don't buy the "white boss will never let a black person do X", regardless of era. I've seen the opposite too many times, even from overtly racist people (overtly as in, white people who will call black person a my pals to their face, complain about lazy my pals this and worthless my pals that, etc.). Regardless of racial prejudice, when X black man is a superior technician/driver/worker/etc, guess who gets the job. Very rarely do people "cut off their nose to spite their face".

You have to start somewhere, and you can't start at the top.

No one, especially me, is saying that a white boss will never let a black person do X. I'm saying that, as long as it persists, we still have to deal with racism. And consistently dealing with racism, or acknowledging it, is not a process of perpetuation. That's all.

I know what you are trying to say but I find this formulation problematic. There's overt and covert. Most of the charges I find of "knowingly/unknowingly propagating X" are in issue in interpretation - like the aforementioned work on minimum wages and welfare. In this case, a very questionable standard for application of the "Racist" labels exists.

It's not questionable. Read the Washington book. He blatantly states that the French are better some things, blacks are better at others, whites are good at managing, Native Americans would never allow themselves to be enslaved, etc. etc. There is no room for doubt, Dak. Read the book.

He insinuates that without slavery, African Americans would never have been able to better themselves in the way they are currently able to. In his teleological vision of black ascendance, he sees slavery as a necessary institution. Maybe he would say those aren't his personal beliefs; but that's not what his text says.

I didn't bring up hiphop and rap only for perpetuating racial stereotypes - in fact that wasn't why I brought them up. It was for essentially crafting a new underculture of ghetto consumerism to resubmerge a rising minority working middle class into fruitless or counterproductive "endeavors". If all rap did was perpetuate a stereotype it would be a massive improvement.

Stereotypes participate in the development of an underclass.

I probably said "faulty" lens at some point, but I like "Faculty Lens" :D.

D'oh.

To some degree psychology does necessarily act on and take a normative expectation of human behavior. But that's not the entire scope of the field. So I could say "yes but it's more than that". On the other hand, it appears you are suggesting that Jameson said something quite other than my interpretation, when I was indeed wondering why you would post something that appeared to fall right in line with what I had already speculated based on other explanations of the current model, or theory, of applied literary analysis. So it's not a "yes but" but a "Completely wrong" response.

Because Jameson is speaking directly to your speculation and explaining not only why, but how it's a productive form of investigation. Yes, we might project or posit a certain cultural binary into a given literary text; but that is in order to see how that text will "read" the chosen binary, how it will distribute its terms, parse its meanings, and develop new terms and counter-terms. He mentions the unconscious in that quote because it's akin to "reading" the unconscious. You can't do it; it isn't a text. But it does participate in language and culture, and if you begin feeding terms into it (like a computer...) it will begin churning out responses, and we can study and document those responses. Granted, they are responses as discerned by a critic, but that's why there are thousands of us...

A text is NOT a depository of previously intended meanings and ideas. A text is a filter through which culture can appear. As Jameson specifically says, it's not as though a critic will just pick a set of binary terms out of thin air; they will somehow correspond to the critic's experience of reading. But as a trained reader, someone who engages with multiple texts, this choice will be a learned and responsible one. It is then the critic's job to see how the text responds to and filters that binary. And other critics might disagree! But that disagreement leads to the field of literary analysis and investigation which, as a whole, provides a distinctive and useful "image" of culture that's unavailable from politics, economics, or psychology. This is why we advocate a multiplicity of fields, and not just the Golden Mean of Economics plus Psychology divided by two.