The Books/Reading Thread

Can't believe it, but I found this bad boy in the library. Only read the preface and first chapter so far, and some of the second; it is awesome. Those of you who enjoy horror fiction and Lovecraft's work, this is the epitome of horror philosophy:

345785.jpg

^ That looks really interesting! Don't think i've ever read any horror philosophy.

Edit: well except Lovecraft.

Currently reading Babel-17 by Samuel R. Delaney. It's great so far, about 100 pages in.

Just finished The Hero with a Thousand Faces by Joseph Campbell. Pretty interesting, but nothing I didn't get from tripping and meditating on nonduality.

I also finished Gödel, Escher, Bach: An Eternal Golden Braid by Douglas R. Hofstadter. Well, I think I finished it. The book seems to be hinting that the rest of the book is pointless material put there for those that do not understand the subject of the book. I may read some of it, but I have more stuff on my list.

About 2/3 of the way through A Feast for Crows. Very slow and the new characters don't really stand out much. Whatever, I heard this was the case, and I enjoy Martin's writing enough to continue reading anyway.

On another note, I ordered a bunch of weird fiction compilations including the likes of Edgar Allan Poe, Lord Dunsany, Algernon Blackwood, Arthur Marchen, Robert W. Chambers, and Clark Ashton Smith. Anxious to crack into these once they arrive.

:cool: Very cool. I've been teaching weird fiction in my classes. I always include at least one week of Poe, and then usually do an Ambrose Bierce story, and then a week of Lovecraft.

I still haven't read Chambers, anxious to get to him eventually.

Getting in the habit of reading Lovecraft's short stories before going to (i.e. beyond the wall of) sleep. They're the perfect length for that.

I'm currently working on T E D Klein's The Ceremonies right now. Obscure weird fiction author from the 80s. Surprisingly I found The Ceremonies and Dark Gods, a collection of four stories, on ebay

Getting in the habit of reading Lovecraft's short stories before going to (i.e. beyond the wall of) sleep. They're the perfect length for that.

Not the case with The Dream Quest of Unknown Kadath (which I'm reading now). It's around 80 pages long.

Finished Gibson's Neuromancer. Great book, and my edition includes a fabulous afterward that I'll probably ask my students to read when I teach the novel this fall.

Not sure what I'm onto next, but I have a couple books waiting for me. I think I'm going to dive into David Mitchell's Ghostwritten, but I also have a new book by Tom McCarthy and a few from the library...

c.jpg

200px-The_Post_Card.jpg

And a few works of literary theory that I'm interested in:

9780300106800.jpg

51ZkPtoeRUL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Finished Gibson's Neuromancer. Great book, and my edition includes a fabulous afterward that I'll probably ask my students to read when I teach the novel this fall.

I always think of that book when I listen to Beherit's H418ov21.C and Electric Doom Synthesis. I don't even remember the plot but I think the atmosphere was more important than anything to Gibson when he wrote it.

Yes... elaborate...

I always think of that book when I listen to Beherit's H418ov21.C and Electric Doom Synthesis. I don't even remember the plot but I think the atmosphere was more important than anything to Gibson when he wrote it.

I think so too. Much of what's written on Neuromancer insists that Gibson was targeting the atmosphere and attitude of the 1980s, rather than a material vision of the future. He was trying to expose something of the underlying paranoia and addict culture.

Does it have an argument? If you're concerned about boring people, don't be; Mike and I are in fact probably the two people here most likely to find what you have to say interesting.

I'm interested, too, for I am assuming he'll be discussing the influences of prior epics upon the construction of these characters.

I'm sort of adapting it from a research paper I wrote last semester and turning it into a thesis. I can send you guys a copy of that paper sometime if you guys desire. I'll have to edit it and add a few new things before I send them though.

Basically, I interrogate Spenser's conception of heroism found in Book I and discuss how it is both similar to his predecessors and totally his own creation. Specifically, I am focusing on Redcrosse Knight as the hero. I've already drawn parallels between RDC and Homer, and after reading Vergil I DEFINITELY see a big influence there, but there is still something different about Spenser's heroics. I talk a lot about humility and swallowing pride (Orgoglio) in favor of teamwork. Shit like that.