The Books/Reading Thread

Just finished Wuthering Heights. In the beginning I was really bored and thought it was one of those overhyped classics, but I ended up really enjoying the book. Anyone else have an opinion?

I also recently finsihed Joe's Abercombie's The Blade Itself from The First Law Trilogy. Awesome book. Great characters, great action.

gZwSV.gif

finished reading Childhood's End by Arthur C. Clarke and goddamn was that good. It's probably my favorite novel I've read of his (the other two being 2001 and Rendezvous with Rama). His characters are still really weak and not fully fleshed out, but the language is much more poetic and the ideas are vastly more interesting. It still revolves around Clarke's central idea of how humans interact with the other, but this one is different. Definitely recommended for scifi folks

I'm throwing this out there because I think there might be some people here who would find it interesting.

I definitely think there could be some rewarding stuff in it, but I'll admit that I won't spend money on it.

51NpxFtY5NL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

So for those of you interested in weird fiction and True Detective, Penguin Classics is re-printing Thomas Ligotti's first two collections of short stories in one book: [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Songs-Dreamer-Grimscribe-Thomas-Ligotti/dp/0143107763/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1427861150&sr=8-4&keywords=thomas+ligotti"]Songs of a Dead Dreamer and Grimscribe[/ame]. It's available for pre-order right now through Amazon for only $12, which is huge considering what I've paid for previous editions of both. What's especially significant about this is Ligotti is only one of SEVEN living authors out of the over 600 authors printed/published by Penguin Classics (the others being Paul Auster, William Gass, S.E. Hinton, Ngugi wa Thiongo, Thomas Pynchon, and WIlliam Trevor). Plus the fact that he's considered a "genre" author makes it an even bigger deal. I highly recommend you guys jump on this

I may have to pre-order this. I have yet to watch True Detective, but I've heard nothing but good things. And I love supernatural horror so...

Just a disclaimer, True Detective doesn't technically fall under the rubric of supernatural horror; but it's consciously concerned with the question of the supernatural, so in that sense it's definitely worth your time.

What's a good place to start for Lovecraft?

Others might have varying opinions, but I started with At the Mountains of Madness and loved it. If you'd prefer to start somewhere shorter to get a taste, I'd check out this collection:

160149.jpg

I usually recommend the following as starting places for Lovecraft: "The Colour Out of Space," "The Music of Erich Zann," "The Dunwich Horror," "The Doom That Came to Sarnath," "The Statement of Randolph Carter," and "Pickman's Model."

The first two stories I read was The Outsider and Dagon and like Zeph said, I was hooked. Necronomicon: The Best Weird Tales of H.P. Lovecraft is definitely worth owning

I'm slowly getting into this and liking it

bgcuaw.jpg