The Books/Reading Thread

Do you honestly think that could potentially be a worthwhile read for anything but a laugh?

Yes.

EDIT:
Or are you fooled by the fact that he's an MD? He's a quack, just like any political writer on one end of the political spectrum writing condemnatory diatribes against the opposite end.

Most of us are not simple robots who just assimilate and believe everything we read. I agree with what you're saying about extreme views, but that doesn't mean there is no insight to be found in the pages. Of course, you're liberal, and your reaction to anything against liberalism will automatically be negative. But I think we could all benefit from reading things from both sides of an issue. If truth is our goal, then reading both viewpoints will either cement what we think we know, or allow us to be more balanced in our views. Kinda like that article I posted about "Why do people vote Republican". Did you read that? Good stuff.

so I just read the gunslinger and the drawing of the three, and im reading the wastelands now (dark tower series) and it's full of epic win. I heard from someone that the later books aren't as good, is that true?

Both true and not true. The second to last book is nothing special, the last book is epic. five and six are okay. And the fourth book is fucking sick, even though most of it is just a flashback.

I love the whole series, although the first book sucks.

So, I'm gonna read some book over christmas to review later for english class. I'm considering ordering At Swim-Two-Birds, because I want to read more of Brian O'Nolan/Flann O'Brien's books.

While I'm at it I might just order Gardens of the Moon.

I obviously have more in common with traditional modern liberal ideology, but I do not identify with the label at all. I don't identify myself with any tags.

Just started Gardens of the Moon this past week or so--decent so far. But obviously if this series is as good as people say I will have to get more than 200 pages into it.

I've also been reading An Anarchist FAQ Volume One, good stuff, though it could have used some more editing as grammar errors are a bit too frequent in certain parts.

I evidently became pretty enthralled in The Children of Húrin, as I finished it in a day. I would definitely recommend this novel to any Tolkien fan, especially those who have delved into his lesser read texts, but also for the more casual fan as well, because it provides insights into the pre-history of The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings and isn't presented as a daunting task like The Silmarillion.