The Books/Reading Thread

Meant to indicate here that I started reading this. He was a member of the 506th PIR (Band of Brothers):

42798.jpg

Reactions: Dak
Seems interesting. Let me know what you think.

Well, I'm 1/4 of the way in, and it's pretty obvious the author is a (((Marxist))). There's some irony in plainly describing a very worthless, miserable, sickly sort of people with the freedom to do otherwise as somehow being total victims. The (((author))) suffers from a very typical lack of insight (where convenient) even when the facts seem to be mostly in order. I'm actually enjoying the book on a factual presentation level, but the author's implications and likely conclusions I certainly don't share. She's a fine writer, and unless I start tracking her notes to dead ends, seems to be a fine enough investigative scholar. But she's oblivious to her biases to the anti-factual theory.

Edit: I should say she paints a pretty unflattering, and probably legitimately so, picture of a variety of governors for early colonies. That doesn't somehow make the human "refuse" which inhabit the areas near where I hail from as victims. They are still living a sickly, malproductive dream.

Last edited:
Finished White Trash. Decent historical coverage, but some suspect assertions at various points make me leary of the overall veracity. Still, I'd recommend it as an exercise.

Now reading:
41M268F988L.jpg

I've been a lazyboi since taking the language immersion break from graduate studies and have barely browsed literature related to my field since arriving last summer. I need to get back into shape and read the books of all of my potential advisers for when I'm applying to new PhD programs in the fall. In proper form, I'm putting that off for something else that caught my eye, but which is also in any case right up my alley (if a bit too focused on literature):

9780520201095.jpg

Read Hillbilly Elegy and The Death of Expertise recently. Both were very refreshing and much needed reads. Hillbilly Elegy was, admittedly, a bit slow for the first half of the book, and that might be because half of my family is from the south, so it wasn't super unfamiliar to me. That being said, I did consider possibly assigning a few chapters as examples of solid narratives. Once the author joins the Marines and goes to law school, the book became more interesting to me.

The Death of Expertise was interesting. I found out about it because the author was on Sam Harris's podcast about a year ago. One thing I like about the book is that it looks at the issue of the distrust of experts from multiple angles (college, media, other experts...). However, this book, along with many others like it, is largely preaching to the choir (myself). When Nichols rails about why people are more willing to trust Gwyneth Paltrow versus a doctor, I nod my head and say, "Preach!", but the people who would benefit most from the message are least likely to read it. Maybe that's not a huge issue? Maybe he's preaching to the choir so the choir can sing in a different key to better reach the masses' ears? I didn't dislike the book, I highly enjoyed it, but I questioned its effectiveness

Finished Eumeswil. Kind of an odd book, definitely an exercise in egoistic expression, but not without a few good snippets for thought. Probably could have been half as long.

Now:

51%2B6srP9pGL._SX328_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Just found out that a line from my review appeared in the paperback edition of William Christie's A Single Spy as part of the praise for the book section.

Reactions: Einherjar86
68631.jpg

Rick Atkinson is a very good author. Lots of detail and everything but he can go into too much detail sometimes. I stopped reading one of his 'Liberation Trilogy' books because of how dense it was and I don't have the focus for such a long book right now.

51E2sOQgNqL.jpg

Dude was in Beghazi when all that went down. A true patriot.

Much ado about impending graduate applications and potential supervisors.

I was quite happy with this work. I was afraid it would be a little to biographical for my tastes, but it turned out to be comprehensive, very readable, and entertaining. Goltz also rejects the narrative that Hindenburg was somehow passive in his undermining of the Republic, and argues the opposite quite convincingly.
6311171.jpg

Just started really digging into this yesterday. I flipped through it a bit when I was working on a historiographical paper on the genocide of the Herero, but didn't have the time to really take it bite by bite and digest it. It's a bit dense, overall satisfying thus far. Zimmerman published a book more recently on the strange partnership between Tuskegee and Imperial Germany in Togo to recreate the colony in the image of post-reconstruction South with a Booker T. Washington flair, which I hope to get to after hitting some publications of other potential advisers.
51A6M9jrNML._SX331_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Reactions: Einherjar86