The Children Of Bodom Gear Thread

How does the J-BC50 sound just by itself with no active controls or switches. To say if you were to put in a single pickup guitar with no switches and fancy snig snags. How would the J-BC50 sound in a regular distorted amp, i.e. Marshall, Peavey 6505, etc. Or is those active controls and GP-1000 that give it even more sharp tone, or is the J-BC50 pretty good at getting a sharp trebly tone by itself compared to other pick ups.

I use a J-50BC in both my Jackson RR & BC Rich Warlock and I don't use the gainboost on the Jackson so you can listen to any of my most recent clips and hear for yourself.

I think that only applies to the JE-1000 because it's also a mild mid boost/EQ. The PA-2 is ONLY there for boosting gain level.

HEY GUYS!!!!

I just want to say thanks for making this thread a success. The idea to start a thread like this was just something that came about in a matter of seconds and the Webmaster seemed to think it was a smart idea and it certainly was!! :D

We've got a long way to go until we catch up with the tab thread though hehehehe

you save my life :lol:

How does the J-BC50 sound just by itself with no active controls or switches. To say if you were to put in a single pickup guitar with no switches and fancy snig snags. How would the J-BC50 sound in a regular distorted amp, i.e. Marshall, Peavey 6505, etc. Or is those active controls and GP-1000 that give it even more sharp tone, or is the J-BC50 pretty good at getting a sharp trebly tone by itself compared to other pick ups.

Sounds good, but doesn't have much gain and doesn't sound good when palm-muted. It is trebly sounding.

But the signal goes guitar input, emg, pickup... when your battery is empty you can't play. Ah... don't know.

correct

when battery is empty the Circuit will be broken and you cant play

replace the battery Circuit will be restored back and you got your signal back

But that's the point of the SWITCH, you turn it ON or OFF. The J-50BC is not really dostorted when it's off, listen to my cover of Venomous Vixens and you'll hear that it's dry.

But that's the point of the SWITCH, you turn it ON or OFF.

Huh? You can't do shit if the battery is dead. Circuit is broken no matter if it's on ON or OFF position.

JE1000 also boost only gain, doesn't change any EQ. Yes, you can set the mini-switches, but they are active even with the switch on OFF position. So when you turn on the switch, only the gain is boosted.

according to what Roope said in the offical website

" GP 1000 is also a 80`s product and it`s a one sound, angry sounding little tube pre-amp. I`ts horrible as that, but if you add active electrics and gainboost from your guitar, the result is just great! Needs a little EQ though! "

so gainboost and active electrics are different thing and different part right?
or maybe Roope means the same unit... I have no idea it confused me...

and my GP-1000 is still at my relative there in the USA , they will take it back to me in Aug.... i can't wait for this fucking long time... haha
whatever , so i guess the pickup and gainboost , passive or active signal is really important , if the metal guitar connect into the GP1000 ,or the sound would be like what Roope said " I`ts horrible as that "
just gusss , i haven't get my GP1000...

Huh? You can't do shit if the battery is dead. Circuit is broken no matter if it's on ON or OFF position.

JE1000 also boost only gain, doesn't change any EQ. Yes, you can set the mini-switches, but they are active even with the switch on OFF position. So when you turn on the switch, only the gain is boosted.
thats what I'm trying to say. thx Nazgul:)

Is your cover of Venomous Vixens on youtube Mitch because I did not see it on there. But also from just your playing and putting the picking (J-BC50) in different guitars and different amps, and I know you have two of the most high trebly sharp pre-amps that I know of, which are both great IMO, but I don't own either, so I'm asking you now, would you say you still get that kind of try, but really trebly and crunchy, but yet also brutal, tone (Pretty much exactly like the STONE tone, through out their records) a lot from that pick up? I know it's a combination of your GP1000 and J-BC50 that definitely nails it, but I'm just asking if the pick up it self is similar to those tones and feel and playability? I do have an amp with a lot of distortion so I would not know if I would need a JE-1000 (gain booster, if that's what it is now) unless it adds some more different EQ to the over all tone. Haha, know this is a ridiculous complicated questions, but look at the rest of this thread! :lol:

EDIT: Also now another question... according to this picture...

stone_saunaopen2008_03.jpg

I've always wondered since Roope has two guitars with this pickup configuartion but still has the litte switch, I would imagine that switch is to change between pickups rather than act as a JE-1000 switch? This just gets me wondering if he has one turned on ALL the time inside the cavity like some people were arguing over above about Alexi's guitars and switches and not being visible blah blah. Just gets me wondering if Roope uses straight distortion from his amps and maybe pedals, and his guitar has just those passive Jackson pickups.

Because it's wired in series. If you removed the battery clip completely and set it up as if it was never there, your tone would sound the same as if you did have the battery installed and had the switch off.

Is your cover of Venomous Vixens on youtube Mitch because I did not see it on there. But also from just your playing and putting the picking (J-BC50) in different guitars and different amps, and I know you have two of the most high trebly sharp pre-amps that I know of, which are both great IMO, but I don't own either, so I'm asking you now, would you say you still get that kind of try, but really trebly and crunchy, but yet also brutal, tone (Pretty much exactly like the STONE tone, through out their records) a lot from that pick up? I know it's a combination of your GP1000 and J-BC50 that definitely nails it, but I'm just asking if the pick up it self is similar to those tones and feel and playability? I do have an amp with a lot of distortion so I would not know if I would need a JE-1000 (gain booster, if that's what it is now) unless it adds some more different EQ to the over all tone. Haha, know this is a ridiculous complicated questions, but look at the rest of this thread! :lol:

My Venomous Vixens cover is only on my Soundclick account because it's audio. I could made a "music video" for it though I suppose.

And yes, I can get a very similar Stone tone from my guitar/GP-1000/J-50BC, even with my terrible practise amp that I have to put it all through. :(

I would record a clip of some Stone riffs but the digital camera isn't the best at capturing the bass. My "GP-1000 sound test 2" vid sounds really thin but it sounds exactly like Sinergy in person. (near enough)

And to answer your second question, imo, I'd say that the single coil is always on and both pickups are selected so they're both picking up the sound and the switch IS the JE1000. But that's just a guess.

Nah, the GP1000 is a very thin/trebly amplifier.
The J-50BC has a ceramic magnet, which means it's more sharper/treblier then an alnico one.

You can always add a JE1000 to your guitar, cause it wil always matters.
People do this a lot with high-gain amplifiers like Peavey 5150/Dual Rectifiers /etc. Tubescreamers which produce only a small overdrive are so much used to thicken up the sound.

The JE1000 has a high and a low pass filter. With the dipswitches you can adjust the lowpasfilter. The high pass filter is a standard value.

I've always wondered since Roope has two guitars with this pickup configuartion but still has the litte switch, I would imagine that switch is to change between pickups rather than act as a JE-1000 switch? This just gets me wondering if he has one turned on ALL the time inside the cavity like some people were arguing over above about Alexi's guitars and switches and not being visible blah blah. Just gets me wondering if Roope uses straight distortion from his amps and maybe pedals, and his guitar has just those passive Jackson pickups.
It's a switch to change pickups.

Roope is known to use some pedals, like a Boss SD-1 in front of his JCM2000.

I don't know about both pick ups being on at the same time, it would give him a very different tone, and I know of hearing stone recordings where you can dinstinctly hear a neck pickup sound from Roope. So my guess is he either uses the switch to change pick ups (most likely) and maybe has another JE-1000 built inside on at all times, but I wouldn't know.

Anyway, I'm watching a J-BC50 on ebay right now and its over soon and I can maybe grab it for $35.00 I'm curious of replacing it with my Dimarzio X2N to hear sound quality differences. Is this pick up and JUST the pick up in say... a RR24, a vital piece to getting a nice Stone... tone... :rolleyes: Besides have the Lee Jackson pre amp etc.

As far as I know, Stone used GP-1000 units to record the first 3 albums at least and nothing else apart from their RR's & JE-1000's. And I have one myself so I can say it's very close.

Add a badass poweramp and a bunch of 4x12 speaker cabs and it'd be perfect.

Personally, I like the rhythm tone it gives me. Others may complain about passive and low gain or whatever but the sound that I hear when I play is nice to my ears.

Here's something I recorded to demonstrate the sound that I hear when I plug in my Jackson RR (EMG PA-2 gainboost off, USA J-50BC) into my Korg PX4, gain low, mid high, presence high, treble full, bass mid.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/6555jv

The first thing is just the tone as it is.
The second is the EXACT same thing over the VV BT.
The third thing is the EXACT same tone but with two tracks, both panned 100%.