The Children Of Bodom Gear Thread

Mixing does matter A LOT. You can't really rely on a studio recording cause they modify so many things on a recording ... they can boost and cut pretty much anything to make your recording sound warmer, fuller, more powerful.
I mean, compare a song like hatebreeder/children of decadence with a song like Sixpounder (Yeah, different tuning i know). But still, you can hardly say that this is the same amplifier.
You have to compare both pickup's in the same guitar and environment (amp, room, volume, etc) to make a conclusion.

Children of bodom's old sound is not really something you can compare to nowadays metal. They used to be/and still are so much influenced by 80's metal. Their guitars, pickups, amplifiers, clothes, choice of coversongs, and much more.

Alexi's choice of Jackson (RR) Guitars was mainly influenced by Ozzy, WASP, Stone. The Lee Jackson GP1000 is a amplifier build for 80's metal player that require that raw vintage sound. Even the Kerry King signature amp is nothing more then a hotrodded JCM800 which is used in the 80's by almost any hardrock/metal band like Guns n Roses/van halen/zakk wylde/and all that stuff.
Laiho also like's lots of mid in his tone, not a huge compressed high-gain sound.

All of their coversongs are either completely based on nonsense/fun or are songs out of the 80's.

And ever noticed alexi's clothing in the early years of CoB? Not the common metalhead?

Notice alexi's quotes: Fucking Rock and Roll ... wanna hear some heavy metal tonight?

All i want to say that their influence is reflected in all of their stuff, even in their choice of pickups/etc. They do not want a awesome metal sound, but they want their own sound.

They're both passives and the J-50BC is clearer to my ears. He even used the J-50BC on Hate Crew Deathroll so it's not the pickup only, it's the overall setup from that, to poweramps, to mixing and mastering and mics etc.

I know but I had an J-50 BC too before in my guitar and comparing to my old HZ it sounded to weak. Maybe I'm the only one who like the sound on AYDY more than the FTR or HCDR sound - I know that most of it depents on your other equipment - but I rather prefer the HZ sound. I also like the sound from the Jan. YG issue a lot.

^Inhe would agree with you, I myself prefer HCD's tone, and even though mix and amps and everything have a HUGE effect, that was recorded with J50BCs. Besides, from the recordings in here which are quite raw I really like how Mitch's tone sounds. I know his soundcard and playing have a lot to do too and that stuff, but I like the general tone.

Mixing does matter A LOT. You can't really rely on a studio recording cause they modify so many things on a recording ... they can boost and cut pretty much anything to make your recording sound warmer, fuller, more powerful.
I mean, compare a song like hatebreeder/children of decadence with a song like Sixpounder (Yeah, different tuning i know). But still, you can hardly say that this is the same amplifier.
You have to compare both pickup's in the same guitar and environment (amp, room, volume, etc) to make a conclusion.

Children of bodom's old sound is not really something you can compare to nowadays metal. They used to be/and still are so much influenced by 80's metal. Their guitars, pickups, amplifiers, clothes, choice of coversongs, and much more.

Alexi's choice of Jackson (RR) Guitars was mainly influenced by Ozzy, WASP, Stone. The Lee Jackson GP1000 is a amplifier build for 80's metal player that require that raw vintage sound. Even the Kerry King signature amp is nothing more then a hotrodded JCM800 which is used in the 80's by almost any hardrock/metal band like Guns n Roses/van halen/zakk wylde/and all that stuff.
Laiho also like's lots of mid in his tone, not a huge compressed high-gain sound.

All of their coversongs are either completely based on nonsense/fun or are songs out of the 80's.

And ever noticed alexi's clothing in the early years of CoB? Not the common metalhead?

Notice alexi's quotes: Fucking Rock and Roll ... wanna hear some heavy metal tonight?

All i want to say that their influence is reflected in all of their stuff, even in their choice of pickups/etc. They do not want a awesome metal sound, but they want their own sound.

Agreed.

blogs-alexiguitarlarge.jpg

It looks like Alexi swapped the pickup and installed an MM-04 (?)
I've checked espguitars.com and Alexi's is the old one (no signature on the headstock, cutaway). And the MM-04 location is not the same (I don't think the first version had one...?).

I don't know much about ESP and maybe you wont find that interesting but who knows...

I've checked espguitars.com and Alexi's is the old one (no signature on the headstock, cutaway). And the MM-04 location is not the same (I don't think the first version had one...?).

I don't know much about ESP and maybe you wont find that interesting but who knows...

Well,If im right he got that guitar a long time ago before the US site was changing everything.Also that guitars like the last guitar if all the others would fail on tour so I do not know whether he would change the pup in that guitar.

absolutely agree :headbang:

Well Im having some problems,i jimmy rigged the end of a guitar lead to directly connect to the speaker in the back of my crappy laney speaker.So i have the GP and SP doin the work but it doesnt sound good at all,i mean its not really how i had expected it to sound.It actually sounded better when the GP just connected straight into the amp rather then connecting it with the SP and straight to the speakers.Any ideas why it isnt sounding so good ??

Mm, do you have some pictures or sound clips? You're writing isn't really clear, so i have a hard time understanding what you mean.

Can you describe how it sounds (as detailed as possible) and how you imagined how it would it sound.

Mm, do you have some pictures or sound clips? You're writing isn't really clear, so i have a hard time understanding what you mean.

Can you describe how it sounds (as detailed as possible) and how you imagined how it would it sound.

well i wanted it to sound really crisp likee mitch's,but i mean i can sense it being muffled in a way like as if it has too much bass even though its really low.it just sounds muffled or covered up.sorry thats the best way its comings to my head :(

well i wanted it to sound really crisp likee mitch's,but i mean i can sense it being muffled in a way like as if it has too much bass even though its really low.it just sounds muffled or covered up.sorry thats the best way its comings to my head :(
I heard that you have to be carefull that you dont set the Master Output high on the GP1000. Keep it low, arround 9 o clock (5/20)

You can try that ... i dont have a gp1000 or sp1000 so it's hard for me to think of a solution.

Yep, that's the old version of the USA version and he didn't change the pickup. Maybe the cover, but not the pickup, as the pld one already carried the EMGHZ from default. But he did add what looks like the MM04 and some stickers. As shadowchild said, that's Alexi's last guitar and I hadn't seen him playing it except that thing with George Lynch, dunno why he took it to the GW office.

Well Im having some problems,i jimmy rigged the end of a guitar lead to directly connect to the speaker in the back of my crappy laney speaker.So i have the GP and SP doin the work but it doesnt sound good at all,i mean its not really how i had expected it to sound.It actually sounded better when the GP just connected straight into the amp rather then connecting it with the SP and straight to the speakers.Any ideas why it isnt sounding so good ??

What are your settings? If you scooped the mids then i don't wonder :lol: