The Children Of Bodom Gear Thread

Because you they made more cover songs than you can put on one cd.

I think Knuckleduster was recorded during the AYDY recordings, so the setup should be the same as on the album.

Because you they made more than cover songs than you can put on one cd.

I think Knuckleduster was recorded during the AYDY recordings, so the setup should be the same as on the album.

A double disc version with ALL covers ever recorded is what they should have released, imo.

everybody says that but im just looking for ease of use while onstage of course if u cant get better quality for the same price u have to do some research

excuse the absurd question, but does anyone know what strings Alexi used in the first 2 Sinergy albums? There's something about the tone in those strings (or maybe it's just his fingers) that makes me go fuck, I want that.

I am pretty sure that if you get the amp and guitar and pickups and all, strings are gonna be the last thing having effect on the tone. Sure they were not the cheapest shit you could find in a guitar store, but guitar->pickup->amp->cab are imo the most important things and all would go before the strings, I don't think the strings themselves would give you much.

ah, maybe. I'm sure you guys are right about the production of the overall tone.
but there's something in the way that it's played that is making me think the strings do make a difference. It's like really crisp. For example, I have D'Addarios on one guitar right now, and DR on another guitar. There is a very big difference in the tone and the feel of the strings themselves. I know that sounds unlikely, cuz you'll say, "well hey, they are 2 different guitars, they have different specs". But I can feel it in the strings and in my fingers, if you know what I mean. The DRs are way more crisp. So that's why I was asking. I wonder if Alexi used DRs back then.

The crispy, full of mids, razor sharp sound comes from the GP1000 mainly and then from the J50BC and JE1000. Check Mitch's videos using those to see what I mean, even though he is playing through a 10W practice amp and not through a whole rig with poweramp and cab and all you still hear that.

You will not get to sound like him because his fingers and way of playing it do affect a lot. An example you can easily see, Mitch and Arcane have really high playing levels both of them, and play through similar sets [passive+MM04/JE1000 into Pandora] and all, but they sound nothing alike, each has their own. Same with Alexi, even with his own rig you wouldn't get his tone. And nor would Steve Vai for that matter, it's not a matter of abilities, but each one's own playing. But as far as gear has to have an effect, guitar+pickup+amp+cab is 99'999999999999% of it. You wouldn't really notice strings.

ah, maybe. I'm sure you guys are right about the production of the overall tone.
but there's something in the way that it's played that is making me think the strings do make a difference. It's like really crisp. For example, I have D'Addarios on one guitar right now, and DR on another guitar. There is a very big difference in the tone and the feel of the strings themselves. I know that sounds unlikely, cuz you'll say, "well hey, they are 2 different guitars, they have different specs". But I can feel it in the strings and in my fingers, if you know what I mean. The DRs are way more crisp. So that's why I was asking. I wonder if Alexi used DRs back then.

String tension also has an affect on tone.

two things that intrigue me are how to correctly eq to get bodoms tone and what would be a good balance between noise reduction and gain/distortion levels..

well more than that Bro :)

a nice Poweramp and a Set of Cokesmoking Fingers :lol:

Yeah of course, but at a basic level!

And I agree with Twisha about two guitars with two different sets of strings, but when everything's cranked up to recording/live volume, it's not noticable anymore. It's only really when you're playing them acoustic that it makes a difference, or even at room levels...that's what I've found at least.

String tension also has an affect on tone.
definitely.
Yeah of course, but at a basic level!

And I agree with Twisha about two guitars with two different sets of strings, but when everything's cranked up to recording/live volume, it's not noticable anymore. It's only really when you're playing them acoustic that it makes a difference, or even at room levels...that's what I've found at least.

oh no wonder. I've never gotten to play guitar cranked up/at live volume level. So you're probably right about that. I've definitely found there is a difference at common headphone volume though. And the difference in the way the strings feel is definitely there too. Sometimes it's such a mental thing. Like when the strings feel better and the tone you hear coming thru the speakers/headphones sounds better, you automatically play better too, haha. Must be a confidence thing.

The real/most noticeable difference is between new and used strings. Between two new sets of strings installed on the same guitar you really don't feel the difference. I've tried that with the other player in my band (we both had the Ibanez RG350DX back in the day) and I used Dunlop and he used D'Addario and the difference when new wasn't noticeable. Maybe, and just maybe, when playing unplugged, but no difference when plugged into the amp.

I get sound which sounds much more Alexi (maybe HCDR moust) with Korg PX4D and J-50BC+MM04 than what I got with just GP-1000. I did not have any power-amp back then when I owned GP-1000, so I really can´t say much 'bout that.

I will post photos of the gear section from the Alexi Laiho Young Guitar special tomorrow if anyone wants.

I'm also going to try and get decent shots of the guitars so I can put them in the first post, since the Scyhtes Of Bodom link doesn't exist anymore.

I will post photos of the gear section from the Alexi Laiho Young Guitar special tomorrow if anyone wants.

I'm also going to try and get decent shots of the guitars so I can put them in the first post, since the Scyhtes Of Bodom link doesn't exist anymore.

please Mitch!