The Children Of Bodom Gear Thread

exactly its hard to be original
Especially when you're Alexi Laiho fanboy :Smug: I would never buy the same gear that the guitarist I worship has. I might be somekinda Laiho fanboy, but at least I'm not asking on the bands official forum where you can buy the same strap their lead guitarist uses.

why do people buy RR24 guitars (on this forum)? To look like him
I don't think so. Using a V-shaped guitar is a very common sight in metal scene these days. I'm not saying it's a fucking trend but still it's very popular. I bought mine V-shaped guitar few years ago because I saw Kerry King of Slayer on YouTube. I loved the guitar and I would never want to dress like KfK, play like KfK and have same kinda tattoos that KfK has. Same with Alexi. Of course there are few serious fanboys that dress like him, have same gear and play like him. Of course I prefer decent unoriginal playing to shitty original playing, but I don't think there's so big difference.

I don't think so. Using a V-shaped guitar is a very common sight in metal scene these days. I'm not saying it's a fucking trend but still it's very popular. I bought mine V-shaped guitar few years ago because I saw Kerry King of Slayer on YouTube. I loved the guitar and I would never want to dress like KfK, play like KfK and have same kinda tattoos that KfK has. Same with Alexi. Of course there are few serious fanboys that dress like him, have same gear and play like him. Of course I prefer decent unoriginal playing to shitty original playing, but I don't think there's so big difference.

You know what, I agree with some of the stuff, but about the guitars... Take a look at the people on this forum, you see people buying ESP Alexi or RR24 with white neck binding and yellow bevels, and you might say "well those are just regular guitars" and it's true, but why do they change the pickups and all that stuff when it's already setup? So they can sound like Alexi. And then you make yourself the conclusion that the V shaped guitar they've got wasn't cause they wanna be original, but cause Alexi has the same thing, and it just looks and sounds cool.

That's not true at all. V-shaped guitars - especially RR guitars look awesome. I would never have another shape. If Alexi would play a Ibanez I would never buy a Ibanez because he plays one. The thing is that nearly all RR guitars except the ESP STD has something to do with Alexi. Yeah, the ESP STD is the only RR guitarfrom ESP which has nothing to do with him. Same with the RR24 - only difference is that he never played one or is one of his signature. The thing with pickups is that the EMG 81's are shit in my opinion. And the HZ pickups or the J-50BC sound pretty cool in my opinion and most of the RR guitars came with one of Alexis pickup. I would also try some other pickups but I don't know much about them.

That's not true at all. V-shaped guitars - especially RR guitars look awesome. I would never have another shape. If Alexi would play a Ibanez I would never buy a Ibanez because he plays one. The thing is that nearly all RR guitars except the ESP STD has something to do with Alexi. Yeah, the ESP STD is the only RR guitarfrom ESP which has nothing to do with him. Same with the RR24 - only difference is that he never played one or is one of his signature. The thing with pickups is that the EMG 81's are shit in my opinion. And the HZ pickups or the J-50BC sound pretty cool in my opinion and most of the RR guitars came with one of Alexis pickup. I would also try some other pickups but I don't know much about them.
With other words, you got the same pickups like him cause you like his sound :loco: and you know... I do the same thing :lol:

HELL YEA!!!:D
It's the black nail polish that makes Alexi fast

PRACTICE?!?!?!?!? psshhhhh fuck that, its ALL in the nail polish

Just found this which seems to have more info on their gear, particular the Jackson Preamp:

https://www.premierguitar.com/Magaz...he_Return_of_Lee_Jacksons_GP_1000.aspx?Page=2

"How long have Alexi and Roope been using the Lee Jackson Perfect Connection GP-1000 preamp?

I started working with Alexi in 2001, and he was already using the GP-1000. Alexi recorded the last CD, Blooddrunk, with the new model from Marshall, the Kerry King amp, and he was pretty happy with the sound. But as soon we started our next world tour, we had quite a lot of problems with these amps, so Alexi decided to go back to the old stuff he was using, because we never had any problems with these.

There are two or three basic versions of this preamp, which can be ascertained by the serial number. What are the serial numbers of these GP-1000 preamps?

They are 880531 and 870576. We do have a spare one, which I don’t have the serial number for right now, because the gear is on the way to the next festival.

Which brand of tubes are preferred for their GP-1000s?

Usually, we’re using Groove Tubes for preamps and power amps.

What are the settings for each GP-1000?

The settings for both players are different, but basically it’s: preamp Volume on maximum, Distortion [push-pull pot] pulled out and on maximum; the Middle pretty much on full, Bass and Treble in mid-position. Alexi likes a pretty bright and mid sound for his solo parts. Roope was using more low end on the preamp. I can add that both guys, Alexi and Roope, are using internal boosters for their guitars to get enough distortion from the preamp.

Have any modifications been performed on their GP-1000s?

Yes. Both preamps of Alexi and Roope are modified. A guy in Helsinki made them have a little more distortion."

So if I read the article correct it seems like they are in the process of re-makeing the GP-1000 as a rack unit AND as a pedal.

Pretty cool.

Had no idea Zakk Wylde used these back in the day.

id say get a tone zone or the emg hz if you dont like the sound of the pickup when you try it, musnt be bad though

Can't try it :cry:

I really like Arcane's tone in his 2009 videos (eg. ETID) it's mabye a little bit too harsh but anyways. I wonder if he uses Seymour Duncan on that video.

I did, yes. But the pickup hasn't much to do with the tone. It's more my amp settings. Btw. the best COBish tone I ever had was in my Rebel Yell cover were I used Revalver MKIII. Too bad I lost my settings for it and can't remember them.

Can't try it :cry:

I really like Arcane's tone in his 2009 videos (eg. ETID) it's mabye a little bit too harsh but anyways. I wonder if he uses Seymour Duncan on that video.

i meant when you buy the guitar, id tell you buy it, you wont be dissapointed

Just found this which seems to have more info on their gear, particular the Jackson Preamp:

https://www.premierguitar.com/Magaz...he_Return_of_Lee_Jacksons_GP_1000.aspx?Page=2

"How long have Alexi and Roope been using the Lee Jackson Perfect Connection GP-1000 preamp?

I started working with Alexi in 2001, and he was already using the GP-1000. Alexi recorded the last CD, Blooddrunk, with the new model from Marshall, the Kerry King amp, and he was pretty happy with the sound. But as soon we started our next world tour, we had quite a lot of problems with these amps, so Alexi decided to go back to the old stuff he was using, because we never had any problems with these.

There are two or three basic versions of this preamp, which can be ascertained by the serial number. What are the serial numbers of these GP-1000 preamps?

They are 880531 and 870576. We do have a spare one, which I don’t have the serial number for right now, because the gear is on the way to the next festival.

Which brand of tubes are preferred for their GP-1000s?

Usually, we’re using Groove Tubes for preamps and power amps.

What are the settings for each GP-1000?

The settings for both players are different, but basically it’s: preamp Volume on maximum, Distortion [push-pull pot] pulled out and on maximum; the Middle pretty much on full, Bass and Treble in mid-position. Alexi likes a pretty bright and mid sound for his solo parts. Roope was using more low end on the preamp. I can add that both guys, Alexi and Roope, are using internal boosters for their guitars to get enough distortion from the preamp.

Have any modifications been performed on their GP-1000s?

Yes. Both preamps of Alexi and Roope are modified. A guy in Helsinki made them have a little more distortion."

Appreciate!!! Man! :headbang: This definitely is the most useful information for the past one year which I've looked for a long time. During the past one year, I never saw such a fucking breakthrough, the board was just filled with a lot of useless talk and debate instead. o_O

So Alexi has been using his new(?) signature guitar for a couple of months now. (black V /w yellow pinstripes) It seems he played with it at Ankkarock 2010 and he also played with his white V /w black pinstripes. Now, I'll miss the blacky guitar. :(