The Children Of Bodom Gear Thread

Children Of Bodom - Hatebreeder (1999):

Alexi Laiho - Guitars (tuned to D standard):
• Custom Shop Jackson "Stone" RR (J-50BC pickup & JE-1000 gainboost)

Alexi Laiho - Amps:
• Lee Jackson Perfect Connection GP-1000 Pre-amp
• Rocktron Velocity 300 Power amp

hey guitar players :)
on page 1 you can read that Alexi used a Rocktron Velocity 300 Power amp when hatebreeder was recorded.
The rocktron homepage (http://www.rocktron.com) says that "The Velocity 300 is the latest in our line of Velocity power amps".
Did they reproduce the Rocktron Velocity 300 power amp Alexi used in `99? Or did Alexi use a complete different?
Does someone have that power amp? Are you happy with the sound?

Alexi Laiho - Amps:

on page 1 you can read that Alexi used a Rocktron Velocity 300 Power amp when hatebreeder was recorded.
The rocktron homepage (http://www.rocktron.com) says that "The Velocity 300 is the latest in our line of Velocity power amps".
Did they reproduce the Rocktron Velocity 300 power amp Alexi used in `99? Or did Alexi use a complete different?

I wonder why he didn't use that in tokyo warhearts if they use the same equipment as in studio.

Alexi Laiho - Amps:

Yes you could get the early Bodom sound out of it. I own the new version, but I guess the old one from the early 90's are better. The one you get in stores today is just a one rack spaced re-release. Alexi used the one from the early 90's. But the SP-1000 sounds better. If you want to buy a solid state power amp I'd look for the SP-1000, but the Velocity 300 aint bad.

thanks for your answers!

Yes you could get the early Bodom sound out of it. I own the new version, but I guess the old one from the early 90's are better. The one you get in stores today is just a one rack spaced re-release. Alexi used the one from the early 90's. But the SP-1000 sounds better. If you want to buy a solid state power amp I'd look for the SP-1000, but the Velocity 300 aint bad.

The SP-1000 is hard to get:(
I`m seriously considering to buy the Rocktron 300. Would you recommend that power amp? Or is the SP-1000 so much better that you would rather wait until you get one?

thanks for your answers!

I`m seriously considering to buy the Rocktron 300. Would you recommend that power amp? Or is the SP-1000 so much better that you would rather wait until you get one?

NEXT MONTH im getting a SP-1000 MOTHAFOCKAH :D and ill RAPE YOU ALL MUWHAHAHA ! :Smokedev:

kidding but im getting an sp-1000, id say spare your money and try to buy one to but to be honest i quess every tube poweramp would fit an GP-1000 really good in anyway

thanks for your answers!

I own both and if you manage to set the Rocktron 300 right it sounds pretty much like it does on the album, IF you got the GP-1000 and a rocktron intellifex/alesis quadraverb. And make sure the effects unit got a EQ it makes all the difference in the world to achieve the bodom sound, even if you own a je-1000 or mmv-04. BTW: http://cgi.ebay.com/Rocktron-Veloci...461?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c5922ea55 <--- the old version dude! BUY IT!

NEXT MONTH im getting a SP-1000 MOTHAFOCKAH :D and ill RAPE YOU ALL MUWHAHAHA ! :Smokedev:

kidding but im getting an sp-1000, id say spare your money and try to buy one to but to be honest i quess every tube poweramp would fit an GP-1000 really good in anyway

*jealous*
No, thats really cool! Where did you get the sp-1000 from?
If you tested the sp-1000 would you like to write just a small experiential report:) (if it affected the sound a lot, etc.)?
I would appreciate that.

*jealous*
No, thats really cool! Where did you get the sp-1000 from?
If you tested the sp-1000 would you like to write just a small experiential report:) (if it affected the sound a lot, etc.)?
I would appreciate that.

I'm not sure if I should answer or Fastbodom. But I own the sp-1000 and it just a one sound power amp. (Only knobs on it is one volume knob for each channel). And it's not a tube power amp, it's a solid state power amp with built in tube-simulation and distortion. It's pretty much just one sound. And if you got the gp-1000 you will end up with the sound on "Tokyo Warheats" or the Seoul gig from 2001. You might need some reverb and EQ plus a hush unit thought. If you want to hear it without reverb and EQ, you could search for sp-1000 on youtube. There is this one guy from this forum who have some videos of bodom covers with gp-1000/sp-1000.

Can't you guys record something with both SP and GP to see what the sound actually is and if it's really like TW.

Can't you guys record something with both SP and GP to see what the sound actually is and if it's really like TW.

Here is gp-1000 + sp-1000 + marshall 1960 cab. It's that guy from this forum i was talking about in my previous post.

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks for your answer :) I think I´ll save my money and wait until someone sells his/her sp-1000 on ebay. What is a fair price for the sp-1000?
Thanks- I`ll search for it on youtube.

and another question I posted yesterday in the guitar player thred (but I got no answer until today so maybe you guys have the time to answer):
http://leejacksonamplifiers.blogspot.com/2009/01/new-gp-1000ii-all-tube-preamp-is-coming.html
Just found this. The blog entry is nearly 2 years old... Do you know if you can already buy the gp-1000II?
If yes has anyone tried it? Is it as good as the old gp-1000?

Well you do as you please with your own money. Both power amps are worth getting. It sells from 150 to 450 US dollars. Its about 3-4 on ebay every year.

It think the gp-1000II is delayed or canceled. It only exist in some prototypes at Lee Jacksons labs. :p
Try asking him some questions about it by mail or myspace.

By the way the first post is incorrect, I haven't seen one picture of his rig with that gp-1000 setting and I've tried it and it sounds shit. Middle should never be on full on the gp-1000.

Well you do as you please with your own money. Both power amps are worth getting. It sells from 150 to 450 US dollars. Its about 3-4 on ebay every year.

It think the gp-1000II is delayed or canceled. It only exist in some prototypes at Lee Jacksons labs. :p
Try asking him some questions about it by mail or myspace.

too bad that they didn`t finish the gp-1000II. But I will ask him- IF he responds I will tell you what he wrote.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JoijC_6sZYU
Here is gp-1000 + sp-1000 + marshall 1960 cab. It's that guy from this forum i was talking about in my previous post.

well Elli

this is the guy where im buying my SP-1000 From (he lives in France)
and he is indeed on this boards to ! but he is kinda getting into diffrent style i quess

i talk allot with him trough MSN messenger, and sorry elli i dont have any experiance with an SP-1000 but i can tell you it Wont really effects the sound, well atleast the power that comes from the sound but thats hard to explain, you need to hear it...