The Children Of Bodom Gear Thread

On a side note I'm curious to see how his new EMG-ALX influences the sound of the new album. I liked AYDY and BD, but esp with BD it sounded muddy and undefined because of the Blackouts.

what kinda blackouts have you been listening to? they react like passives so youre talking crap. there's nothing muddy about them

The AHB-1b, made by Seymour Duncan. The one I ripped out of my guitar because it sounded like shit. The one I replaced with and EMG H-4 and MM-04 booster.

This was iin the new guitar world magazine I just got.

GW: What were the main guitars you used on Relentless, Reckless Forever?

AL:I actually played the album with one guitar: my awesome custom ESP with the pink pinstripes. It just turned out to be the best-sounding guitar for all the songs. I had, like, five ESP's in the studio, and they all have the same shit. But because they're all custom made, each sounded slightly different. I was going to use different guitars for different tracks, but I got so comfortable with this one that I finished with everything before I even knew it. For strings I use DR .10 to .56. Most of our shit is in Drop C and standard D, so its great to have the thick bottom for those tunings.

GW: What were your go-to amps and effects?

AL: It was a Lee Jackson GP-1000 Perfect Connection preamp from the Eighties. I've been using that thing since the second album (1999's Hatebreeder). I love the sound of it. The preamp is a pain in the ass, since it's always broken, but it's easy enough to get fixed. Everything went through a VHT power amp and a Dunlop chorus pedal. I also used a Blackstar head and Marshall cabs this time out. That's it. I kept it real simple, like I always do.

Ha I knew those bright high tones came from the blackstar, well he should stick with the GP-1000 for everything next time, sounds a lot better!

Haha that's an argentinian guy that buys custom guitars and he did an exact replica of Alexi's guitar. Apparently he even built a 20db preamp simulating the booster Alexi has.

@srob: could you scan the interview please??

@CoCOB - I only have scanner at work so I will see if I can scan and at least post link to it or something. The interview itself was mainly about when ALexi got his ulcer and had to go to the hospital, the gear thing I posted above was just a little box in corner of page about gear used to record.

Mainly posted that as I know a few of us were wondering if they did indeed use the Blackstar amps on the album. Very surprised by the fact that he only used 1 guitar for entire album. Wish they would have asked about what P/U he used as I know we are all kind of wondering. I just want to know if he is really using his sig EMG or not. Either way, tone on album is best yet, IMO.

yeah, i knew he used the old stuff in new album. because obviously, it sounds really like Gp1000. however, in my opinion, it's worse than AYDY and HCD though.

^What is worse than in AYDY and HCD, the tone? If so you must have either downloaded a really crappy version or have a really crappy soundsystem. RRF has pretty much the best tone of all COB albums. My top which used to be HCD now feels a bit too compressed and the one that went after, HB, now feels so thin and kind of powerless.

I spoke to Roope yesterday and asked him what gear they're using for the live shows. From what I remember he was saying how Alexi is using a new Engl Preamp.

I spoke to Roope yesterday and asked him what gear they're using for the live shows. From what I remember he was saying how Alexi is using a new Engl Preamp.

hmm.. in the big book version of RRF i have.. there are photos of the band in the studio and at one point there is an ENGL E530 on the desk.. possibly that he is playing through. I did notice that Roope was playing through ENGL cabs but I could see his rack from where i was standing and Roopes rack looked like it had the GP1000... im sure i could see the little red light that im so used to seeing when looking at my own rack to make sure the thing is turned on!!

the ENGL e530 is a decent little preamp though.. so regardless hes still gonna have decent tone!

^What is worse than in AYDY and HCD, the tone? If so you must have either downloaded a really crappy version or have a really crappy soundsystem. RRF has pretty much the best tone of all COB albums. My top which used to be HCD now feels a bit too compressed and the one that went after, HB, now feels so thin and kind of powerless.

well, everyone has different opinion. and i didn't use any crappy soundsystem to play the album. in my opinion, RRF has too much mid.
But i agree with u, HB is thin and powerless. however, it's still a pretty good tone though.

i just came from the gig in porto yesterday of them. their tone was the best i ver heard in my life. you guys sure its the engl e530?

i just came from the gig in porto yesterday of them. their tone was the best i ver heard in my life. you guys sure its the engl e530?

I don't think anyone knows for sure.

I was looking into the engle e530 a month or so ago, and it does have a very similar sound to lots of the Bodom tones. Check it out on youtube and you will see.

I am more interested to know what Blackstar amp they used. My guess it that it was the 200 watt KT88 monster (Series 1 - 200), but I have yet to see or hear of anything for sure on this.