The Children Of Bodom Gear Thread

That will look pretty, on the BYB the logo is yellow and with golden tuners it has too much yellow on the headstock, imo (as I saw on Arystar's). So I will only change the floyd(and the nut maybe) and the pot to golden ones, when I'll come to that.

These are the only pictures I have on my PC. They are from a few years ago, but it still looks the same now.

Hardest gold parts to find were the 6 screws that go into the pick up. The stock ones were black, but I had to have gold.

Does yours sound better with the pickup swap? Is the alx worth getting?

I replaced my 81 for the ALX pickup and then bought a ESP MM04 booster as well for my RR24. Sounds a lot better than the stock 81 (more clarity and that very cool slight wah tone on the higher strings which makes leads sound smoother)- I used the ALX booster in another guitar of mine & it's still good but doesn't sound as nice as the MM04 & has less tone options.

I may one day re-put my Jackson J50BC in the guitar while using the MM04 to see how it sounds as I originally installed the J50BC but bought a JE-1000 clone gainboost (which sounded horrible and was noisy as fuck) and at the time wasn't sure if it was the pickup or gainboost that was playing up so just took everything out and used the ALX pickup & MM04.

That will look pretty, on the BYB the logo is yellow and with golden tuners it has too much yellow on the headstock, imo (as I saw on Arystar's). So I will only change the floyd(and the nut maybe) and the pot to golden ones, when I'll come to that.

At first i thought that it would be to yellow aswell, but ultimatly i still did a full gold hardware setup and imo it isnt that obvious or disturbing to the view, but tastes differ :p
If the day comes il by a white sticker online and drop it over the logo(yes they exist, stickers the same as the normal logo cut out and everything) http://www.guitarvinyl.com/index.php?page=shop.browse&category_id=14&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=1

I replaced my 81 for the ALX pickup and then bought a ESP MM04 booster as well for my RR24. Sounds a lot better than the stock 81 (more clarity and that very cool slight wah tone on the higher strings which makes leads sound smoother)- I used the ALX booster in another guitar of mine & it's still good but doesn't sound as nice as the MM04 & has less tone options.

I may one day re-put my Jackson J50BC in the guitar while using the MM04 to see how it sounds as I originally installed the J50BC but bought a JE-1000 clone gainboost (which sounded horrible and was noisy as fuck) and at the time wasn't sure if it was the pickup or gainboost that was playing up so just took everything out and used the ALX pickup & MM04.

Seriously, get the clone from this board...its REALLY good! I have one and as soon as i can spend cash on it I will buy a 2nd one (although i dont have a 2nd J50BC yet :rofl:)

No one use them?:(

DR alexi strings are imo just the same as the regular ones, I've used both and they seemed the same, but I dislike DR, I sometimes get sweaty fingers and the strings immediatly color orange/brown and change tone

atm I'm using Ernie Ball 10-52 and they stay in tune and do not suffer so much from sweat and stuff + they are more durable

No one use them?:(

I used DRs for a year or two. Then one time there were no DRs in the store so I bough Elixir Nanowebs (Coated against rust). They promise the string to last longer than any other, and, for once, the praise seems to be true. I've been using Elixir's for 1,5 years now and I'm only on my third set of strings :yow: They cost a bit more than most strings but they also last over twice what I get with others so in the end I deem them the best choice.

Yeah Elixir ftw ;) I use them for a long time and they are durable, although they are the most expensive string kit but it worth the price if you change them once a year, but nowadays I don't use my old guitar as much as I did, so I decided to try another one on that, I used Ernie ball back in the day, so that's way I'm thinking about the DR Strings, see what Alexi likes in them.

So the store where I've ordered DR Strings, didn't have 10-46 original DR Strings nor Alexi ones, so they've sent me a kit of 10-46 Dimebag DR Strings, on the original one's price, fair enough. :Smokedev:

I'm curious how they will sound and how durable are they.

Occasionally I use DR Black Beauties more for aesthetic reasons really. Whenever I've entertained getting some regular or Alexi DRs, I get turned off by the high price though. I appreciate that DR makes their own strings and that they're a relatively small business compared to Ernie Ball and Daddario, but lately I've buying larger quantities of strings and Dunlop and GHS prices are hard to beat.

I still can't rid of that annoying open high E problem... Does the string able to cut so deeply into the nut ?base?, that it cause the "buzzing"? Also once I couldn't tune it and there was a cling like the string had broken, but nothing seemed to happen, after that I was able to tune it up. Btw, it's a 8-year-old guitar and has some wears on the nut and the locking blocks on the FR, but it's able to hold the tune, and it hasn't got any problems with the other strings.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh and I will buy DR Strings no more, next to/ unlike Elixirs they sound much duller and the other companies usually don't describe their strings as corrosion protected, DR did, nonetheless on the high strings I've found some blackish...IDK...dust or rust/corrosion?...so... Btw, I asked the shopkeeper of the music store in my home town, if they have some, he said no, because a lot of customers complained about them, I bought my ones from a big music store from another city, but this kit was probably just a leftover too.
But I needed the experience, to feel it...:Smokedev::loco:
So seriously idk why Alexi likes them..

DR strings, IMO, are not that great. They seem to get a lot of hype but they didn't impress me. I just stick with what I have been using for most of my guitar playing life.....D'Adarrio. I get the most life out of them and I rarely ever break them, plus they stay bright for quite some time. Plus they are not that expensive. I buy the 10 pack boxes and it will last me a long time.

DR strings, IMO, are not that great. They seem to get a lot of hype but they didn't impress me. I just stick with what I have been using for most of my guitar playing life.....D'Adarrio. I get the most life out of them and I rarely ever break them, plus they stay bright for quite some time. Plus they are not that expensive. I buy the 10 pack boxes and it will last me a long time.

Agreed, I've tried DR and Ernie Ball and D'Adarrio are so much better in feel and tone. DR strings tend to last the longest though for me.

Agreed, I've tried DR and Ernie Ball and D'Adarrio are so much better in feel and tone. DR strings tend to last the longest though for me.

DR's the most long-lasting? That's peculiar, I burned through a set in 1-2 hours of playing. Maybe I got a bad set or something :confused:

I only use Elixir strings, they last me for months.

Btw, the confusing thing with Elixir is, why do they start to opening after a few weeks, the 5th string started to lint on the second week on my RR, after I've changed the strings . It cause no problem, imo, but why did it happen?

Btw, the confusing thing with Elixir is, why do they start to opening after a few weeks, the 5th string started to lint on the second week on my RR, after I've changed the strings . It cause no problem, imo, but why did it happen?

Weird. I can't say that I've experienced that. Just to clarify, do you mean the coating of the string starts to come off or...?