The concerts thread

The Palladium is a dump, but it will always be dear to me as my first metal venue, and so far my most frequented. Same can be said for yourself I believe.

Aw, come on. It's not that bad...
Ever go to the Avalon near Fenway? That was a good venue, although it was really, really small. Too bad it shut down.

1. I would have to put up with obnoxious people.
Unlike outside of concerts?

. I would have to pay money to get in, getting charged anywhere from $2-$50 for a ticket is not to my benefit. The money can be best spent elsewhere.
How cheap are you? No one's saying you have to spend every penny, but $25 to see bands you like?

The experience is temporary, I am basically paying to listen to something that I will either get to hear one time or have already heard.
Missing the point much?
The whole point is that it's temporary. A bunch of fans getting together to have fun while their favorite band rocks out.

Since it is a temporary experience, I can just buy the song/album and listen to it every day instead of going to a one-time show.
...and miss out on the energy. Plus, it sounds completely different live. Way louder and more powerful.

People shouting ruin the audio quality of the song and sometimes there are no rules against it.
You've gotta be kidding. You can't hear anyone else even if they yell right in your fucking ear hole. And what do you mean, sometimes there are no rules against it? A metal concert where you aren't allowed to shout?

Nobody ever comes to my state and I am not traveling just to see a concert lasting only a few hours.
Slightly more valid. But unless you live in Hawaii, probably not true.

Sometimes you do not know what songs the band is going to play until after you attend the concert and paid money for it, meaning it is possible to pay for a concert and have the band do nothing but play the very songs you hate.
My god! You paid $20 and they played a song you didn't like. Poor boobie.

go to a show and then you'll see that you really can't.

more on topic though, i totally missed forbidden, they played this saturday in a tiny studio or something but i spaced out and forgot to go. fuck. hopefully the show will be equally or close to as awesome when i see them this week. i'm just hoping they don't cut down the setlist because there will be 2 bands instead of 1.

That may be but I was arguing that there are more favorably alternatives to it. Whatever you normally do at concerts, do in the park or in the confines of your own home while having the desired songs playing.

EDIT:

Reason 8: Sometimes lines are too long.

What lines? The doors open, you go in... it's not an amusement park.

You can't get the excitement of a concert... You honestly just can't know until you go. I thought the same thing, I used to hate live CD's and never saw the point in seeing a show. After you see your first, though, you'll realize that it's an experience like no other.

Whatever you normally do at concerts, do in the park or in the confines of your own home while having the desired songs playing.

You don't have to be a neuroscientist to see that the fun and interesting aspect of going to shows is watching the band play, especially when they are a good tight live act with a good stage show and good sound. It's called entertainment. If you think it's worthless and a waste of time, good for you. Go to the park. And GTFO of this thread while you're at it, because you're shitting it up greatly.

You don't have to be a neuroscientist to see that the fun and interesting aspect of going to shows is watching the band play, especially when they are a good tight live act with a good stage show and good sound. It's called entertainment. If you think it's worthless and a waste of time, good for you. Go to the park. And GTFO of this thread while you're at it, because you're shitting it up greatly.

*slow claps*
If you just added the glory of a grand mosh pit, this would have been perfect.

I was not entirely truthful with my statement that I have never been to a
concert as it did not pertain to metal but judging from a classical music
concert, no, it is a very forgettable experience.

I find classical music concerts to be worthwhile experiences.

listening to a boombox in the park is not the equivalent to going to a show. i just had to point that out in case some of you were gonna stop going to shows because of lemmington's insight

Ordered tickets for Hellfest now.

In Flames, Carcass, Dimmu Borgir, Paradise Lost, Katatonia, Testament, Marduk, Red Sparowes, Alchemist, Baroness, Septic Flesh, Helloween vs Gammaray (wtf?), Ministry, Iced Earth, Apocalyptica, Porcupine Tree, Anathema, Anaal Nathrakh, Imapled Nazarene, Sodom, Belphegor, Watain, Rotten Sound, Shining, Obituary, Opeth, Morbid Angel, Meshuggah, At The Gates, My Dying Bride, Obituary, Cult Of Luna, Dying Fetus, The Ocean, Necrophagist, Primordial, Between The Buried And Me, Arkhon Infaustus, 7 Seconds, Origin, Mayhem.

Yay. >_>

They really need a major extreme metal festival in the United States, something more comprehensive than MDF, more like Wacken or Inferno, or Hellfest as you can see above. I don't understand why there isn't one since the US is one of the biggest markets for metal.

That may be but I was arguing that there are more favorably alternatives to it. Whatever you normally do at concerts, do in the park or in the confines of your own home while having the desired songs playing.

EDIT:

Reason 8: Sometimes lines are too long.
Lines? They are long. Then the doors open, everyone goes in, and there are no more lines.
Anyhow, for one thing, you don't have any real concept of how loud it is till you've gone. You would be arrested if you did it in a park. Also...moshing to a boombox? You've gotta be kidding.
I was not entirely truthful with my statement that I have never been to a
concert as it did not pertain to metal but judging from a classical music
concert, no, it is a very forgettable experience.
Completely different. With classical music concerts, the idea is for it to sound almost exactly like it does in a studio. Which is why many if not most classical CDs are just live recordings - the acoustics and sound are so good there's no difference.
With metal, it's a totally different story. For one thing, you don't fucking sit down. And you sure as hell don't stay quiet.

They really need a major extreme metal festival in the United States, something more comprehensive than MDF, more like Wacken or Inferno, or Hellfest as you can see above. I don't understand why there isn't one since the US is one of the biggest markets for metal.
This.

Preferably on the East Coast...

I wanna go to ProgPower, but I don't think I'll be able to due to timing and shit.

Actually I think the level of fests is pretty adequate and reflective of American metal. You have big things like Ozzfest which is mostly shit along with a few overrated bands, then you get plenty of death metal/grind fests (MDF, CIM, NEDF). All other genres are mostly better in Europe (like black metal, which is hindered anyway due to many bands not playing live) or well beyond their heyday like thrash or classic metal and really don't have the kind of lineup that would warrant a fest.