The concerts thread

Just got back from the show, and it was amazing. They played this setlist.
Galder and Hellhammer were absent so they hired the guitarist from Susperia and the drummer from Vader to fill in for the tour. It was strange to hear Shagrath go out of character and address the crowd in a normal speaking voice.

Moonspell also put on a great performance, as did Skeletonwitch. Winds of Plague bored me to tears and I didn't stay for Danzig.

One down. Amon Amarth/Belphegor tomorrow.

that's funny... i didn't stay for Danzig either... we were all tired and had a long freaking drive to get home so we split after Dimmu. Skeletonwitch was fun but predictable. WOP was shit. And Moonspell was meh.

I'm jealous you saw Horna, the closest to me they are coming is in New York, probably a nice 8 hour drive.

That sucks man...well they played this crappy scene kid venue but it was pretty good...only 20 minutes away.

I only had their Sudentavail album and their new album but I liked em so when I heard they were touring, I figured I'd go.

yes.

they played:
battle metal
one more
holmgard
portage
rasputin
jarselif + the drunken interlude
and one or two more.

not in that order.
~gR~

Sweet...6 days!

maybe someday. but this was only their second tour in the US. and they totally reaped the rewards from touring with dragonforce. theyve grown their fan base 10 fold because of this tour.
~gR~

I saw the band 3 on Tuesday and it was the most epic performance I have ever seen by any band. They played in front of maybe 40 people, but put on such a great show. Bison BC opened for them they were alright I have never heard of em before I saw them.

This band is so amazing live double drums, extremly low tuned bass, and great singer. However their studio albums aren't so great.

I disagree, I think 3 has some really great albums. Their most recent one in particular I enjoyed a lot.

As far as shows go, I'm seeing In Flames exactly one week from today! To make it even more epic it's gonna be at the Hard Rock! :kickass:

Other bands/artists I've seen this year:

Symphony X
Dream Theater
Into Eternity
Epica
Opeth (twice)
Kamelot
Trivium
All That Remains
Joe Satriani
Coheed and Cambria (I love them...sue me)

I may be forgetting a few but those were the highlights, more or less. I saw Dream Theater on the Prog Nation tour but unfortunately missed 3 :cry:

Seen:
Allman Brothers
Incubus
Opeth
Dream Theater (x3)
BTBAM (x3)
Symphony X (x2)
Hatebreed (uhhhh...)
Band of Horses

psyched for maryland deathfest...

This band is so amazing live double drums, extremly low tuned bass, and great singer. However their studio albums aren't so great.
I have The End Is Begun. Not as good as they were live (of course) but pretty solid. The first 5 songs and the last 2 songs are godlike, and then the middle of the album sounds like Coheed & Cambria (nothing wrong with that but I was hoping for more of 3's unique awesomeness). Also, I was disappointed that the weird extended fingerstyle/slap acoustic thing that the singer did live wasn't on the album.

I read something about a Wintersun/Deicide/Vader tour somewhere...can anyone verify this?
Oh please god let this happen.

Haven't mentioned how awesome The Ocean/Cynic/Opeth were at Shepherds Bush, London last week. Saw half the Ocean's set, they seem a bit BTBAM, but the last song was heavy as fuck and got me going.

Cynic were flawless and Masvidal's non robotic vocals from Traced in Air come across brilliantly live. Sean Reinhart kicked fucking arse during the set - sound quality was brilliant where I was standing which was nice.

Then Opeth - fook me. 3rd time I've seen them this year but they completely blew me away this time. Finally got to see Deliverance live, and The Lotus Eater was excellent, especiallly the funk wig out in the middle (it went straight into Bleak at the end which was a great transition) Standout for me was Godhead's Lament though. Absolutely incredable live.

Setlist:
Heir Apparent
The Grand Conjuration (actually came off great live, with the wierd video backdrop they had playing the whole time)
Godhead's Lament
The Lotus Eater
Bleak
Hope Leaves
Deliverance
Demon of the Fall
The Drapery Falls

Best thing was that before the gig I bumped into Mike Akerfeldt and Per Wiberg and managed to grab a photo. Thats one thing off my things to do before I die list. :headbang:

Norwegian masters of progressive/experimental metal ENSLAVED have released the following statement:

"It is with great regret that ENSLAVED has to announce the cancellation of the North American 'Vertebrae' tour [with SWALLOW THE SUN and KEEP OF KALESSIN] scheduled for May 2009. At the heart of the issue lies a tour that was hard to get together in the first place so we've decided to let the whole tour be cancelled and start working on setting up a new North American tour all the way from scratch again. . . Our sincere apologies to all the fans that were ready to come out to these shows; but rest assured — we are working day and night on setting up the new tour that will replace these dates."

SUCKS

Haven't mentioned how awesome The Ocean/Cynic/Opeth were at Shepherds Bush, London last week. Saw half the Ocean's set, they seem a bit BTBAM, but the last song was heavy as fuck and got me going.

Cynic were flawless and Masvidal's non robotic vocals from Traced in Air come across brilliantly live. Sean Reinhart kicked fucking arse during the set - sound quality was brilliant where I was standing which was nice.

Then Opeth - fook me. 3rd time I've seen them this year but they completely blew me away this time. Finally got to see Deliverance live, and The Lotus Eater was excellent, especiallly the funk wig out in the middle (it went straight into Bleak at the end which was a great transition) Standout for me was Godhead's Lament though. Absolutely incredable live.

Setlist:
Heir Apparent
The Grand Conjuration (actually came off great live, with the wierd video backdrop they had playing the whole time)
Godhead's Lament
The Lotus Eater
Bleak
Hope Leaves
Deliverance
Demon of the Fall
The Drapery Falls

Best thing was that before the gig I bumped into Mike Akerfeldt and Per Wiberg and managed to grab a photo. Thats one thing off my things to do before I die list. :headbang:

You're fucking shitting me. They played Godhead's Lament? THEY SAID THEY'D NEVER PLAY THAT LIVE!>!0iagojagojag
WTF

Norwegian masters of progressive/experimental metal ENSLAVED have released the following statement:

"It is with great regret that ENSLAVED has to announce the cancellation of the North American 'Vertebrae' tour [with SWALLOW THE SUN and KEEP OF KALESSIN] scheduled for May 2009. At the heart of the issue lies a tour that was hard to get together in the first place so we've decided to let the whole tour be cancelled and start working on setting up a new North American tour all the way from scratch again. . . Our sincere apologies to all the fans that were ready to come out to these shows; but rest assured — we are working day and night on setting up the new tour that will replace these dates."

SUCKS
FUCK! this blows, and i was planning on meeting up with Mathias and possibly Krig for this one. Maybe they will announce an even better tour in the near future who knows.

I guarantee that calls off MDF for them. The tour might still be on, you never know. I'd brace yourselves for more cancellations...it ALWAYS happens!