The concerts thread

Helloween and Stratovarius Friday night were awesome. First time seeing either of them live. Stratovarius had rather disappointing stage presence/chemistry and Timo's voice was borked, but Helloween were awesomer than I thought they could possibly be. There was a lot of awkward chuckling due to language barrier between the band and the audience (probably 20 out of 1,000 concertgoers understood English well enough to get Andi's jokes) but it was Dani's birthday and all these ridiculous gothic lolita fangirls made him a birthday banner.

I knew this was coming because Hez gave me a spoiler setlist from when they were in London, but I was rather sad they didn't play "The Saints."

Helloween and Stratovarius Friday night were awesome. First time seeing either of them live. Stratovarius had rather disappointing stage presence/chemistry and Timo's voice was borked, but Helloween were awesomer than I thought they could possibly be. There was a lot of awkward chuckling due to language barrier between the band and the audience (probably 20 out of 1,000 concertgoers understood English well enough to get Andi's jokes) but it was Dani's birthday and all these ridiculous gothic lolita fangirls made him a birthday banner.

I knew this was coming because Hez gave me a spoiler setlist from when they were in London, but I was rather sad they didn't play "The Saints."

Timo had a problem with his voice when I saw them in Sofia (Bulgaria) as well. The concert was more instrumental and let the public sing, so it wasn't that great.

Helloween were really cool, though there were some songs like 'March of Time' that didn't sound as good with Deris' voice. The medley was cool, they even did a refrain from the song 'Music'.

Katatonia played an amazing gig last night. Venue was packed (small place), got me a nice T-shirt of the tour. For those curious, the setlist was the following:

1 - Day and then the Shade
2 - Liberation
3 - My Twin
4 - Onward into...
5 - Longest Year
6 - Soil's Song
7 - Omerta
8 - Teargas
9 - Saw you drown
10 - Idle Blood
11 - Ghost of the Sun
12 - Evidence
13 - Criminals
14 - July

Encore
15 - For My Demons
16 - Forsaker
17 - Leaders

Some people were already leaving the venue when they return to the stage, Jonas and Anders tell the crowd they're damn happy to finally play in Brazil and announce a couple "surprise" old songs...
18 - Without God
19 - Murder

:worship:

Timo had a problem with his voice when I saw them in Sofia (Bulgaria) as well. The concert was more instrumental and let the public sing, so it wasn't that great.

Helloween were really cool, though there were some songs like 'March of Time' that didn't sound as good with Deris' voice. The medley was cool, they even did a refrain from the song 'Music'.

Public singalongs really, really don't work with Japanese people, especially because only a few people there were familiar enough with Stratovarius to know the songs.

The medley was pretty awesome, yeah! I enjoyed the cheesy ballad "Forever One" because the English lyrics were so terrible and corny and I was one of the only people there who could tell. Andi was just so tongue in cheek and good natured about it.

I really want to see beloved bands play shows in Europe and Brazil. For some reason I imagine the crowds would be much cooler than USA or Japan.

@ krampus - I haven't been to any concerts outside Europe, but you'll always get the craziest people at big festivals. Sometimes too crazy.

Oh, the interesting thing in Bulgaria: some people were offering free vodka drinks in a can (you know, product sampling), instead of cola or energy drinks...

Speaking of US and Brazil/South American coutries, I have the impression that people are a bit more enthusiastic when going to a concert. Unless they live in a big city, people don't see metal bands play as often as in most European countries.

I'm going to the Primus & Melvins sideshow on Thurs as well :kickass:

Apparently Tom is well enough to play Melbs also :kickass:

@ krampus - I haven't been to any concerts outside Europe, but you'll always get the craziest people at big festivals. Sometimes too crazy.

Oh, the interesting thing in Bulgaria: some people were offering free vodka drinks in a can (you know, product sampling), instead of cola or energy drinks...

Speaking of US and Brazil/South American coutries, I have the impression that people are a bit more enthusiastic when going to a concert. Unless they live in a big city, people don't see metal bands play as often as in most European countries.

Yeah, festivals I imagine are a whole unique experience that might piss off some people. I think about Wacken and I think about a bunch of retards from Australia or something running around in Viking helmets.

I picture Brazil as metal paradise where everyone is as passionate about the music as Bitencourt29! :D The U.S. concerts scene really depends on location. Unfortunately where I am from hardcore and metalcore is a lot more popular than power/black/prog/heavy metal, and concerts are always full of people doing "hardcore dancing." I've gotten kicked in the face a bunch of times. :(

I picture Brazil as metal paradise where everyone is as passionate about the music as Bitencourt29! :D The U.S. concerts scene really depends on location.

I wouldn't say Brazil is a metal paradise as a whole but Sao Paulo and a few other big cities could be considered something close to that, really. Metalheads are extremely passionate down here and they'd do anything possible to receive bands the best possible way and turn the events/gigs into real parties. Even Black Metal shows :lol:

I watched Ensiferum live in Montreal @ the Metropolis last week. It was awesome. Finntroll were headlining the show but I was like that fuck that...Ensiferum ftw!

Saw Watain last year, I think they sound better live than on their albums. :) They also have all these props, like an altar and you will see a lot of raw meat.

The only unfortunate thing about the decorum is that it will smell pretty badly if you're close to the stage. I honestly thought that the opening bands didn't shower much, the meat was coverered with a black cloak in the back, and didn't see it until Watain started playing. :lol:

Haha, yeah I've heard that.

Still hoping to get near the stage though, I can put up with the smell of rotting flesh :lol:

ObscureInfinity?!

:lol:

I just think, that it RUINS the atmosphere of a black metal ritual, if the crowd is full of metalfags dong moshpit or other OMGOMGOMGMETAL&BEERHEADBANGMOSHPITOMG-shit. That's why I don't go to metal gigs (other than black metal), even if I like a band, because I hate stereotpical "metalheads".

Haha, yeah I've heard that.

Still hoping to get near the stage though, I can put up with the smell of rotting flesh :lol:

It's actually rotten blood, that smells on Watain gigs. It was quite awful at first, but you don't even notice it anymore once the show starts. Watain is the best live-band I've ever seen.

Rotten blood? Sounds campy as hell but I can't say I'm a big Watain fan either.

I guess it depends on the black metal. I haven't been to a lot of BM live shows because they never come to where I am. :( A lot of the BM I like is "srs business" one-man or rarely-live acts which is a bit unfortunate.

I'm a fan of the "dumbass Neanderthal headbanger" atmosphere from time to time, but as I get older I have lower and lower tolerance for horns-happy moshers.

Saw Swans last night. It was amazing. One of the heaviest shows I've seen- an extremely full sound, like giant waves of crashing one after another. Its awesome to see a bunch of 50 year olds put such an intense and demanding performance.

Here are some photos from the Negura Bunget concert in Bucharest last night:

img6585vn.jpg

img6600.jpg

The big drum was used for playing 'Norilor'. Also, everything you hear on their albums, they can deliver live. So I recommend seeing them if you have the occasion.

img6637n.jpg

As usual, the instruments are everything but the kitchen sink - you'll see flutes, panpipes, horns, bells, xylophones. Tried to capture the infamous plank (called 'toacă') hit by hammers... You haven't lived enough until you've heard a solo from that thing.
img6641.jpg

They did a good show, although the sound was bad at some parts. The playlist also had a lot of my favorite songs like: Hora Soarelui, Cunoasterea Tacuta, Inarborat, Dacia Hiperboreana. Also did some of their atmospheric/ambient songs like Pamant and Norilor and a new song. They finished with Arborele Lumii.

Death Angel on 16 march is next...