The Cooking Thread

Baked feta with roasted garlic and olives

CJsFood1-10-09006.jpg

today

made sauce bechamel (butter, flour, white wine, nutmeg, pepper, salt, a little bit of lemon, cream) and fried some sliced aubergine

DSC01639.JPG

made ragout from minced meat, thyme, pepper, basil, onions and garlic

DSC01641.JPG

made layers with ragout, aubergines, pasta plates ... then added sliced hard boiled egg on the top, poured the bechamel over the whole thing and spread cheese over it

DSC01642.JPG

25 minutes, 170°C:

DSC01645.JPG

served with:

DSC01644.JPG

Yesterday:

DSC01634.JPG

DSC01637.JPG

The tomato 'things' looks like sliced tomatoes, sliced mozzarella, basil, with balsamico and olive oil. It's a very typical Italian antipasto.

And it's fucking good.

If mozzarella isn't a ball submerged in water constantly before you prepare it, then it's not mozzarella; it's plastic strips of bleached fake cheddar cheese. Sadly, this is what most people buy in the supermarket in the US.

The tomato 'things' looks like sliced tomatoes, sliced mozzarella, basil, with balsamico and olive oil. It's a very typical Italian antipasto.

And it's fucking good.

If mozzarella isn't a ball submerged in water constantly before you prepare it, then it's not mozzarella; it's plastic strips of bleached fake cheddar cheese. Sadly, this is what most people buy in the supermarket in the US.

quote for truth

The tomato, mozz and basil thing is called a Caprese.

Insalata Caprese (pronounced kah-prezz-eh..I hate when people say 'capreese', like the car) is typically with the small rounded tomatoes, though it's also made like the above.

It's so fucking good, too. I prefer the small pomodorini instead of sliced tomatoes, though it's all good just the same.

It's called Caprese because it's a typical dish from Capri, and the Caprese people cook so well it's ridiculous. You'll see olives thrown in there sometimes as well.

But, tomatoes are groady. :erk: I do love the shit out of mozzarella, and would probably pick the tomato off of it with no problem. Also, bring on the fresh basil. :)

Edit: sun dried tomatoes I can eat the shit out of though.

This is my brunch today. We had all this sausage of sorted flavors that was going to go bad if not used this week, so I just fried it up. A mix of Garlic sausages, Mulligan, and Linguisa.
DSCN0397.jpg

I also made my lunch for work for tomorrow and the next day (I always make two days at a time). There's also lettuce, mustard, and miracle whip, but I add those when I eat it so as not to get the bread all soggy.
DSCN0398.jpg

so made this last night with friends:

kochen_01.JPG

1.5 kg of beef filet

kochen_02.JPG

early stage of the port wine sauce

kochen_03.JPG

Carpaccio as first course

kochen_04.JPG

broccoli-cream-soup as second course (was good but not really special i guess)

kochen_05.JPG

eod. about 300 gram steak with oven potatoes (with rosemary, garlic, oil), haricots and bacon and the fucking amazing port sauce.

kochen_06.JPG

eod eod eod

kochen_07.JPG

cream cheese with truffle <3

kochen_08.JPG

the port (wasn't that special but seriously we can't afford to buy expensive port for cooking)

kochen_09.JPG

the wine ... could have been better but was def. ok.... got smashed after dinner and stopped drinking like 7am ...