The CURRENTLY LISTENING TO thread

1290775983891metalinquisitoruncondit.jpg

10650.jpg

1121.jpg

I was expecting to like this one much more. Maybe it has to grow on me though. It isn't bad, it just doesn't seem to be as great as people are making it out to be.

sinbreed+cover+artwork.jpg

My sentiments exactly. It's a solid release for sure but like you I don't quite get all the hype on this board.

didnt know you were a fan of The Chasm? you missed them at the Reggies show over the summer. Amazing stuff.

You know I'm not a fan of death metal, Bob. :p But yes, I do know who The Chasm are, and am somewhat familiar with their sound. The doom album is pretty nice. Melodic doom, similar to While Heaven Wept, but more doom-y. So if you're expecting The Chasm but as a doom band, you're not going to get that.

You know I'm not a fan of death metal, Bob. :p But yes, I do know who The Chasm are, and am somewhat familiar with their sound. The doom album is pretty nice. Melodic doom, similar to While Heaven Wept, but more doom-y. So if you're expecting The Chasm but as a doom band, you're not going to get that.

I dont count While Heaven Wept a doom band. They are more of an epic metal band. Kind of like Atlantean Kodex. There are doomish elements but not full on doom. If you like WHW check out AK.....very good stuff.

Agreed with Bob.
While Heaven Wept are not a COTD band at all.
They do have doomish parts though, certainly.

I will keep my eye out for this.
I have never heard of em to be quite honest.

Joan - are you getting more into doom now? I have plenty to recommend if you would like :)

Joan - are you getting more into doom now? I have plenty to recommend if you would like :)

Yes please. I enjoy Candlemass and have been meaning to pick up a few albums for some time now. Early WHW is quite doomy, and yes, I do enjoy that. I have a couple early Black Sabbath albums that I spin from time to time.

I had one Isole album, but the vocals were too one-dimensional for my taste, though I do loves me some Baritones.

So any melodic doom will probably win me over. I don't mind some growls, but they shouldn't be the vocal focus.

Jason - Question of Madness is playing March 11th and Reggie's. I may or may not be there, depending on whether or not I can get the time off of work.

I just wrote this up for AngraRULES.
Lee (Pate) is more in the know about some newer bands as well.

For your basic Sabbath influenced doom metal, TROUBLE, SAINT VITUS, and PENTAGRAM are a must!

I recommend the following:
TROUBLE - PSALM 9
TROUBLE - THE SKULL
SAINT VITUS - BORN TOO LATE
PENTAGRAM - FIRST DAZE HERE collections from RELAPSE

Then you have the bands which mix both doom and trad / NWOBHM. Two key players in this area are WITCHFINDER GENERAL and PAGAN ALTAR. Pick up anything you are lucky enough to find.

For more current bands, some of my favorites are GATES OF SLUMBER, REVEREND BIZARRE, SPIRITUS MORTIS, and HOUR OF 13.
Some recommended spins:
GATES OF SLUMBER - CONQUEROR
GATES OF SLUMBER - HYMNS OF BLOOD AND THUNDER
REV BIZARRE - CRUSH THE INSECTS
SPIRITUS MORTIS - FALLEN
HOUR OF 13 - S/T

Finally, there are a lot of psychedelic doom bands. Some key players here are CATHEDRAL, ELECTRIC WIZARD, and everyone's fav new band GHOST.
CATHEDRAL - CARAVAN BEYOND REDEMPTION
CATHEDRAL - THE ETHEREAL MIRROR
ELECTRIC WIZARD - WITCHCULT TODAY
ELECTRIC WIZARD - COME MY FANATICS
GHOST - OPUS EPONYMOUS

Then you have the bands which mix both doom and trad / NWOBHM. Two key players in this area are WITCHFINDER GENERAL and PAGAN ALTAR. Pick up anything you are lucky enough to find.

Witchfinder General is awesome, and actually if you go to Amazon, their stuff is pretty easy to find. I think regular is like $12 for each of their two classic albums and cheaper if you decide to go used.

For the more epic style:

Solitude Aeturnus
Solstice
Forsaken
Doomshine
Scald
Altar of Oblivion
Sorcerer

Yep, esp considering Joan mentioned While Heaven Wept, I made an epic fail in not mentioning Solstice. Actually, DoomSword I think is a must for Candlemass fans as well. I had simply copied and pasted a message I left for AngraRULES on this same subject, so I know I missed a lot.

Witchfinder General is awesome, and actually if you go to Amazon, their stuff is pretty easy to find. I think regular is like $12 for each of their two classic albums and cheaper if you decide to go used.

Cool!!! I am sure their stuff has probably been reissued.
When I was first getting into Witchfinder General a few years ago, the only reasonably priced disc of theirs is their crappy sounding live disc.

I actually downloaded their full lengths from eMusic a couple years back, because at the time, their discs were going for $19.99 and beyond, and Bob will tell you what a cheap bastard I am!

Thanks guys. Would you mind PMing me your choices, as well? Much appreciated!

Also listening to (not Doom :D):

helloween7cover.jpg

I didn't think they could top Gambling With the Devil. I was wrong.

326Therion-sitra-ahra2010.jpg

This album is very odd, IMO. I also hesitate to call it a metal album. I don't like it as much as Gothic Kabbalah, or Lemuria/Sirius B, but it's good. I guess I'd call it more of a rock opera than a metal album.

I just wrote this up for AngraRULES.
Lee (Pate) is more in the know about some newer bands as well.

For your basic Sabbath influenced doom metal, TROUBLE, SAINT VITUS, and PENTAGRAM are a must!

TROUBLE - PSALM 9
TROUBLE - THE SKULL
SAINT VITUS - BORN TOO LATE
PENTAGRAM - FIRST DAZE HERE collections from RELAPSE

For more current bands, some of my favorites are GATES OF SLUMBER, REVEREND BIZARRE, SPIRITUS MORTIS, and HOUR OF 13.
Some recommended spins:
GATES OF SLUMBER - CONQUEROR
GATES OF SLUMBER - HYMNS OF BLOOD AND THUNDER
REV BIZARRE - CRUSH THE INSECTS
SPIRITUS MORTIS - FALLEN
HOUR OF 13 - S/T

Finally, there are a lot of psychedelic doom bands. Some key players here are CATHEDRAL, ELECTRIC WIZARD, and everyone's fav new band GHOST.
CATHEDRAL - CARAVAN BEYOND REDEMPTION
CATHEDRAL - THE ETHEREAL MIRROR
ELECTRIC WIZARD - WITCHCULT TODAY
ELECTRIC WIZARD - COME MY FANATICS
GHOST - OPUS EPONYMOUS

what? no Acid Witch?

actually Jason the Witchfinder General stuff has been available for many years at a good price...you just were not looking in the right places.

what? no Acid Witch?

actually Jason the Witchfinder General stuff has been available for many years at a good price...you just were not looking in the right places.

I am not familiar with ACID WITCH.
There are many doom bands I don't listen to.
Just too many bands.

How would you know how much a WG disc went for when I was first getting into doom, around 2005? You certainly weren't seeking out WG then. They were always $19.99 at Haven. They were even more at places like Tower or Reckless. I am sure they have been reissued since then. I stopped paying attention once I downloaded them.

326Therion-sitra-ahra2010.jpg

This album is very odd, IMO. I also hesitate to call it a metal album. I don't like it as much as Gothic Kabbalah, or Lemuria/Sirius B, but it's good. I guess I'd call it more of a rock opera than a metal album.

I like it quite a bit actually. No, it isn't as good as the ones you mentioned but what is? This one, though unlike the aforementioned albums I find to be a real grower. The first time I listened to it, I was disappointed, but by the third time I really enjoyed it. One of my faves of this past year.