the "what are you currently listening to" thread

I've always been a moderate Ayreon fan, but a few months ago I discovered Star One (also by Arjen Anthony Lucassen). The album Space Metal is bowling me over (I hear that Victims of the Modern Age is also good, but I'm just getting to know it now). The vocalists are Russell Allen, Damian Wilson, Dan Swanö and Floor Jansen and each song is about a different sci-fi show or movie.

My favorite song from Space Metal is Intergalactic Space Crusaders, about the late 70s BBC series Blake's 7. What I really like is the mixture of Allen's and Wilson's vocals here. Although I'm a Threshold fan, Wilson's vocals are my least favorite part of the band. But I like his voice much better here contrasted against Allen's:

Last edited:
Still listening to all of Theocracy's releases on continuous random pretty much all of the time. It is a great phase to be going through. :rofl::D

Reactions: Aish!
I've been listening to A LOT of ReinXeed lately, but mixing it up with Dvořák’s Slavonic Dances. I picked up a CD of all 16 dances at a charity shop last week and only paid the price of one track from iTunes. What a bargain!!

And today I finally listened to a sampler CD I've had for years. After a pile of crap I discovered this gem!

Last edited:
I've always been a moderate Ayreon fan, but a few months ago I discovered Star One (also by Arjen Anthony Lucassen).

Gotta agree with that I found Star One a few months ago and both albums are really worth a listen.

Listening to the new Tankard and Unleash The Archers today.

Been rocking Theocracy's label mates Diviner. Just got this CD and it ROCKS!

I'm about 18 months late to this party, but I finally picked up Diviner. Wow! If you want awesome traditional metal in the 80s American vein with Christian lyrics, pick this up. The whole album is excellent with no filler songs (IMO). My three favorites at the moment...

Fallen Empires:

Sacred War:

The Legend Goes On:

Still listening to theocracy ghost ship and and mirror of souls also listened to becoming archetype physics of fire and oh sleeper for first time. They remind of as cities burn a little bit

Album Songs of the Cat by Garrison Keillor (very funny guy) with Frederica von Stade.
Highlights: The In and Out Song - SO insightful - and Cat, You Better Come Home.

Last edited:
To celebrate the musical joke that is International Tritone Day - Aug 4th - I'm starting to upload some of my own compositions and arrangements of other people's music to SoundCloud.

GAZING AT MEDUSA: This could be the best release yet from Tourniquet! There's nothing really progressive with the longest track just 6:17, but there's not a weak song to be found, and the most powerful drumming I've ever heard from Ted Kirkpatrick!!

So I randomly saw one of the back up girls was leaving this band. Didn't think much of it, cause I heard one of their songs years ago and was like, meh. At the same time, I didn't know they were just kids/young teens. Still though. Didn't care much for it. I still won't be listening to em, but, I did randomly decide to check out another song. Was kinda blown away. Didn't expect to hear the musicians go that hard. And she's a great singer live. Wild mix of metal, pop music and pop idol n metal singing n dancing n other stuff. I can see why they're so big. Anyways, here. Intro is pretty cool, but it kicks in at bout 1:25. That was the part when I was like, "Oh dam!" lol.

Last edited:
On another note. Been listening to these dudes a lot lately. Don't understand 90% of what they're saying (they say English lyrics sometimes) but, man, this band is amazing. Cost a lot to get their CD's, being overseas n all I guess. Got a lil Matt Smith intro (Nailed, Laying the Demon to Rest) on the vocals on this one, lol.

I posted this song long ago here, but I didn't know that wasn't the full version. So I'll post it again. Friggin love the solos. Making that guitar sing a beautifully. Just bought this CD the other day. Looking forward to it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Aish!