The diet choice thread

Also, I'm really not understanding the "speciesism" argument. Who cares? It's a normal practice.

So was racism ages ago, and sexism, and stoning people to death for stupid shit, and many other things we now look down on. Saying something is normal practice is never enough reason to morally justify it. Many people say in the future we will look down on our ancestors because of how we treated life on this planet, as much as we now look down on racists and religious extremists. I can't say I disagree, but I don't go around saying that to people because it just comes off as mean, preachy and elitist, things I hate about religious people.

The "pigs are smarter than dogs" argument is a total crock - I don't chose my pets based on intelligence, and I certainly don't chose my food based on a lack thereof. Thousands of years of directed evolution have made dogs incredibly loving and loyal animals, not to mention they're cute as fuck and fun to play with. Ever tried to go for a hike with a pig? Throw it a frisbee? Have it sit on your lap while you watch tv? No - they're relatively useless aside from being eaten. That's why they still exist.

You don't choose your pets or your food based on anything at all except inculcation, the same way most people in the world "choose" their religion. You can't say it's "total crock" when someone decides to choose pets and foods out of thinking for themselves and deciding without considering whatever the hell their parents/grandparents/etc. did. I also have to second Mutant's LOL about your reaction to the pig video. They can be pets just like dogs, many people have them nowadays, they recognize people, sit and sleep with people, play and show feelings just like dogs and cats do. The reason most people have "mini-pigs" instead of the normal "farm" types are because they're way too fucking heavy.

I think I'll just close my argument by repeating myself: I decided not to eat meat or animal based products because it's my personal opinion that I do not want to participate directly or indirectly in causing harm, suffering and death to any animals, and in second priority I also favour the health benefits of a 100% plant based diet (there are many studies with discrepancies and it's clear no one is 100% positive about anything, but I feel more inclined towards this side of the argument, plus there's nothing better than trying it yourself, and that's what I've been doing for a month now) and the environmental value to it. There are no studies or theories that might suggest plants suffer (except the scientology nutjob who said tomatoes scream when they are cut, but who believes him?) so until some Nobel prize winner comes up with proof to that, it's safe to assume they don't because of all the studies suggesting so. Even if plants were proven to suffer, eating meat and supporting the meat industry indirectly kills MUCH more plants than simply eating them yourself, and you're also killing (indirectly, because a very small percentage of meat lovers will actually find it in themselves to kill an mammal; fish are definitely much more different from us and so easier to be detached from their suffering) a living being with eyes, a voice, feelings, a mom and a dad.

I guess I have to repeat once again: I do not feel superior, I'm not on a high horse, I don't go around reminding people what they're eating (although telling people they're eating chicken menstruation and mammary secretions with pus and hormones is funny, I only joke around with it with friends who know I'm joking, not preaching people with it), I love textured vegetable protein (specially the burgers I make myself with it), I fart like a troo Kvlt vegan and happy with my farts and those of my wife who finally decided to follow me into boycotting those mammary secretions. I also don't follow or support PETA at all, don't even know what they do, do not sabotage events (I might join a protest against bullfighting, but never sabotage, incite to violence or any law-breaking dumb shit some people do for their causes, only peaceful, legal, awareness-raising protest), I'm happy when I find out a famous person I admire is vegan as much as I get depressed knowing how a famous person I admire is a religious nut (Oh Dave Mustaine... I love and hate that guy SO much at the same time).

Enjoy life, folks, and eat to your heart's content!

Vegan sushi anyone? I'm sure Tofu and tempura vegetables is your favourite filling!
2012-08-15231412.jpg

Öwen;10392088 said:
Don't worry man, the guys a bit nuts but we'll all have to forgive him for his whatever missing inside his melon, he's just in a bit of a pickle cos life gave him lemons so he failed to bring home the bacon. Hell he's so bananas he's not even the apple of his mothers eye because she just likes Cox.

Nevermind though and lettuce return to the issue at hand because the sole fruit of his labors will be to construct another pear shaped argument before he continues to toss salad.

Hahahahahaha you've done it again :worship:

Yeah yeah, keep it going :)
Once i start caring about what opinion about me a group of people who admit they can't even understand what i am talking about has - i only need to click on the link in my sig to see how many of them are smart and how many of them not very much... :D

Yah man, you so smart my brains are leeking all over the floor at the thought of your cognitive ability, it drives a steak through my still beeting heart as the seeds of your discontent are sown across the barren pastures of sneap forum logic, I love everybody here man so this is too raw for me. The thing is we are only neanderthals here after all and I'm all about to cave in at the thought of thinking that I might just think about keeping up with you, the big cheese, but this is my bread and butter so I'm going to make you look like a proper prize vegetable anyway and pepper you with all the verbal culinary cultivations collectively cultivating in my mind.

So lets get ready pumpkin, take a seat, sit back and smell the roses because I've already showcased fig A and pea'd all over your disasterous diatribe descending into diabolical self aggrandizement and lets be honest, you and me we've bean here and done this before and I want to get to the root of the problem, let the real you out because I know you are a sensitive flower, so let me field this one whilst I'm blowing raspberries like you are dangleberries with more barbs than rhubarb and still raisin hell whilst giving you a migrain.

I understand you've got a bit of a case of the sour plums but I'm here to make it all better, give you a cherry on the cake if you will, I just want you to be happy and not a runner, trapped in the fog mind like a pea souper. So I hope we can come to an understanding if you're not stewing in your own juices and can keep your finger on the pulses of those around you a little better. I know that its not all been gravy for you in your life but if you don't play nice you'll be left with peanuts because at the moment nobody likes your corny old ass anyway cos it ain't got no passion. So from now on lets get this down to a tea and keep it sweet, k?

Yawn.
Trying to impress me so desperately ?
Try using well thought out, on topic arguments.
Otherwise you will just mildly amuse me with your raving emotions which i apparently successfully awoke in you.

In case you had trouble with understanding what i just wrote:
Insults = wasted ammo on me no matter how heavy or clever you may make them, because i am immune to them if they come from people i don't hold in especially high regard.

Example: "toss salad".
Come on... so low class.
Example: "nobody likes your corny old ass anyway cos it ain't got no passion".
That actually made me laugh, so good job if that was your intention :D
Oh how lonely i am with just few good friends to talk to... ;)

You don't get it do you man, I write stuff like that to keep me entertained, I don't give a shit about you, you're boring :lol:

he's not insulting you at all
Yeah rapping about me (he responded to JeffTD who was responding to me) tossing salad (yes i know the double meaning) is not trying to insult me at all :loco:

But as i said i am not insulted, so no hard feelings (i love you all). ;)

Now stop talking about the great, magnificient, untouchable, godly me and start talking about food choices ! :heh:

My latest album "Food For Fought" is grossing out in all good groceries from here on out. :D

Yeah rapping about me (he responded to JeffTD who was responding to me) tossing salad (yes i know the double meaning) is not trying to insult me at all :loco:

But as i said i am not insulted, so no hard feelings (i love you all). ;)

Now stop talking about the great, magnificient, untouchable, godly me and start talking about food choices ! :heh:

dude, seriously, tossing salad is just another funny way to make a food reference, if you see harm in that you need a shrink. Actually, I was already pretty convinced you need one anyways

Well if you insist to stay offtopic...
As i said i know the double meaning. Do you ?
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20100722014225AAqfEZL

Of course I do, what I mean is he obviously didn't mean anything towards you, he was only being clever and funny. Oh, I give up. You're smarter than all of us dude, you really are, and you laughing about how smarter you are in every single discussion you get into certainly does nothing but make us feel even stupider.

This old pyramid was used to teach what products contain all required nutrients.
These days when almost all food we can buy has a list of macro and micro nutrients, we could make a pyramid that would show it on a more basic level.
Theoretically even with our current technology we could make a 100% vegan meal replacement powder that would provide people with all essential and non essential amino acids, some carbohydrates and fats, optimal amount of vitamins and microelements and dietary fibre for smooth travel through the digestive tract.
Though it would taste like ash...

1. Morals:
a) Some people eat people.
b) Some people eat monkeys and apes.
c) Some people eat puppies and kittens.
d) Some people eat pigs and cows (pigs are more intelligent than dogs).
e) Some people eat fish and seafood.
f) Some people eat only vegetables and nonliving animal products like milk and eggs.
It is a moral scale and i guess most of you are on level "d" while i am on level "e" and few here are on level "f".

2. Taste:
a) Try to cook a piece of beef without adding any herbs and spices... it will smell like old homeless guys socks... (i know this from cooking meat for my dog)
b) Even with proper spices the taste is still not my cup of tea.

3. Health:
a) Saturated fatty acids from all animal producs (including milk and eggs) plus bad cholesterol will clog your veins and give you a heart attack.
b) In the western world most meat products are contaminated with hormones and other not exactly beneficial to human health substances the farmer will inject his livestock with.

What's the background of the morality scale?