The Drapery Falls.

Ermz

¯\(°_o)/¯
Apr 5, 2002
Melbourne, Australia
www.myspace.com
My favourite Opeth song I would have to say... I love everything from the airy melody line and off-beat bass (nice to hear a bass guitar not emphasizing root notes for once) to that change from singing to growling to that awesome solo to the sudden acoustic interludes with singing to the ending...

I basically love everything about it, what do you all say?

My favorite song on BWP definately and one of my top five favs by them. Really epitamizes everything Opeth has been, is, and will be. It is THE Opeth song in my opinion.

I love the bass on this song. Somehow it reminds me of "Zelda III: A Link to the Past" on the SNES. :confused:

I kind of skipped this one for a while, but after seeing boots of it played live a few times I began to really like it. I'm not sure why that is. I think the beginning/ending high melody sounds clearer and the.. odd time "russian" bit sounds nicer and I appreciated it more.

It probably should be one of my favourite Opeth songs... but for some reason it isn't..... :confused:

It's also not in my 'Least Favourite Opeth Songs' list either, for some reason this song really stands out from the rest of their preivous works (and other stuff off the album) not neccessarily as being 'better' just as being 'different)...It's kinda hard to explain, but I'll give it a shot....

The actual song stucture has been explained to some extent in the above posts, but I'd like to sum it up in a single word:

'EPIC'

This is the reason that this song 'stands out' (For want of a better word) from the rest of the tracks on BWP. The only problem I have is that, while I like the obviously 'epic' qualities of this song (which have popped up in past Opeth releases) it feels like the band 'dumbed down' all the other songs on the album to achive this The song in itself is so obviously 'epic' that it stands out in stark contrast to the rest of the album (and remember that this doesn't neccessarily mean 'better' just 'different')

I actually find this contrast to be a little jarring and for me it seems to distupt the continuity of the album...

I still think that in an of itself this is a great song, but unlike past Opeth albums I have trouble picking my 'favourite' or 'standout' tracks (usually 2-3 per album). I originally thought that this was 'cos the BWP songs were all equally brilliant, but thinking back I know that the songs that aren't in my favourite 2-3 for each album all have their own individual qualities making them nearly as good as my faves.....

I suppose I just went the extremely long way around of saying that while I like 'The Drapery Falls', to me it seems to ruin the continuity of BWP and in turn lessens the affect that the other songs on the album have on me.......

Hmm Spike I hear what you're saying and you're right, they seemingly did make it the kind of stand out 'epic' track that you would more or less expect at the end of an album?? :confused:

Listening to the whole album, The Drapery Falls seems to overshadow the other songs... not as in brilliance-wise but just with song structure that really does seem to be 'epic'.

Well.. it's the standout track so it's only natural that it be most fans' fave on the album :)

P.S. no disrespect to other tracks. Blackwater Park was the track that single handedly got me into Opeth and it's the best riffeage fest I've yet to hear, Bleak was just down right cool, Harvest is a cool break in the action, Patterns In The Ivy is the first song I learned on guitar.... etc. etc.