The "Education" Thread

:lol:

so I've never been one for conferences or publishing articles. I've always viewed them as forms of public masturbation (this coming from somebody who was the editor for two years of a peer reviewed journal). However, yesterday I did see two calls for papers that are right in my wheelhouses. One is in regards to authority and discourse, which is basically what my master's thesis was about, and the other was for some pedagogy journal published out of CSU Fullerton. Guess it's time to type up some abstracts

So I forgot that this big ass workbook we had to work on in my AIS class was a group project, and turned in my own submission a few hours before class. My professor reminded me when I got to class, so my other decent group member and I printed out our personal copies and compared logic.

We both made errors on our originals and corrected em for each other, calibrated with the group and turned it in a week early. It's gonna be a good semester, methinks.

:lol:

so I've never been one for conferences or publishing articles. I've always viewed them as forms of public masturbation

Then I say "Publicly masturbate or perish!"

I've done a handful of graduate student conferences so far to help build my confidence as an academic and get feedback on my ideas and how I present them. My next step is to get into more professional conferences like APA and CAMWS, where full professors show off their work as well as PhD. students.

I'm also working on what I hope to be my first publication, which is an expansion of a seminar paper I wrote last semester.

One could think it is vanity, but in my field you do everything you humanly can to get recognized.

yeah I can definitely see that with Classical Studies...especially with the dearth of jobs in that field. I feel like with English studies it's a lot of wanking. I read journals like College Composition & Communication, College English, PMLA, and others. The only ones who have really struck my fancy are Philosophy & Rhetoric and JAC

Dude, even the neuroscientists don't agree on what their findings mean. There's nothing normative about it; all they agree on is that it paints a really fucking weird picture of the subject.

So not to cut into your liberal arts talk or anything, but does anyone else use Evernote? I have some professors who will rattle important information off at the speed of light and it's way convenient to just have a recording while I'm typing out my notes.

I don't use it, although Dak has sent me more than a few invites to use it... :cool:

I don't have much use for it since I'm not sitting in on massive lectures or even classes with more than twenty students. My seminars are capped at fifteen, and usually they're smaller than that. Class environment revolves around discussion, not around the professor lecturing.

I know you're being sarcastic, but in all honesty I really prefer discussion settings to massive lecture halls. I find that I learn better when I'm forced to explain myself, not only to the professor but especially to my peers.

Do others prefer lectures to discussion sections?

Discussion-based learning is always the best, except when you're on the teaching end of it and your students are dumbass freshmen who don't give two shits about the course content. I'd much rather be put in a lecture hall in front of 300 people every day to pontificate on something rather than do any sort of maieutics. Childbirth is messy.

Discussion-based learning is always the best, except when you're on the teaching end of it and your students are dumbass freshmen who don't give two shits about the course content.

yup. This is why I usually prefer Spring semester. I typically have fewer fresh-out-of-highschool students with zero opinions and more adult students. I would gladly teach a class entirely comprised of students over the age of 30

I'd rather be in a room of those with zero opinions than those just regurgitating the latest MTV public message, or what they read in the hallway.

Discussion-based learning is always the best, except when you're on the teaching end of it and your students are dumbass freshmen who don't give two shits about the course content. I'd much rather be put in a lecture hall in front of 300 people every day to pontificate on something rather than do any sort of maieutics. Childbirth is messy.

If they don't care then that's largely on you as the teacher. You've gotta do a better job of connecting the content to their lives and making it relevant. Ask yourself: Why do you believe it is important for your students to know this material especially considering 95%+ of them will not not make a career out of this? What are the enduring understandings you want them to leave the class with? How can you show them how those ideas are relevant to their lives?

If I remember correctly you're doing the classics, which have a ton of great themes that are relevant today. However, if you're students don't see that relevance then they don't really have a reason to care, unless they already have an intrinsic interest.

Just my pedagogical 25 cents.

I get the question all the damn time, why is math relevant to real life? And I give a different example every time. Because, jesus, math can be applied to everything. Almost anything can be quantified and calculated.

IRT above: I prefer lecture. I don't want their input or opinions. Then again, as a math professor, they are generally wrong opinions.

I'm pretty open minded though. I show different paths to the correct outcome if they ask if another way would work.