The ENSLAVED thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
evildave said:
IMO, the vocals in Enslaved are laughable and the music is nothing interesting enough to overcome that. There are tons of "evil" sounding bands around that have vocals like this (someone torturing a domestic cat) and it has no power or impact at all, imo. Just sounds shit.

I only have This Godless Endevour by Nevermore but that is excellent. Warrell is a bit like a gruff Halford... but he has a unique and powerful sound that I love now I've gotten used to it.

When I listen to Enslaved somehow "evil" isn't exactly what I see them going for. The vocals are harsh, yes. I see Viking longboats when I listen to Enslaved, not Satan..lol.

Yes, they are very much into Odin, Frøya and Thor. I have seen some interviews were the guys speak of old norse mythologies which they weave into the music and lyrics to sort of ressurect. The album Monumension is a very good example. Beside as mentioned they reject any sort of Satan being in their music, 'cos as quoating Ivar of Enslaved: "We're not black metal, but extreme metal. There is a difference." I remember reading this when they were interveiwed about alots of things in a Norwegian newspaper a couple of months ago.

NineFeetUnderground said:
enslaved are one of the few truly important metal bands left these days.

For the first time EVER, I think I will agree with you.

On a sidenote: the annoyance of many people I've seen in the past labelling Enslaved as "rock with harsh vocals" is a pathetic admission of not being able to understand their music.

Some people seem think that technical & chugging riffs ability = good music (or metal music for that matter) which is totally wrong.

Enslaved have imo never released a bad album or EP: each of their works is a fabulous monument to the subtle genius of Ivar's aural vision combined with Grutles knowledge & passion of Norse culture & mythology.

Enslaved are truly unique, and as many reviews over the years have stated, they stay true to their roots while moving forward at the same time.

Despite their changes over the years, I still view Enslaved as a 100% Black Metal band. Their philosophy, musically and artistically is still there, and traces of their older style is still there too.

Bands who can develop the right attitude like Enslaved are the bands who can truly raise the bar and help carry the metal flag forward.

Listening to Eld right now actually. I think they've moved comfortably into the #2 metal spot behind Opeth.

Ruun is growing on me by the day. Still hasn't surpassed Below the Lights imo, but it is a great CD.

Jon Snow said:
Listening to Eld right now actually. I think they've moved comfortably into the #2 metal spot behind Opeth.

Number one for me, and has been for some time.

However, you cant compare the two. Their approaches and style are completely different.

Their first album, Vikingligr Veldi. Fucking incredible atmosphere.. Some of the most beautiful and melancholic black metal ever.. Absolutely amazing band!

I must say that Enslaved has moved to #2 for me as well concerning bands currently making extreme metal. Ruun is the most special CD I have heard in a very long time. Really wicked atmospheres and an immense growth capability.

At least I saw an Immortal beach party gig. Ha!
You can see how they arrived in my sig.
They couldn't even afford a real longboat. How grim is that?!

Status
Not open for further replies.