The ENSLAVED thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Benighted1 said:
I got Ruun last night and loved it straight away. Funny you should say that about them been the black metal equivilent to Opeth coz thats exactly what I said to my mate upon first hearing them...

if i had to pick 2 metal bands only...to represent creativity still surviving in metal, enslaved and opeth would be my top choices.

NineFeetUnderground said:
if i had to pick 2 metal bands only...to represent creativity still surviving in metal, enslaved and opeth would be my top choices.

yea from what I've heard so far I am tending to agree with you. Cant wait to get home from work and crank ISA up too, havent gave that one a proper listen yet!!!

There are more which can be added into that list such as Negura Bunget among others.

As far as Enslaved being the Opeth equivalent of Black Metal, I have to strongly disagree - the approaches, and also trajectories of both bands are so different they simply cannot be compared.

They are both far too different from one another.

The Hubster said:
There are more which can be added into that list such as Negura Bunget among others.

As far as Enslaved being the Opeth equivalent of Black Metal, I have to strongly disagree - the approaches, and also trajectories of both bands are so different they simply cannot be compared.

They are both far too different from one another.

right. lets go down the list shall we?

A. both are extreme metal bands and/or were rooted in such as their foundation.
B. both have obvious affinities for progressive rock and psychedelia & incorporate it
C. both have long songs with unconventional structures
D. both toggle between harsh vocals and atmospheres to calm and mellow
E. both continue to progress and improve their abilities on every album
F. both continue to write ONLY what pleases them regardless of trends
G. both bands have similar trajectories and approaches regardless what you say.

B. both have obvious affinities for progressive rock and psychedelia & incorporate it

A. Opeth was borderline Gothemburg when they started. Hardly what I would term "extreme metal" as opposed to Iron Maiden being played fast with harsh vocals. Mike stated himself in countless interviews that the rise of Gothemburg steered the early style into what it is now.

Enslaved on the other hand was rooted in Black Metal, but psychologically and topically on Viking lore. Definitely extreme and also given the black metal psychology influence on their work. Death metal extremism holds little in comparison imo and does not celebrate ethnic lore (a form of extreme expression itself).

Your point is null.

B. Opeth have no affinity of psychedelia in their music (the closest they came was the second half of "Closure") Progressive? Yes and plenty of it, few do it better. For progressive metal music, Opeth are way ahead.

Enslaved have been on the psychedelia trip since Vikingligr Veldi (inspect usage of repetition & mixing on this album). For psychedelic Metal, Enslaved are ahead.

Both bands have a progressive influence, but from totally different strains of the progressive rock world, and also executed very differently. If you cant hear this, you cant hear the difference between Madonna and Bruce Dickinson.

Now, listen to some Hawkwind and Hendrix, and tell me you hear this influence plastered all over Opeth's music. Now go and listen to Blodhemn and Mardraum, Isa and Ruun, and do the same. The evidence is as audible as a police siren.

psy·che·del·ic ( P ) Pronunciation Key (sk-dlk)
adj.
Of, characterized by, or generating hallucinations, distortions of perception, altered states of awareness, and occasionally states resembling psychosis.

C. And they both have long hair. Whats your point? Perhaps we should add Motorhead into this because Lemmy has a moustache and Akerfeldt does too? Your example is too generic. Be more specific.

D. So do Emperor, Borknagar, Vintersorg, Peccatum, Bathory, Deathspell Omega (lesser extent, see Kenose), Agalloch and Ulver among others. Maybe we should include them into this topic too? Again, your example is too generic. Be more specific.

E. So will any band with a brain. Totally void point. In a landscape of bands where they form to create image as opposed to musical honesty & longevity, this is only a logical path that the real bands would do anything but their own thing (eg, Iron Maiden, Motorhead, Negura Bunget, Bathory, Agalloch). Eventually they shed most influences and continue to expand on "their vision".

F. Again, irrelevant. Any band with intelligence will do the same. See above. Both points are essentially the same.

G. Prove it, on what grounds? Your answer only proves that you know little of the Enslaved trajectory and approach. Your answer is in short, a cheating tactic to hide that you have nothing to say on this point. I want proof.

Your conceptions of music, while often well presented, can sometimes be horribly off-centre. Your problem is that you have a hard time accepting this and any criticism, coupled with the fact that many other people in this world take music seriously too and have a passion and knowledge for it equal to or beyond your own.

Now bend over, or post REAL and detailed examples and I will consider them: I'm sick of your boring repetitive posts, now prove yourself... PROPERLY.

OpethNZ said:
i dont know which elitist i dislike more, child star or star child

Well there's a big difference dude, I can be friendly instead of morbid 100% of the time! (And Im an Aussie :p)

Pethical said:
shit, i don't know which team to root for! hahaha

KICK IT TO ME, KICK IT TO ME!

howardjohn3.jpg

holy shit, hubster might be the most literal person i've ever seen. horribly wrong too. lmao @ telling nfu to go listen to psychadelia and learn about it :erk:

i deleted my initial response here, as i realized this is just going to go round in circles. its obvious that you seem to have a strong opinion on this topic, and thats fine, so do i. my basic point is that enslaved is the closest thing to Opeth that black metal has these days. NOT that they are carbon copy clones that parallel eachother in every avenue...which seems to be your main issue youre trying to argue here. lets just agree to disagree, because i frankly dont want to spend the time reading page long rants about how enslaved listens to more hawkwind than opeth or executes one style better than another. thats getting far too literal for any sort of necessary conversation regarding this. theres room for both of us here, and if this is because you want to share the spotlight, then that wont bother me at all. but i urge you to save your breathe next time, for i have nothing to prove here to anyone, and it seems you cant wait to do just that for yourself.

p.s. if you really want to go toe to toe in a progressive/psychedelia battle...i would be happy to oblige.;)

Whilst on the surface this is about music, the underlying point I have is as follows.

When someone has an opinion different to yours, you need to learn to NOT put them down because you never know what their background and knowledge is in comparison to your own (although, yes, sometimes its obvious a person knows little, or does know something).

No matter the topic, people need to learn from one another, and this includes you. I dont care for "spotlights", personally, I prefer to just give someone some info if they want to know about something once in a while, and vice versa, as I've learned many things from some people here over the years. Nothing is better than when someone loves something that you love, and appreciates it in a similar manner to what you do. Its rewarding.

Thats my underlying point - be a bit more humble, its your path to enlightenment as it is for many :)

Peace.

it just struck me as odd, for you and i had never interacted before...let alone had an argument, so it rather struck me as odd to see you get so uptight about me making a statement as broad and harmless as "enslaved are the opeth of black metal". either way, it wasnt a flashy or egotistical statement so for a lesson of humbleness...it seemed a bit frantic. regardless...were cool, alright?

Haha I love you sometimes NFU.

it just struck me as odd, for you and i had never interacted before...let alone had an argument, so it rather struck me as odd to see you get so uptight about me making a statement as broad and harmless as "enslaved are the opeth of black metal". either way, it wasnt a flashy or egotistical statement so for a lesson of humbleness...it seemed a bit frantic. regardless...were cool, alright?

We've had interactions before, but it was some time ago. Ive stayed away from the Opeth forum overall though, as its a bit of a boxing arena.

Anyway, we're cool.

//shakes hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.